How do you get back on track?

Options
I've been in the red for my calorie goal for over three weeks! I usually eat the same foods everyday, changing my meals weekly. And I always eat at the same time. For the past few weeks, I've started snacking after my after dinner snack and now it's become a habit. I can't set aside any extra calories to accommodate these late night eats, which could be as high as 500 calories (usual day has 330 cals for breakfast and 400-500 cals for lunch and dinner, plus 320 cal snacks).

How can I break out of the new habit and get back on track?

P.S. My diary is open.

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat less you have to exercise more. My exercise covers my snacks that day which is usually about 400.
  • ChelseaAClanton89
    ChelseaAClanton89 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea! I could try doing doubles in the evening to add some calories.

Fingers crossed that that doesn't backfire and make me hungrier!
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You also have to forgive yourself so you can move forward and not dwell on past errors.
  • ChelseaAClanton89
    Options
    That's a great idea too. I just realized I hadn't forgiven myself so maybe the guilt I felt was leading to more overeating. I forgave myself today and I feel better all ready!
  • bdbjswbrb
    bdbjswbrb Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issues with getting back on track. Late night eating has had me in a stall for almost six weeks. I decided to go cold turkey on eating after dinner, and I've been mostly successful (weekends are harddd), and finally lost a pound.
  • ChelseaAClanton89
    Options
    I would love to go cold turkey, but after work all I want to do is relax in front of the tv which equals mindless eating :(
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    First you have to mentally look at it as a fresh start every day. Sometimes when you don't forgive yourself you slide into the mindset of "well I went over yesterday, what's one more day?" until before you know it you're overeating every day. Some days I go over a little, some a lot, some not at all. Every day is a fresh start for me :)

When I get hungry in the evening and I've already had all my calories for the day, I'll try having a cup of tea, or some water with lemon/lime. Usually (for me) it's more about the act and motions of eating - and drinking some tea or water fixes it. But - if i do that and I still feel hungry and can't ignore my craving to eat, I eat some slices of turkey, or a piece of chees or fruit - I try snacking on something healthy instead.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I would love to go cold turkey, but after work all I want to do is relax in front of the tv which equals mindless eating :(

I don't do mindless eating in front of the TV anymore. It's usually a large cup of hot tea or decaf. It gives my mouth something to do instead of munching other things and still lets me enjoy the show.

Also I allot a certain amount of cals for late night snack. Or dessert if we go to dinner out. Family loves dessert so I have something with them.