Heartburn

Options
I've never had heartburn but maybe a handful of times in my life, but since last saturday I have had it consistently and very severely. It burns from the bottom of my stomache all the way up my throat. It doesn't matter what I eat, drink, or dont eat or drink, I still have in constantly. Incidently I am allergic to charcoal, which means there's no pill I can take to tame it since most all are charcoal based. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get it gone? The past three days I have drank milk with every meal and that has helped some, but it doesn't get rid of it. Any suggestions would be GREAT.

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. NOW!
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Since you have had heartburn so infrequently in your life, I believe not only does it need to be relieved, BUT you must find out what is causing it. Something you've added to your diet recently? Could it be it's not simple heartburn, but gastroenteritis? Is there any possibility that you could be pregnant? I agree, you need to be seen by your doctor.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    It might actually be the milk...

But I do agree - go see a doc, they can definitely help you out. I used to get heartburn a lot and just self treated with tums. Once I started eating better and exercising more the incidents petered out and I don't really have the problem anymore.
  • SarahElittlebit
    SarahElittlebit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was always told to eat plain bread instead of milk. Definitely see your doctor.
  • lfholland
    lfholland Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    To me your problem sounds more like acid reflux. Basically what happens is the muscle that is supposed to keep the acid in your stomach is malfunctioning. Losing weight helps more than anything, but there are somethings you want to stay clear of:

Carbonation
    Smoking (nicotine causes the problem, not the smoke)
    Foods high in fat
    Caffeine
    Mint

Wearing clothes that are too tight can cause this too. Also, you want to avoid bending over and sleeping slightly upright will help if you can tolerate it.

As others have said, I would go see a doctor. I dealt with this problem for almost a year before seeing Dr. and I was on the verge of getting a hole in my esophagus.
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, just schedule a doctor's appointment!