My HRM keeps saying I'm dead...

Options
...and other times that I'm Superwoman.

It is the most annoying thing ever: a heartrate count of "00" or some other craziness like "209" or "289".

Quick details: It is a Polar FT4, and I've had this thing now for maybe just close to two months.

I remember reading in the instruction manual when I first got it that, when not in use, removing the little device thingy that you attach to the belt and communicates with your watch helps preserve its life. Additionally, limiting your use of the backlight feature on the watch also helps preserve ITS life. I use them pretty often, not only when working out but also during most of every day like when I'm at work (walks during lunch, walking to and form my car in the mornings and evenings, etc.) and typically keep it all connected while wearing but usually disconnect them when not wearing. Again, it's only been less than two months, so I can't imagine the battery in the little belt device thingy is already falling short. AND anyone who has bought or shopped around for the Polar FT4 knows that these things are NOT CHEAP! So, seriously hoping there is something I'm missing or can do to improve this situation, particularly for all that money spent and the relatively short amount of time I've had it so far.

Oh, and I do mostly sufficiently wet the belt sensors before working out and make sure that they're reasonably tightly against my skin, with the little belt device in the center of my body, and no obstructions blocking the sensors. And still, I get frustratingly frequent drops to 00 (as in the device not being able to read my HR) or completely random and inexplicable spikes to close to 300 (or I think a few times even more!). Drives me nuts and is actually really discouraging and breaks any momentum I might have going on at the moment particularly during my jogs but also any other kind of workout I'm currently in.

ANY help, advice, suggestions, experience, insight, etc. that can be offered would be GREATLY appreciated!

Replies

• sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't use a HRM so I'm not sure... but I wanted to bump this in hopes that you might get some good advice.

Maybe you just got a lemon? You could possibly contact customer service about getting a replacement...
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Mine just started going to zero in the last couple weeks. I'm thinking its the battery in the piece that attaches to the strap. Try that and see what happens. I havent replaced mine yet because it usually straightens up and works right. I'll be pissed the night I go to use it and it won't work and I won't know my calories burned! LOL
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is weird! I own a FT4, and have been using it almost daily for close to 2 months. I never had a problem.
    although it did once or twice measure a heartbeat of 200, but all in all i have an average of 120.

I would have said, wet the straps but you said you do that. How about the watch? Do you wear it? It has to stay pretty close to the receiver, otherwise it won't detect the heartbeat.
    If all fails, contact Polar, i am sure it has a warranty and they would send you a new one if it's only 2 months old
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It could be the battery - mine went crazy just before it died. are you also washing your strap as a build up from the salt in sweat can affect it. I used to jsut wash my with hand soap once in a while and that helped alot. you can also wash it in the machine.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    It could be the battery - mine went crazy just before it died. are you also washing your strap as a build up from the salt in sweat can affect it. I used to jsut wash my with hand soap once in a while and that helped alot. you can also wash it in the machine.
    '

Almost word for word what I was going to say.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    1. Try washing the chest strap. Oils and sweat from your body can interfere with it's function. I soak mine in soapy water and gently rub the sensor area, rinse it thoroughly and let it dry

2. Replace the battery in the transmitter. It takes a CR2025 or 2032

3. If that doesn't work you can get a new strap (without the transmitter) from heartratemonitorsusa.com for $16
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes Polar has that issue. Even my ft7 does. Call Polar. They will send a replacement.
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    ReinaJaLaNa Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    These are all EXCELLENT suggestions.

I do rinse my belt following almost every time I use it, but I think I've only washed it like...twice? (don't judge..lol) So, maybe (hopefully) that'll help.

If not, I hadn't noticed an area in the transmitter (thanks so much for whoever referred to it properly, by the way -- I couldn't remember its name for the life of me and knew "the device thingy on the belt" wasn't quite sufficient) where a battery or batteries could be replaced, but maybe I didn't look well enough. I'd still be annoyed if I have to replace that battery/those batteries after less than two months, but that could very well be the issue. Before doing that, though, I think I will first check to see if it can be replaced for free.

