Question for those who have lost a lot of weight......

Options
13»

Replies

• pendii
    pendii Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about not really liking that term cheat day. When I had tried to lose weight in the past, Iallowed myself cheat days and that was my undoing. One round attempting to lose weight, I think I actually gained more than I lost before giving up once again for a while.

July of last year was when I finally started making lasting changes, and that is when my weight loss really started going. I think the biggest thing is to be honest with yourself, no matter what. Be aware of what you are putting into your body. I have changed my eating habits quite a bit, but that doesn't mean I don't eat not so healthy foods still sometimes. I am just aware of how many calories are going in and I control the amounts. I still eat pizza sometimes, but I only have one piece if the rest of my day is going good. Or maybe only halfa piece with some salad. Is really all about balance. I haven't denied myself anything, but as you change your habits, what you desire to eat does change. It is so strange, but it is true. If I have more than a small amount of junk food now, it actually makes me feel really sick. That didn't used to happen.

But I will tell you that I am definitely not perfect. I mess up once in a while. But I really believe that allowing cheat days set you up for sabotage. A whole day of eating whatever you want definitely can undo an entire week of being good. It is a better approach to let yourself have a small treat everyday that is built into your calories rather than to throw the diet out the window for a whole day.

That being said, today is a new day. Don't be too hard on yourself. You can't undo the mess ups, but you can do better in the future. Just take things one day at a time. and also, exercise is key. There is no way I ever would have gotten where I am without exercise.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "cheat days", too. I've lost over 70 pounds, mostly being low carb. BUT there were quite a few pizzas, ice creams, chocolates, french fries and other various non-low carb things thrown in there- not to mention the times Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo and the Grey Goose came to party (technically low carb, but they aren't fooling anybody).

IMO, being completely strict and rigid can lead to failure for some people. Because if you slip up even a little, there's a tendency to be like, "Oh screw this, bring me a twinkie sundaes and pitcher of margaritas and keep 'em comin'!"

Our bodies are amazing and a couple of big meals aren't going to derail you as much as you might think.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I call them "FREE" days, and I'm a firm believer in them. It gives me a break from logging (I just log "free day" and click "Complete" in the morning.) and allows me to indulge in those things I've been craving that I don't typically allow myself (like candy and ice cream). They also motivate me because I usually feel like CRAP after having them (after eating healthy the rest of the week). They remind me that food is NOT the answer!

I factor my free days into my math. I counted the calories on my free days for a few weeks until I knew what my number was (about 1,800 calories over my TDEE!). If I have a free day once a week, that means I have to cut 300 calories the other 6 days to compensate for my free day. If I have a free day every two weeks, I have to cut about 140 calories from the other 13 days.

It all comes back to the simple math of weight-loss. You can eat anything you want as long as you take responsibility for it and realize that the numbers are what the numbers are - and you have to deal with them!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!