What should I drink while i am running

Options
While I have been running I have a water bottle I sip on. I have been wondering if I should be drinking something else.

Water?
Sports drink?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    How long is your run? Distance, duration, intensity?
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    Options
    In my honest opinion Wtaer must be the best thing for it... though admittedly I end up drinking powerade zero much of the time haha
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I drink water.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This. Also climate, do you sweat above average?
  • brandiwells1
    brandiwells1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I run at 5.5 for 3o min. 2.5 to 3 miles is my goal.
  • brandiwells1
    Options
    [/quote]
    This. Also climate, do you sweat above average?
    [/quote]

I sweat pretty good
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Beer while running, whiskey after.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Then I'd say continue drinking water. Honestly, you're not running far enough to warrant anything else.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be worried about water. It isn't necessary. If you want to drink it, that's fine but it isn't required. I wouldn't do a sports drink for less than an hour, probably more. I don't do water for less than an hour.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Love love love raw coconut water when working out. It gives a bit of natural sugar, good nutrients, electrolytes, and it is good for you.

I drink either "Harmless harvest" raw coconut water, or get the water straight out of a green coconut. All others taste wrong.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

I agree with the posters that say water is fine for that far.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You really should judge it on how your body reacts to running. The general rule I have been taught that anything under 60 minutes you can generally stick with water, anything over then you should be sipping on something with some electrolytes. But again, that depends on your body.

You can use your body to judge. If you are sipping on water while running, and then later on in your run your stomach feels like a half full water jug with a sloshy feeling, that usually means you need electrolytes (your body stopped intaking fluids due to loss of them).

For recovery fluids, weigh yourself before and after your runs, usually it is 16oz of water per pound lost. Eventually, you should be able to judge it without having to weigh yourself, but that will give you a start of what to expect on runs.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    At that distance, I would only drink water. It sounds like you are running on a treadmill, and so have climate control. If that's the case, you may not need to do much in terms of elctrolyte replacement other than eat well - but if you are sweating a lot, whether running in the heat or not, then be sure to get electrolytes during the day. I like coconut water or smart water, but if my mileage is high I go for G2.
  • brandiwells1
    Options
    You really should judge it on how your body reacts to running. The general rule I have been taught that anything under 60 minutes you can generally stick with water, anything over then you should be sipping on something with some electrolytes. But again, that depends on your body.

You can use your body to judge. If you are sipping on water while running, and then later on in your run your stomach feels like a half full water jug with a sloshy feeling, that usually means you need electrolytes (your body stopped intaking fluids due to loss of them).

For recovery fluids, weigh yourself before and after your runs, usually it is 16oz of water per pound lost. Eventually, you should be able to judge it without having to weigh yourself, but that will give you a start of what to expect on runs.

Thanks! :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be worried about water. It isn't necessary. If you want to drink it, that's fine but it isn't required. I wouldn't do a sports drink for less than an hour, probably more.
    Then I'd say continue drinking water. Honestly, you're not running far enough to warrant anything else.

Agreed with above. If you want water, that's your choice and that's fine, but you don't need it for that duration....let alone a sports drink.
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    Options
    I take a bottle of water with me everytime
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    There was actually a thing on Panorama about this months ago. Water is the best thing. In order for sports drinks etc to have the effects they claim to have on the bottle you need to be doing at least 90 mins worth of activity like footballers etc.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You should do what works for you. Personally I wouldn't need to drink anything during a run that distance, and just drink water before and after.
  • JDySart777
    JDySart777 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Beer while running, whiskey after.

tumblr_mbfpajBGRF1rrc78e.gif
    sounds about right :drinker:
  • Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Rum, it makes you run faster.