TOUGH cardio dvds needed!

jo_marnes
jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
Hey all, I'm currently doing NROLFW and I'm needing a couple of intense cardio workouts to add to my week. I am particularly looking for home dvds for the days when the weather prevents running or I can't get to a class. I have done 30DS (and nearly all the other JM dvds). I'm currently using the plyo from P90X but having used it for over a year it is no longer challenging. Any suggestions?

Replies

• skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    I am currently doing Hip Hop abs and it gives you a good workout and is fun. I am also going to try Insanity.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    I love fire 60 from Turbofire. I find it pretty challenging.
  • sorry, what is NROLFW?

and i've done 1 session of hip hop abs and i have to disagree - it's a horrible workout for intensity.

if you want intensity, you'll need to go with insanity.

also, turbo fire is a big turn off in a sense that there are so many breaks in between the movements that your HR almost goes back down to baseline.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Insanity or Focus T25.

Pure Cardio from Insanity is probably one of the most craziest cardio set I've ever done...
  • Insanity or Focus T25.

Pure Cardio from Insanity is probably one of the most craziest cardio set I've ever done...

FT25 was a big disappointment after asylum and insanity IMO
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Insanity looking like the fave so far..... thanks
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Agreed...go with Insanity
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Why? I'm not saying this in a snarky way (for once).

Your a runner and lifting. Why would you need a DVD workout?

As a male. If it wasn't a lifting day, or or I couldn't run/get to the gym. I'd call it a rest day.
    The most I would do is just body-weight exercises. (pushups etc.). About the last thing I would do is to go look for a work out DVD. I'm just generally curious. (also if any other males turn to workout DVDs, I'd like to know that too).
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    If you're doing NROL, you might want to look at T25 - it's shorter than Insanity. I haven't tried to do the two of them (Insanity & NROL) together but have done Insanity in the past and am doing NROL now. From what I've read, people recommend either one or the other, to keep from overtraining. Insanity can be really hard on your body (but it's an amazing workout). I agree that Hip Hop Abs isn't really a super intense workout.
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    I think jm has released a new dvd series called total body revolution. I'm going to get this soon as I'm currently doing all three shreds in a row (not to say that isn't a challenge but i need something else waiting to go). That said i have got insanity to try too :)
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Why? I'm not saying this in a snarky way (for once).

Your a runner and lifting. Why would you need a DVD workout?

As a male. If it wasn't a lifting day, or or I couldn't run/get to the gym. I'd call it a rest day.
    The most I would do is just body-weight exercises. (pushups etc.). About the last thing I would do is to go look for a work out DVD. I'm just generally curious. (also if any other males turn to workout DVDs, I'd like to know that too).

As a woman with two very young kids (also training fir a half marathon) home workouts are really useful when i cant get out to run or need to train in other areas. But i like ones that incorporate lots of strength and resistance. I can't say i know many men who use a workout dvd. My partner would be the last to ever do that...
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    I'm finding the tapout dvds to be challenging. Is there really anything harder than P90X? I've never done it, but I thought it was like the elite of dvd workouts. Maybe you could turn on some motivating music and create your own workout using the hardest moves you can think of.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Insanity, as others have said, has really good cardio. There is also The Asylum which is supposed to be ever harder than Insanity is!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Fitness Blender (a website, not a DVD) has some rather intense looking HIIT videos. I'm actually going to incorporate those into my workout starting next week as I'm starting a new cycle of Wendler, and I won't be race training anymore.
  • BeverlyHillsCop
    BeverlyHillsCop Posts: 94 Member
    I'm giving my vote to Insanity. Love it. Swear by it.
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Since you feel the plyometrics for p90x is too easy i would say move up to p90x 2 PLYOCIDE
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    INSANITY!! I don't do cardio anymore, but when I did, I loved Pure Cardio. I cut out cardio when I did NROLFW, and that was about a year ago.
  • Eowyn99
    Eowyn99 Posts: 26 Member
    Insanity! Is tough but is worth it. ;-)
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Insanity or Focus T25.

FT25 was a big disappointment after asylum and insanity IMO

I've been pretty happy with it so far but that's cuz I'm quite short on time and Insanity was a big commitment. Can't really find an excuse not to do T25 when it's only 25 minutes and I do get a pretty good workout.

Haven't done Asylum, that looks way scary!
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Bob Harper's dvd is really difficult (I don't know if there's more than one). Jillian's dvds are like a rest day after trying his.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Cathe Fredrich has a lot. The Tabata one from the xtrain series is great! Lots of others too!
  • rdean150
    rdean150 Posts: 6 Member
    One more vote for Insanity here.

As someone who did P90X off and on for about a year and a half before moving on to Insanity, I will say that it makes Plyo X look like a cake walk.

If you want to keep the time commitment down, then as others have said, the Pure Cardio routine is your best bet. It's just a little over 30 minutes. If you want all-out maximum cardio intensity, then go with the Max Interval Circuit or Max Interval Plyo. They're about an hour long, but they will seriously rock your world.

I haven't tried Asylum, but plan to give it a shot after I finish Insanity (just two more weeks to go).
  • jjkarnitz
    jjkarnitz Posts: 55
    If you don't want to pay for Insanity, check out Zuzka Light Power Cardio. For about 15 bucks on Amazon you get 12 workouts. Each workout is 10-15 minutes long but it is INTENSE. You can also see a lot of her workouts on Youtube if you look her up (and it you're not like me and don't need a DVD, you might be able to get the same kind of workouts for free). So sometimes I add it to the end of a lighter intensity activity, or sometimes I do two of them back to back (I did that today after Jillian Michaels Kickboxing Fastfix. Jillian's DVD felt like a warmup compared to Zuzka.) They are the TOUGHEST workouts I own. Let me know if you try them, tell me what you think!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Oh wow, they need to make a MFP for senior citizens!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Assuming you're following NROLFW to the letter, you shouldn't be adding in much cardio. With a program that places that much emphasis on strength training, cardio tends to take a back seat. That is not an oversight, but on purpose. A program that operates at that level when it comes to strength training requires a lot of recovery between workouts.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Don't use dvd's and make your own routines
  • MsWallwoman
    MsWallwoman Posts: 161
    Jair Love DVD's are awesome. She has a bunch to choose from depending on what you are looking for. You should check it out, I enjoy them. :wink:
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    My vote goes to Bob Harper's Inside Out Method Body Rev Cardio Conditioning. (Only $3.99 on his website)
    60 minutes of goodness!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Fitness Blender (a website, not a DVD) has some rather intense looking HIIT videos. I'm actually going to incorporate those into my workout starting next week as I'm starting a new cycle of Wendler, and I won't be race training anymore.

Red Light Green Light on Fitness Blender is 18 minutes of HIIT hell. They have longer ones on there, too.

ETA also agreeing with Jari Love, she's tough. I think a lot of her workouts use a step, but you don't have to, and I'm throwing Jackie Warner out there, too.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Assuming you're following NROLFW to the letter, you shouldn't be adding in much cardio. With a program that places that much emphasis on strength training, cardio tends to take a back seat. That is not an oversight, but on purpose. A program that operates at that level when it comes to strength training requires a lot of recovery between workouts.

This is my opinion as well. If you are following New Rules and you aren't in the cardio phase yet (it gets added in phase 2) you shouldn't be doing any intense cardio as your body needs time to recover from the lifts.