What does being full feel like?

Options
When you have your meals of let's say about 500 calories. Do you feel overstuffed? Like you should probably rest for a bit before doing more activity? I know it depends on the types of food one ate as well.

I can't seem to pin point what is the full feeling. Or is full before you feel anything on your stomach walls? I don't seem to know...

I just ate:

Meal:
- 1/2 cup of ground beef
- 6 white mushrooms
- half raw onion
- 1/2 cup of spinach
- 2 egg whites
- 2 ham slices
- Slice of whole grain toast

Dessert:
- 3/4 cup fruit nut oatmeal
- 5 blackberries
- 3 strawberries

Is that too much food? I feel like it should be just enough but I am not quite sure.

Also, I am not counting at the moment and trying to gauge eating with portion size.

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh & track. I'm never full. My typical dinner is 16oz (cooked weight) chicken breast, 1/2 lb spinach, & 1/2 lb white potato. Typically quite hungry afterwards. I normally follow up dinner with 3 pieces of cornbread, 3-4cup of cereal, & a pint of ice cream. I stop because I've hit my calorie goal, not because I'm full.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you're really trying to go with portion size rather than calories, why are you asking if 500 will make you overstuffed? I'm a bit confused... 500 calories of fast food burger will go down much easier than 500 calories of kale.

For protein, go with a portion that's about the size of an iPhone/the palm of your hand for meat.
    For carbs/grains, go with what will fit in one cupped hand or 1-2 slices of bread.
    For fruits and veggies, go with what will fit in two cupped hands together.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I never feel overstuffed, but then again I don't feel as if I have missed out either.

My main meal (dinner) is usually around 600 calories.
  • lemonsquare6
    Options
    If you're really trying to go with portion size rather than calories, why are you asking if 500 will make you overstuffed? I'm a bit confused... 500 calories of fast food burger will go down much easier than 500 calories of kale.

For protein, go with a portion that's about the size of an iPhone/the palm of your hand for meat.
    For carbs/grains, go with what will fit in one cupped hand or 1-2 slices of bread.
    For fruits and veggies, go with what will fit in two cupped hands together.

I am asking what full feels like for you. I noted it depends on the type of food eaten as well which is why I wrote down the kind of food I ate - not very much like a burger. In hopes it would then be easier to provide an idea. A burger goes down easier due to the bun and full will depend on the size of the meat in the burger.

Basically, I haven't been eating properly for a while due to my binge eating problem that I am working on moving away from. I am not sure exactly what the feeling should be after a meal. I'm used to being very bloated so I have to find that middle ground.

What does overstuffed feel like for you guys? What's borderline too much? Does your stomach expand and you feel like you could have ate a baseball size less? Or what are the signs?

It is said to wait 20 minutes sometime before eating more... but what is after 20 minutes supposed to feel like?
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Feeling over-full to me is when my stomach almost hurts and I feel lethargic. Full, the regular kind, my stomach just isn't grumbling and I have plenty of energy... I could eat more but don't really feel like I need to. When I'm hungry my stomach actually growls and I almost feel a bit nauseous. I was ALWAYS over full before... kept eating b/c it tasted good, not because I was still hungry. For those of us that have, in the past, gorged on whatever we liked the "normal full" feeling is hard to get used to.
  • JCES10
    JCES10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I go over a 750 calorie meal I start to feel as if ate a lot of food (over eat feeling) and that last a few hours.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There are different types of full for me. If I eat a healthy meal it's just a not hungry anymore comfortable feeling. If I eat junk (ex burger and fries) I get a burping up my food for 4 hours afterwards can't stop groaning in discomfort kind of feeling.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i'm always full.. i had a smoothie this morning comprised of 1 c almond milk, 1 banana, 1/2 mango, 1 scoop protein powder. An hour later I had a hard boiled egg and I'm stuffed.

I'm planning cabbage soup and lettuce wrapped chicken for lunch, but idk.. the chicken might be too much.
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i'm always full.. i had a smoothie this morning comprised of 1 c almond milk, 1 banana, 1/2 mango, 1 scoop protein powder. An hour later I had a hard boiled egg and I'm stuffed.

I'm planning cabbage soup and lettuce wrapped chicken for lunch, but idk.. the chicken might be too much.

That smoothie sounds delicious, as does the lunch you're planning!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    ...I stop because I've hit my calorie goal, not because I'm full.

This