Cure for bloating

Options
I'm sure that this question has been addressed before. I'm so sorry for bringing this up again, but honestly there has not been a single advice that works for me. I have been horribly bloated for the past 7 days, and it is making my life a lot more difficult and uncomfortable, not to mention embarrassing. I'm not experiencing PMS, and I have not been diagnosed with IBS. Here is what I usually eat:

Breakfast: 3 egg whites + 1 banana
Lunch: Usually linguine with tomatoes, olives, and basils, or 3 - 4 pieces of toasts with peanut butter
Afternoon snack: 1/2 - 1 cup of whey protein + fruits (usually bananas or kiwis)
Dinner: jasmine rice, a lot of fish (or some other proteins), stir-fry vegetables (basically a normal Asian dinner as I am in Vietnam right now)

I have done my research, cutting out dairy and food high in fibers out of my diet (which also means bananas and kiwis). I drink 2 liters of water everyday. I don't chew gums, drink carbonated drinks, eat food high in sodium or any processed stuff. I have also taken simethicone for the past 4 days, yet nothing seems to work! Is there anything in my diet that might cause bloating still? Is there any other action you guys suggest that I should take to deal with it? Or maybe I should wait longer as this is still a remnant of me drastically increasing my fiber intake two weeks ago? Should I go to the doctor and get checked out for IBS, and does having IBS mean bloating permanently?

I know these are long and annoying questions. Thank you so much for your patience :)

Replies

• waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    everyone is different and reacts differently to different foods. I was bloated for a long time, could not lose weight etc. I finally went to the doctor and I was tested for food intolerance. I changed my diet accordingly and the weight has dropped off without even trying. I am also no longer bloated. My major food intolerance is cows milk, wheat and anything made from it. I switched to goat/sheep based products and 100% rye bread.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    My husband has had this problem since we started to eat healthier. He started taking activated charcoal and says it helps a lot. We just had it lying around because I add it to my homemade soaps (charcoal is AWESOME in soap by the way. Just had to put that in!), and he saw on the bottle that it said for gas and bloating. He gave it a shot and it worked. He can eat pretty much anything and he says the bloating and gas have been kept at bay wonderfully. I buy mine at Walgreens, so I know it's easy to find and very reasonably priced. It might not work for you, keep that in mind, but it's cheap enough that it might be worth a shot.

Also, don't forget the tried and true remedies. Chew on mint leaves, chamomile tea, rubbing some clove oil on your tummy (clove oil is also great for toothaches), and try adding some yogurt or something with probiotics into your diet.
  • Antoine112
    Antoine112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The egg whites cause a lot of flatulence.
    You could dry roast some garlic cloves in a pan until they turn soft (skins usually peel of at this time) and much on them. It is a healthy snack and is known to lower cholestrol as well. Yoghurt is good too.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Are you living in Vietnam or temporarily staying there? If you are new to the area/food, you could have a travel related problem.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Could you be eating too fast?
    I know if I drink too much water, I get bloated. I have to stop around 6 cups unless I'm really active.
    Running/walking helps move things through the body too, are you active?
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Possible reasons:

- Carbs: 1g carb holds 4 grams of water retention. Wheat tends to be the enemy. It digest slowly yet acts like a sponge taking in water. The more carbs you eat, the more bloat.

- Sodium levels: High sodium levels = water retention. How much olives you eating??? They are fairly high in sodium for just 3~5 pieces.

- Lactose intolerance: A lot of people can't digest milk properly. Bloating, gas usually results.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It could be the adjustment to the fiber, if that is new and the presence of carbs is not.
    I've found that fresh, raw pineapple is fantastic for aiding digestion (and delicious!).
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Best thing to consider first up is what you have changed over the past week from what you've done before.

you've said you have drastically increased fibre. it's usually better for your gut to increase fibre gradually so that your gut has time to adjust. This is a good rule of thumb for any changes to diet.

What have you changed in your diet over the last week or two, aside from fibre? If only the fibre, try reducing it a bit and just increasing it gradually as your body adapts.

I also agree with some comments above that you should consider any travel related issues. If you are drinking a lot of water in Vietnam you may have contracted a bug potentially (ie if you do not live there normally).
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Could be a food intolerance--eggs and dairy are really common in that respect.

Could it be the heat/humidity?
  • sarahhan95
    sarahhan95 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your considerate responses!

@aquarabbit: I just went out and bought some activated charcoal. If you don't mind me being impatient, how long does it take for this to work in your husband's case?

I have lived in Vietnam for all my life but recently came to the United States to study and traveled back every summer. However, I have been here for almost a month before this starts, so I'm not sure if this is a traveling matter. The only new thing I introduced to my diet was sweet potato (which, I read, might cause bloating because of its high fiber content), but I cut them out the moment the bloating starts and nothing has improved (I am actually on a very low fiber level ever since).

If, like JisatsuHoshi said, my bloating is due to my carbs intake, then I'm afraid I have no alternative to that as I run 7 - 10 miles/day and I need that bowl of pasta for fuel :(. I would rather be bloated than not be able to run, but honestly I feel like it's more of a gas build-up as my body doesn't swell up anywhere else but my lower belly.

