Question about gluten

Options
I have a condition called exercise induced hives and was wondering if anyone else out there has this. I have read that going on a gluten free diet has helped the symptoms. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have read this as well and I would try it out if I were you if it would help you not to have hives! Good Luck
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    going gluten free can help any number of different symptoms. because gluten digests so slowly, when you take it out of your diet, your body has less work to do. i had an issue previously with rashes and hair-loss. cut the gluten, and noticed overall improvement. there have also been reports that gluten free diets can assist with the affects of mental hinderances (such as autism or dementia,) and even issues with reproduction and impotency. it doesn't hurt anything to reduce or remove it from your diet. if this is self induced, try it out for a month or so. yes, you have to be a little creative with cooking, but you may notice some improvements. :)

good luck.
  • jinxikat72
    jinxikat72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    YES! I have exercise induced hives as well. Since I have gone gluten free, I have noticed a definite improvement. I still get red and when I push myself really hard, I get a little bit itchy... but I haven't had a full blown hive outbreak since I changed my diet. It also helps to take a non-drowsy allergy tablet about an hour before you work out. I also make sure I have lots of cold water on hand and drink it all during my work-out. And if I start to get itchy, I hold the cold water bottle against my skin. Hope all of that helps and Good Luck!
  • serbyn03
    serbyn03 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you! Do you have any certain website that you go on for recipes or helpful tips? :)
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i dont get hives from exercise, but my neck and face used to turn red BAD when i ate. thought it was because i ate too fast maybe but ive been GF for about 2.5 months now and ive noticed i dont turn red anymore
  • jinxikat72
    jinxikat72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The site http://www.gfoverflow.com/index.php is a great site if you just want to search for products that are gluten-free. As far as recipes, I just take any recipe and make substitutions. For example, I still have spaghetti, I just use rice pasta or Nasoya Pasta Plus Zero. Substituting bread is tough - I haven't yet found a gluten-free bread that I like. They all seem to have funky textures. LOL I do love gluten free crackers by Schar. I love LOVE the gluten-free pizza by Glutino. All of these products I find in my normal big chain grocery store (Giant). If you want something in a pinch - a lot of the Amy's frozen meals and soups are gluten free and clearly marked as so. The gluten free macaroni and cheese is AWESOME.