Need help calculating Calorie needs

Options
I am 5 ft 4 female weighing 143lbs. Bmr of 1420 I think. Office work 3 days a week, Walk 2 miles twice a week, Strength train total body 3 times week, doing 6 compound exercises for 4 sets of 8, takes about 40 mins using around 35-40 kgs on barbell and do hiit for 25-30 mins twice a week. I have no idea what my calorie burn should be or how many calories I should eat to lose fat.

I may have a damaged metabolism as I was eating around 800 calories a day for years and cardio 6 days a week and stopped losing and started gaining. But a year and a half ago changed all that, cut down on cardio and started weight training, I started upping calories but I haven't been able to lose since. my body is holding fat. Please can someone advise me what to do.

Replies

• louloubi
    louloubi Posts: 6
    Options
    First try to find your TDEE
    follow this link http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

try splitting you macros 40% protein, 40% carbs 20% heathy fats

1 gr of fats = 9 cal
    1 gr of carbs = 4 cal
    1 gr of protein = 4 cal

if you eat 500 calories less than you TDEE you should lose 1 pound a week or more

Good luck
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I was eating around 800 calories a day for years and cardio 6 days a week and stopped losing and started gaining.

Why am I having an extremely hard time believing this.....fat storage is an evolutionary response that allowed our ancestors to survive periods of famine. If you're eating at an extreme deficit for an extended period of time there is a metabolic adaptation but it does not include increased fat storage.

I'm inclined to think you may have thought you were eating 800 cals per day when in fact your intake was significantly higher......
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

go there, put in your numbers... gives you TDEE... - 20% and you have your goal.

Forgot to mention, you DO NOT eat back your exercise calories with this method. I eat my TDEE once or twice a week to mess up my metabolism (it's usually a 'snack' or some wine). Otherwise, I'm pretty strict at staying at my 1,800 calories a day.

Good luck!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, 138 lbs, and have a simlar workout routine - probably more walking than you though. My BMR is about the same, but my TDEE is close to 2300-2400, so I'm losing slow and steady at 1900-2000/day and I don't worry about tracking exercise calories anymore. Macros are 35C/35P/30F. Best of luck!