Again, I appreciate all of your help :)!!! I'll try your suggestions and if nothing else works, I guess a trip to the doctor is needed :(
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    I ALWAYSSSSS feel bloated :( When I feel extra puffy I drink plenty and plenty of water! Usually helps most days
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    A few other things to consider: apple cider vinegar will reduce bloating. Drink 1 to 2 tablespoons in 4 ounces of water as you eat your meals. My husband cannot be bothered with that, he just downs the vinegar and then drinks water if he has problems. The natural pectin in raw apples will also work if you eat them when you are experiencing issues. It takes about 30 to 45 minutes for my system to get relief but I would rather do that than take something else.

Black licorice also is great for gas/bloating/ and travelers revenge when you need it.

Keep experimenting with food and food groups to see if anything could be the issue. I gave up all wheat based products and only eat rice bread, rice cakes, rice pasta and have seen better results.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You're still eating dairy, if you have whey protein. It could also be stress. The combination of travel and changing your diet drastically seems like a likely culprit. Eating the way that you have normally eaten, and making changes gradually might help. Our bodies don't always settle down immediately once something is out of balance.
  • lbgallant
    lbgallant Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A trip to a doctor you know & trust and knows your history should help you find a good Gastroentologist. It sounds possible you could have contracted a parasite as mentioned by another responder. Giargi Lamblia is a common parastie found in water that cause intense bloating and eventually diarreah. There are other types of stomach parasites also - but they HAVE to be treated by someone that can identify the bug and the remedy.
    For symptoms, the advice for charcoal is good and Apple Cider vinegar with the "mother" included. Stay away from RAW vegatables, milk, whey, and unfermented soy - for now. Keep the egg whites and peanut butter. Switch from wheat pasta to white rice (brown rice has the bran and a lot of fiber) for your carbs for running.

Since your food environment is familiar and you're doing a lot of the right things, a long bout of bloating requires a trained eye.
    Good luck.
  • lbgallant
    lbgallant Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Kasey - you should not have to deal with contsant and uncomfortable bloating. Removing some key items from your diet for 5-6 days should tell you if you have a food intolerance causing the bloating. Too much fiber, wheat & milk are the things to eliminate. A lot of people are intolerant of proteins in milk and wheat, or gluten in wheat (not the same as Ciliac which is an allergy to gluten with severe symptoms). Maybe add a probiotic might help also.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    WATER, WATER, WATER! Also banana+ yogurt+ cinnamon(optinal) is the BEST COMBO for belly bloat. Google if yah don't believe!!
    *Bananas
    Bananas, mangoes, asparagus, spinach, tomatoes and nuts are all high in potassium. Foods which are high in potassium also contain an amino acid which helps reduce belly bloat because it helps regulate the fluids in your body by, ultimately, acting as a diuretic. Bananas and other foods that are rich in potassium can all be ideal to eat for anyone who is trying to banish belly bloat.
    *Yogurt
    If you're trying to reduce belly bloat, you may want to think about eating yogurt with probiotics. It is ideal to eat this healthy snack three times a day. Research has shown that yogurt, milk and other low-fat dairy options which are high in calcium can help reduce belly fat. Probiotics are also known to help regulate the digestive system.

Belly Bloat Diet- http://www.familycircle.com/health/weight-loss/diet-plans/belly-bloat-cure-diet/#page=7
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    A trip to a doctor you know & trust and knows your history should help you find a good Gastroentologist. It sounds possible you could have contracted a parasite as mentioned by another responder. Giargi Lamblia is a common parastie found in water that cause intense bloating and eventually diarreah. There are other types of stomach parasites also - but they HAVE to be treated by someone that can identify the bug and the remedy.
    For symptoms, the advice for charcoal is good and Apple Cider vinegar with the "mother" included. Stay away from RAW vegatables, milk, whey, and unfermented soy - for now. Keep the egg whites and peanut butter. Switch from wheat pasta to white rice (brown rice has the bran and a lot of fiber) for your carbs for running.

Since your food environment is familiar and you're doing a lot of the right things, a long bout of bloating requires a trained eye.
    Good luck.

Giardia is a problem in some parts of Vietnam, so if that's where you are, it's entirely plausible.
  • greatwestescape
    Options
    I used to have terrible bloating ... i changed my diet to

-- Live Probiotic (from health food store)
    -- 3 Bananas a day
    -- Reduced sodium to below 1500 a day
    -- Reduced refined carbs
    -- Increased water intake
    -- Increased natural fiber intake (raspberries & blackberries really helped)
    -- 30 Day system cleanse

After completing the system cleanse I haven't been bloated in 3-4 weeks now. I used to get bloated after every meal. This is just my experience but the drastic increase in potassium along with the probiotics seem to help!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've reduced carbs from 150 down to no more than 60, .......can I just tell you how much less bloated feeling I am. WOW, who knew ???
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm definitely less bloated having switched my white carbs for brown.
    However, I used to get really painful bloating, the kind where you feel you're about to explode Alien style, from eating strongly acidic fruit (so far apples and oranges are out). I also dont go near raw veggies for similar reasons, they have to be very well cooked for me to venture near!