Scale Recommendations

Options
I'm finally going to break down and buy a scale. I looked up scale in search and found nothing but anti-scale ish so I'm starting my own thread about it. So what?

So yeah I want my scale to be accurate above all else. The one's I tried at target were always not and even the worker told me he got his at WalMart...wait, what? :noway: :ohwell:

Anyways there's no nearby WalMarts to me except the one where a lady went nutsbonkers at Christmastime over a video game so yeah, I'm not going there.

Anyone can recommend a good scale I can walk out the door and buy tomorrow at a normal place that's everywhere? I'd like it if it doesn't cost a fortune so it doesn't need to sing me songs or do GPS or anything just an accurate scale that tells me a number that's the same for the next 5 times I step on it in that same minute is fine. Any recommendations?

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    funny-quote-haters-crickets.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm not a scale expert, but I got mine 13 years ago at Bed Bath & Beyond and it has worked fine the whole time and still works great. The one I got is called, "Thinner" because it's a slim scale (or at least that was why I always thought they named it that, maybe they just named it that because people are trying to be thinner). Digital is good.

I just checked the prices, they look sort of expensive. $50. Maybe that's normal priced.
  • adioschubs
    adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have one that looks like this by Taylor.

http://www.taylorusa.com/weight-management/glass-electronic-scales/glass-lithium-electronic-scale.html

It's pretty consistent, battery lasts for a while (had it for five + years before getting a new battery) and it was only one or two pounds less than my doctor's old-fashioned scale.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    balance beam scales (doctor scales) are the most accurate from what i heard, but there kinda pricey, about 130 on amazon... other than that I heard digital scales are the mos inaccurate. hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I got this one after doing some research two years ago. Great price. Very consistent. Same things weigh the same every time. I've been pretty happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KXZ808/ref=wms_ohs_product_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to buy a Withing WS-50...

...because it's wifi and automatically updates MFP....

...and that's kind of awesome...

...because nerd.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    balance beam scales (doctor scales) are the most accurate from what i heard, but there kinda pricey, about 130 on amazon... other than that I heard digital scales are the mos inaccurate. hope this helps :flowerforyou:

I think those old fashioned scales with the dial, that you stand on, would be the most inaccurate. They break easily and become unbalanced. As long as it is consistent, that's all that really matters.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    ^ well the one's i was trying at target that sucked for like 20 times 20 different reading with a range of like 5 lbs on either side were the dial ones.

so this is what I was thinking too binary. and it seems like everyone above who likes their scale it's digital and I wish I could get that hella awesome jof one that links to MFP, but two things. ONE i'm gonna buy it soon so I'm not gonna wait to have the affords for that one and.... TWO I wanna reserve the right NOT to tell MFP what the scale says sometimes in case I don't like the answer. LOL.
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    I picked up the FitBit Aria scale - http://www.fitbit.com/aria

It is a little pricier but I also use a FitBit Flex to track my steps through the day and like how the scale uses Wi-Fi to update my weight and body fat % to FitBit.com automatically. Then you can have MFP & FitBit linked to each other so it updates on MFP as well. Either way, I was always of the thought process of if you scale is inaccurate it doesn't really matter as long as you use the same scale every time (i.e. if I weight 300lbs but my scale says I weight 295, then next time I weight in I am 293 I know I have lost 2lbs) and if you ever wanted to know your true weight you could always go to the doctor's office for a checkup, a gym, or even some grocery/pharmacy stores have scales in them for use.
  • cragen01
    cragen01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Aria, which I love using. I love that it syncs automatically to both my fitbit account, and MFP. Provides motivation 2 ways, if you lose weight, it will show in your profile for others to see and comment on. Also, if you happen to gain weight, it will show that in your news feed as well. If you weigh and see you've gone up a little you might not be too apt to updating your weight profile, but now it's done for you. Makes you think twice about how you eat and exercise.

I believe you can of course turn off the auto news feed updates if you desire, I just choose to use them as extra incentive.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    ^ well the one's i was trying at target that sucked for like 20 times 20 different reading with a range of like 5 lbs on either side were the dial ones.

so this is what I was thinking too binary. and it seems like everyone above who likes their scale it's digital and I wish I could get that hella awesome jof one that links to MFP, but two things. ONE i'm gonna buy it soon so I'm not gonna wait to have the affords for that one and.... TWO I wanna reserve the right NOT to tell MFP what the scale says sometimes in case I don't like the answer. LOL.

