37 yr old mom of a 3yr old, looking for other older moms

Options
I'm a 37 yr old mom of a 3yr old boy. I have three other kids (all girls), ages 17, 14, and 14. My desire to have a boy lead me to having him later in life. What I didn't expect was that he would have an enormous amount of energy and I would have zero. When my girls were young, I was also young, still in my early twenties. Of course I had lots of energy and was about 80 pounds lighter. Now, I'm at 251 and don't have the energy to play with my son. I'm looking for other older mothers who can inspire and encourage me to lose this weight, just so I can have the energy to play with my son and enjoy being with him.

Replies

• luvmysixers
    Options
    Hey good morning. I am just staring on my journey to loose some weight. I am 43 and I have a 9 year old son and 7 year old boy/girl twins. I am about 285 and I agree with you about not having the energy to keep up with my kids. I think the biggest disappointment is going to amusement parks and not being able to fit on any of the rides. We are planning a trip to Disney in February and I need to lose, so that I can enjoy the park with my kids. Lets go!!
  • k1214
    k1214 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and have 3 kids - 6 1/2, 5, and 3 1/2. I definitely want to have more energy to keep up with and enjoy them! I also found once I gave myself "permission" to focus on my health and wellness, and let go of the mom guilt of not focusing all of my energy on my kids, my journey became easier :) Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • Dessiyoga
    Dessiyoga Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi I'm 37 as well, I have three boys aged 14, 6 and 4. I hope I have a grand daughter one day. ))) My house is full of boys! I will be happy to cheer you on your way to fitness. I am sending you a request.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Eeeeek! I'm also 37 and have a 3 year old....but I usually don't think of myself as an older mom. LOL
  • amberyl1
    amberyl1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, there. I am 36 with a precocious 4.5 year old. Always asking to go out and do things and I have no energy to do them!. I'm about 250 now and want to get to 150. Just starting out, too, and could use the encouragement. I have been putting it off and putting it off with many starts and stops on this journey. My health is suffering and I want to be around to see my boy grow up! Let's do this!
  • snookie918
    snookie918 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    37's not old ;) I'm 34 and have a 4 year old and 1 year old and I hear you on the lack of energy! Their favourite 'game' to play is to have me chase them which can be so tiring.
    I'm just starting my journey today, good luck to you ... we can do this!! :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 37 in 6 months and also have a three year old - plus 3 others.

Must admit I don't think of myself as an older mum but do understand about the energy.

Please feel free to add me.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm a 37 yr old mom of a 3yr old boy. I have three other kids (all girls), ages 17, 14, and 14. My desire to have a boy lead me to having him later in life. What I didn't expect was that he would have an enormous amount of energy and I would have zero. When my girls were young, I was also young, still in my early twenties. Of course I had lots of energy and was about 80 pounds lighter. Now, I'm at 251 and don't have the energy to play with my son. I'm looking for other older mothers who can inspire and encourage me to lose this weight, just so I can have the energy to play with my son and enjoy being with him.

Read the book Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey. Basically, if you want to change your brain and your body, you need to do aerobic exercise.
  • pamt1999
    pamt1999 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm 44 and have a 3 yr old (she'll be 4 in August). I also have a 15 year old, 12 year old and 9 year old.
  • mrsmkj06
    mrsmkj06 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses! I don't want to limit my friends on here, but I also wanted friends who could relate. I know being overweight in and of itself can leave you with no energy for your kids, but age seems to definitely add an extra burden. I look forward to sharing this journey with all of you. My first goal is to lose 5% of my body weight, then 10%, 25 lbs, 50 lbs, and then 75 lbs. I'm really interested in trying the C25K, but I'm not sure I can run any distance at my current weight. If anyone has tried it and been successful, feel free to give me some advice. Or whatever you have done that has helped with your weightloss would be very encouraging. Thanks again!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 with a 7 year old (boy) and 4 year old (girl). And they're both into EVERYTHING (skating, dance, baseball, football, etc...) I hear you on the no energy thing because we are constantly on the move!
  • amammaa4
    amammaa4 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, 37.... Not old! Isn't 40 the new 20 :)
    I'm 39 with 4 kids, 19,17,9 and 4. Feel free to add me
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Older mom? DUDE!!!! SERIOUSLY? ;-)

I am a 36 year "young" mom of twins. I lost 46 lbs and 16% body fat in last year through sheer workout and better eating habits. Feel free to add as a friend.
  • mrsmkj06
    mrsmkj06 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I consider myself to still be young on the inside, but my body keeps screaming "old mom" because of my lack of energy. LOL!
  • mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and just had my fourth 7 months ago. I've lost almost 60 pounds since then. Feel free to add me!
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi again.

I started off with C25k last year and enjoyed it - unfortunately had to stop due to ill health and injury but have been back at this year - doing a zombie version.

You can download it for free so the best advice is too give it a go or if you are not sure just start walking for a month or so and build up your time/distance. Just make sure that you get some running shoes properly fitted as that is where most injuries happen.
  • shafikes
    shafikes Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am 37 with 3 beautiful teenage daughters: 14,13 and 12. I just lost my first 10 pounds. Only 56 more pounds until I reach my first goal. I am a stay at home mom but full time taxi driver to my three active children. Ready to get fit so I can Keep up with them:)

Friend request sent. Lets do this!
  • ambershayfischer
    Options
    Hello, Im also a 37 year old mother of 3, I have 2 boys and 1 girl, so far I have lost 32lbs in about a year. I have always worked out but have come to realize that almost being 38 with kids , work and running everyone around things have gotten harder. I cut out alcohol, bad fats and sugar( for the most part) lol. Becoming a part of the fitness classes at my gym has really motivated me and you will make friends in group fitness settings that help hold you accountable! I rarely every have the energy to go the gym but I go 5 days a week and I feel AWESOME after Im done. My kids love the daycare there too, that helps alot!:wink:
  • ULC_Jennifer
    ULC_Jennifer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    37 is not old!

I just turned 40 and also have a little boy (2) after having three girls. The more active I stay the better my energy so I have been using that as my motivation.