Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Can anyone recommend a HRM? Do most people use a watch or one with a chest strap?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What do you want it for exactly?
  • SquishyChef
    SquishyChef Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I only need something basic enough. Just want to be able to track heart rate and calories burned. Something i can take running with me. Thanks
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 310 watch, it is one of the cheaper Garmins but it does the job. This watch comes with a strap which I think makes it more accurate
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT60 and love it. You'll want to go with one with a chest strap. It will keep constant tabs on your heart rate for a more accurate calculation of calorie burn. The ones that are only watches require you to stop and measure your heart rate every so often, so can only use a heart rate average in its calculations.

I noticed you said you want to take it running. I bought my hrm more than a year ago before I was even into running. But now that I am, I found I really wanted a gps watch that would accurately track my mileage and pace. I wish now that I would have gotten something that does it all. So now I wear a hrm on one wrist and forerunner 10 on the other.

Consider where you might be in your fitness a year from now and save up for something nice. I hate when upgraditis strikes.
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. With chest strap. It is amazing. Super simple to set up, and very simple to operate. Tells me HR and calories burned.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I only need something basic enough. Just want to be able to track heart rate and calories burned. Something i can take running with me. Thanks

Are you looking for something to track distance/pace as well or just HR and calories?

If you want GPS capabilities I am a fan of the Garmin. Be aware that not all models that have a HRM feature use that for calorie esitmates. Some models do, but there are a few that don't.
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Although I now use a Garmin 910TX before then I had a Polar FT7, inexpensive, reliable and easy to use. It's a watch and chest strap that shows your current heart rate, calories burned, maximum heart rate etc and can be uploaded (via an add on) to the Polar website.
  • rtjenny
    rtjenny Posts: 51
    Options
    I use a polar FT40 - ( women's version) - its very good. Easy to use and accurately tracks calories burned. I worked out a rough ratio using my husband's calorie burned from his Garmin GPS and it works out pretty well.

Check out amazon - that's where I got mine.
  • Ianharrison9988
    Ianharrison9988 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There are some basic ones out there and some that wlill also link to you smartphone but be aware that not all chest straps work with all phones. I have been struggling to find something that will work with my Sony Xperia U as it does not have ANT+ This means I am restricted to a watch but the app technology means you can download and monitor progress throughout the workout.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a basis watch ( constant heart rate, calories and steps) - I love it, but there is a waiting list to get one
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Polar FT7 .. very basic and very easy to use. Doesn't sync unless you buy accessories but if all you want is a number then this does the job perfectly.
  • SquishyChef
    SquishyChef Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've plenty to research now!
  • clew77
    clew77 Posts: 34
    Options
    Polar FT4 :)