Then look at a model like I linked - very consistent, very basic and afforable, well made and easy to use, under $30 right now on amazon.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Yeah, the dial ones are terrible.

I wouldn't want/need my scale linked to mfp.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Then look at a model like I linked - very consistent, very basic and afforable, well made and easy to use, under $30 right now on amazon.

Yeah i'm looking at it right now. Hoping to find a store to get it at. Otherwise I'm going with Binary's. And for those on this thread who said I SHOULD tell MFP everything, or that I should go to the dr's office or the gym....

WHY CAN'T YOU BE SUPPORTIVE. OMG!!!!!!!!! AREN'T WE ALL HERE FOR THE SAME REASON.

and actually in earnest to that one guy, yeah I thought that would work but I'm currently on kid lockdown due to summer vacay so I don't go anywhere that's not related to kid stuffs. also i am talking about weighing on the exact same scale at target and getting those different readings I referred to.
  • kellyhargis
    Options
    I use a digital Weight Watchers scale (at home, not at a meeting!) that you can get at either Target, Walmart or Bed Bath and beyond. I think the price will be lower then the Aria dillydad but more than some of the off brands. I cannot remember what mine was. It works pretty well. I only weigh one time a day once a week. If you weight more times than that you will get frustrated because weight changes often. I just use it as a guide to see if I am going down or up. Just like skewatson said, if I weight 305 Monday of one week, then weigh 300 on the Monday, then I have lost 5lbs. Good Luck!:wink:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I use a digital Weight Watchers scale (at home, not at a meeting!) that you can get at either Target, Walmart or Bed Bath and beyond. I think the price will be lower then the Aria dillydad but more than some of the off brands. I cannot remember what mine was. It works pretty well. I only weigh one time a day once a week. If you weight more times than that you will get frustrated because weight changes often. I just use it as a guide to see if I am going down or up. Just like skewatson said, if I weight 305 Monday of one week, then weigh 300 on the Monday, then I have lost 5lbs. Good Luck!:wink:

Well yeah, I get that it will be frustrating if I weigh too often, I'm a big advocate of that. What I was referring to is different weights back to back in the same minute. Like I weigh myself realize oh i forgot to take off my belt, and oh 5 lbs MORE? Wtf? which prompts 20 more weighs in 3 minutes and they all differ from one another. cheap scales do that.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I got this one after doing some research two years ago. Great price. Very consistent. Same things weigh the same every time. I've been pretty happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KXZ808/ref=wms_ohs_product_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the recommendation. I just purchased mine today, even signed up for the free trial for Amazon Prime and will be getting it in 2 days, plus the free shipping. I also had a credit from a previous gift card so there was that.I really needed a digital scale so I'm glad this topic was created.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure with every digital scale you have to weigh like 4 times before you can trust the reading. At any rate, I also have a "Thinner" scale, had it for years and years, haven't had to change the battery yet, but I do step on it at least 3 times before I accept the reading as it sometimes fluctuates within a minute. Usually, 3 readings will be the same and then I will trust them.

With the doctor scale types, you also have to get it calibrated every so often by a professional, so that can add to the expense of those, and contribute to them not being terribly reliable down the road.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have this scale from amazon. It has over 6,000 reviews and its damn good. I always weigh myself 6 times in a roll and it reads the same. Check it out if you like

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032TNPOE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I'm pretty sure with every digital scale you have to weigh like 4 times before you can trust the reading. At any rate, I also have a "Thinner" scale, had it for years and years, haven't had to change the battery yet, but I do step on it at least 3 times before I accept the reading as it sometimes fluctuates within a minute. Usually, 3 readings will be the same and then I will trust them.

With the doctor scale types, you also have to get it calibrated every so often by a professional, so that can add to the expense of those, and contribute to them not being terribly reliable down the road.

The one that I have is surprisingly consistent. And, I don't weigh myself everyday, but I do fairly frequently and it's always the same within a two pound range. I didn't put much research into. I just went to Bed Bath & Beyond and bought it, 13 years ago.