vegan cheese that doesn't suck?

Options
meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
Was wondering if anyone had any brand or recipe to try?

Replies

• suibhne
    suibhne Posts: 17
    Options
    What are you hoping to use it for?

Daiya is the best I've tried. It melts better than any other I've used, probably the reason that Tofurkey uses on its frozen pizzas (of which the Pepperoni is fantastic). Teeze isn't terrible, tho it's hard to find. But all vegan cheeses are bad in some settings and pretty decent in others - they're not as versatile as dairy cheese.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Vegan Cheese - It Melts! is good for a lot of applications, but is only really useful if you are, in fact, melting it. Daiya is also pretty good. As for sliced cheese for sandwiches, there are some good vegan rice cheeses that work well but don't melt for crap, so don't try to make a grilled cheese with them.
  • meeper123
    Options
    To put in like tofu scramblers or but on mexican food or something lol just in general :)
  • meeper123
    Options
    Vegan Cheese - It Melts! is good for a lot of applications, but is only really useful if you are, in fact, melting it. Daiya is also pretty good. As for sliced cheese for sandwiches, there are some good vegan rice cheeses that work well but don't melt for crap, so don't try to make a grilled cheese with them.

Good to know :)
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    "Free and Easy" as a sauce I quite liked. Not very cheesy, but adequate.
  • meeper123
    Options
    You like drizzle it over steamed veggies?
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    cheeze-sauce made from cashews and nutritional yeast! Or like a white sauce made with vegan-margarine, flour, soy milk and nutritional yeast.

In Australia we have Notzarella which melts like mozzarella cheese - fantastic for pizza.

Or nutritional yeast straight on the tacos! YUM!
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Almond "Cheese"--semi related, homemade. This makes a savory cream-cheese-y like spread. Great on sandwiches, pizza, in pasta, lasagnas...

Soak 2 cups almonds overnight. Using a high power blender (Vitamix) blend almonds with 1 cup water, 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, a clove or 2 of garlic, teaspoon of salt + to taste. Blend until smooth and creamy. Keeps 1 week covered in fridge.

On another note, here is a great easy "alfredo" sauce
    1 cup raw cashews, 1.5 cups water, 1 clove garlic, 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, salt (1 teaspoon-ish) and pepper to taste. Blend on high until creamy. It will be watery. Optional: add dried herbs. Stove top simmer and stir until thickness you desire is reached. You can always add more water.. If you make it thicker it can be used like a cream cheese in sandwiches/puff pastries or keep more saucy and serve with pasta. Wonderful stuff I always have around.

I like diaya but am using it less and less, preferring my own "cheezy" spreads and sauces instead as they are pretty darn good.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Have no luck finding nutritional yeast so far but i hope to find a whole foods or something
  • meeper123
    Options
    Almond "Cheese"--semi related, homemade. This makes a savory cream-cheese-y like spread. Great on sandwiches, pizza, in pasta, lasagnas...

Soak 2 cups almonds overnight. Using a high power blender (Vitamix) blend almonds with 1 cup water, 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, a clove or 2 of garlic, teaspoon of salt + to taste. Blend until smooth and creamy. Keeps 1 week covered in fridge.

1 cup raw cashews, 1.5 cups water, 1 clove garlic, 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, salt (1 teaspoon-ish) and pepper to taste. Blend on high until creamy. It will be watery. Optional: add dried herbs. Stove top simmer and stir until thickness you desire is reached. You can always add more water.. If you make it thicker it can be used like a cream cheese in sandwiches/puff pastries or keep more saucy and serve with pasta. Wonderful stuff I always have around.

I like diaya but am using it less and less, preferring my own "cheezy" spreads and sauces instead as they are pretty darn good.

That sounds good indeed
  • sinistras
    Options
    Goggle Skinny B!tch in the Kitch Mac N Cheese if you want a great "yellow/American cheese" sauce. It is the best. It uses some store bought cheeses but you also use a ton of squash in the sauce. But it is also great and would be really good in your mexican tacos/scrambles. You can make and freeze in smaller batches.
  • sinistras
    Options
    Have no luck finding nutritional yeast so far but i hope to find a whole foods or something

You can always buy KAL brand nutritional yeast online...although I couldn't tell ya who has the best price.
  • meeper123
    Options

You can always buy KAL brand nutritional yeast online...although I couldn't tell ya who has the best price.

Thanks thats sounds amazing amazon might be my last resort :)
  • ampstin
    ampstin Posts: 3
    Options
    Daiya pepper jack shredded cheese is my favorite. It has a somewhat strange texture to it, but melts well and is quite tasty!
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the go veggie imitation cheese slices for over two years now and love them. To me processed cheese tastes bad with the exception of string cheese; I also drink soy/almond milk. They come in a wide variety; swiss, american and cheddar flavors and they also make a parmesan cheese powder. I think the only exception to lactose in my diet is cottage cheese and greek yogurt/frozen yogurt.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    There's even real cheese that sucks, if that makes you feel better. :smile:
  • imfittted
    imfittted Posts: 73 Member
    Options

sounds great
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Daiya is the best I've tried. It melts better than any other I've used, probably the reason that Tofurkey uses on its frozen pizzas (of which the Pepperoni is fantastic). Teeze isn't terrible, tho it's hard to find. But all vegan cheeses are bad in some settings and pretty decent in others - they're not as versatile as dairy cheese.

This, my husband is forced to use it and likes it the best and he is picky.
  • imfittted
    imfittted Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the go veggie imitation cheese slices for over two years now and love them. To me processed cheese tastes bad with the exception of string cheese; I also drink soy/almond milk. They come in a wide variety; swiss, american and cheddar flavors and they also make a parmesan cheese powder. I think the only exception to lactose in my diet is cottage cheese and greek yogurt/frozen yogurt.

Go Veggie cheese is not actually vegan; just a note. Unfortunately too because my Giant Eagle sells 4 varieties of that but only one variety of vegan cheese.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Daiya is probably the best easily available vegan cheese. If you want a mac and cheese replacement I used to make a sauce with soy milk, nutritional yeast, margarine, garlic, and salt. Ge generous with the garlic and salt and you will get a pretty decent tasting cheesy sort of sauce that you can put on macaroni. I used to add morningstar farms crumble and make a sort of hamburger helper. Any vegan cheese replacement you try is going to be an "acquired taste", in general they aren't as good as the real thing.

NOTE: I was vegan for 10 years, and am now ovo-lacto.