Can I burn the calories Ive been over for the week?

Options
Makoce
Makoce Posts: 938 Member
I was on a trip this week and things were hectic.
I unfortunately couldn't keep up and was over 1,450 calories this week total.

I was going to go to the gym today and tomorrow and try to burn that number off.

Is that something I can do?

Or is it kinda too late now because it would put my daily intake under since I wouldn't be eating it back for the day?

Replies

• ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    sure. this is a marathon, not a sprint.

If you're under by the end of the week.. month... you're still under.

ETA: 1450 / 7 = 207 calories over per day. Not a big thing.

Honestly, I wouldn't even try to burn that many... this is close to maintenance (depending on goals). Just pick back up this week and keep the deficit. No big deal.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    A surplus of 1450 calories was probably more of a maintenance level and not a level that would cause you to gain but even if it did cause you to gain it would be less than 1/2 pound. My point is, it's not too late, but it's not absolutely necessary that you burn them either because you really didn't lose any ground.

I always look at calorie deficit / surplus over time, usually at least a week. I would try to burn an additional 200 calories each day this week instead of all at once if you really want to compensate for last week.
  • hpilon27
    hpilon27 Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm thinking just write that week off and get back to your regular routine. Do a little extra exercise if it makes you feel better :-)
  • Nitro2310
    Nitro2310 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    spin burns calories 60 min of spin @ 15mph avg burns in the range of 900
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same thing. This is why I wish MFP would put a button or allow you to see what you'd weight if you ate like "this" for the week, for 5 weeks, instead of just a day, because some days I have days when I go way over, and that feedback is totally skewed then. I think a week basis would be more indicative.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is a good question and I am not an expert but my guess would be not to try and burn all that off in a day. Your body needs fuel to burn calories and that would be a huge deficit for one day. Try to burn it off in a week instead or even in 3 days. If you have your goal to lose 1lb a week, change it to 2 for a week or so and then go back.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Yeah. I wasn't sure. Especially because I watched that show "I use to be fat" and the girl burned 7,000 calories at the gym one day. I wonder what she ate for the day.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Yeah. I wasn't sure. Especially because I watched that show "I use to be fat" and the girl burned 7,000 calories at the gym one day. I wonder what she ate for the day.
    ignore TV shows for that mess.
  • Makoce
    Options

Ahaha. I know. I know better.
    Just was saying out of curiosity.
  • trogalicious
    Options

Ahaha. I know. I know better.
    Just was saying out of curiosity.

They probably still ate lean proteins, veg... and then just spent 12 hours on the elliptical / stair climber.
  • Makoce
    Options
    I ment more like how many calories. Assuming she didn't eat anything back. But oh well, I'll probably just burn 200-300 a day this week.