New to MFP....advice, tips for a newbie

Options
Hello everyone! I am brand new to MFP and this is my first time ever on a message board anywhere......a total newbie!!! I have been reading through some of the posts and am so encouraged by all of you. I have 125lbs to lose which seems so overwhelming to me most days....until I came here. So many of you have lost 100+ lbs already and many of you are well on your way to doing so.....I now feel it is possible! I welcome any advice or tips from those of you already on your weight loss journey. What are some of the first changes to make, the first steps to take? Any recommendations for someone just starting off......would love to hear from you! Thanks so much!

Replies

• monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    1. Being honest with your tracking
    2. weighing and measuring food
    3. Learning Cognitive Behavioural Therapy techniques to help you say no to trigger foods
    4. Moving. in some way. every day.
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Track everything and be honest. The smartphone app has a nice scanning feature which helps to accurately enter nutritional info. Watch what MFP gives you for calories on your exercise, they seem to be inflated. Splurge once in awhile. Dieting and exercise can get dull.
  • slr90
    slr90 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stay hydrated, often we snack thinking we are hungry when it can be that we are mistaking thirst for hunger, so when you feel like snacking have a glass of water if you still feel hungry after about 20 mins then go ahead and have a healthy snack. Also ask yourself, 'am I really hungry? would I eat an apple now?', to help prevent the boredom munchies :)