And I do wear the watch on my wrist.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    just take a regular watch. then, every now and then, count your pulse for 10 seconds & multiply by 6. result will probably = "alive"!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It definitely sounds like the battery. You're using the device nearly constantly. My battery lasted about a year, wearing it for about 5 to 8 hours a week.

You should not be using it unless you're actively working out. It is not useful during your normal daily routine (well, not useful for calories burned. It will give you valid heart rate information).
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    As above, the HRM is meant to be worn while working out. My batteries lasted about 1 year just wearing while exercising. If you want to track normal daily activity, try a fitbit.
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    Options
    I don't use it for most "normal" activity. I mostly wear it during "official" workouts but also fast-walking cardio (anywhere from 20-40mins.) during my lunchbreaks at work, which I feel like isn't quite in the same category as "normal" activity. Aside from that, like I said, I also SOMETIMES use it when walking to and from my car in the mornings and evenings, but that usually totals anywhere from five minutes to 20 or so minutes.

Those are the only times I am actually actively using it (as in, I've started the watch and it's counting). Now, I do tend to only wear it (without actually actively using it -- as in the watch/counter is OFF) in between those few active-use times. I'm not sure if that is making a difference. Even then, though, I could see maybe...a half year? A quarter of a year?

But less than two months?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification! But if the sensor is attached its draining the battery. I could see two months. It's possible the battery wasn't fresh when you got it.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I use KY Jelly instead of water and it's worked great. I wanted to avoid problems from the beginning. There are battery problems too, but I guess another one was it not reading your heart and conductive gel was best for that. The cheaper solution was KY Jelly (I also tried lubriderm and that DID NOT feel nice, KY is better for this purpose) and it's been working awesome. I wash it after each use, but I've never had a problem with it reading. I have the FT4 too.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Geez I'm having the same "check heart rate transmitter" problem with a heart rate of 00 displayed on the watch. I did replace the transmitter's battery today and it only cut out once instead of like five times per two hour session like it did before. KY jelly, guess I just might try anything!! I actually took a toothbrush to the buttons on the belt as well while washing. I just wish this problem would die once and for all.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My Polar was doing the exact thing. Thought I was having a coronary, but since i didn't die I figured it was glitchy. Ended up sending it back to Amazon for a replacement. Haven't had any problems with the new one after a year of daily use.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Had this problem with my new polar FT 40, I called polar and they had a new transmitter at my door 2 days later, free f charge of course, and with no hassle. Their cust service is great
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    Options
    Had this problem with my new polar FT 40, I called polar and they had a new transmitter at my door 2 days later, free f charge of course, and with no hassle. Their cust service is great

That is AWESOME. Very good to know.

And fyi, all, I did wash it (by hand) yesterday with laundry detergent, and this morning, it dropped to 00 one time only while I was warming up -- after that, it was GOLDEN for the entire workout. No delays or ridiculous spikes or drops the whole time. So, maybe washing it regularly will do the trick.

If not, I'll explore the KY jelly idea, lol..even though it seems like that would only make it worse (having something besides water between the sensors and your skin...but if you're swearing by it, I'm open to it! And then as a last resort, reaching out to Polar to have it replaced.

Thanks again SO MUCH, everyone. This has been a huge help.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options

That is AWESOME. Very good to know.

And fyi, all, I did wash it (by hand) yesterday with laundry detergent, and this morning, it dropped to 00 one time only while I was warming up -- after that, it was GOLDEN for the entire workout. No delays or ridiculous spikes or drops the whole time. So, maybe washing it regularly will do the trick.

If not, I'll explore the KY jelly idea, lol..even though it seems like that would only make it worse (having something besides water between the sensors and your skin...but if you're swearing by it, I'm open to it! And then as a last resort, reaching out to Polar to have it replaced.

Thanks again SO MUCH, everyone. This has been a huge help.
    ky jelly sounds ridiculous, they make cheap electrolyte gel that mimics sweat and conducts much better, for around 5$ a tube if you look it up, I have some but don't use it much, got it from amazon. It works well