What Device Is Best For Showing Calories Burned ?

Options
Hi ~ I'm fairly new to MFP. Love it ! It's a Fantastic way to motivate you to keep track of your calorie intake. And of course all the Support from MFP friends. My question is, I have a pedometer w/ timer calories burned/ steps. I walked over an hr. today ( which I do Mon-Fri) plus go to Curves, along with all my other running around. My pedometer says I've burned 265 calories. Seems like that's not right for walking 5 miles so far today, and at a Very fast pace... Does anyone have a suggestion, as to a better way to keep track of my calories burned ? Thank-You for any advice you have to offer.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor
  • jameskirkbride
    Options
    You need a half decent heart rate monitor!!! The one I have asks several questions: AGE, SEX, HEIGHT, WEIGHT, RESTING HEART RATE ... and so on! this can then work out calories quite accurately (but you have to wear a chest strap) ...

although brisk walking is not really going to push your heart rate up so much to burn a lot of cals, and the pedomitor probably works on the assumption that your heart rate not much above resting, because it is designed for general walking about.

But to get any kind of accurate calculation of calories burned you need a device that takes all of the above questions into account & then knows you heart rate. & even this will only be an estimation.

For Info: I have a basic YORK heart rate Monitor from ARGOS

Hope this helps?
  • lilscuder
    lilscuder Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank-You So Much !
  • cozyann888
    Options
    Hey I use a polar one to and love it! This is the one I have at an awesom price .. Sears is where I got mine. I can't work out without it anymore!
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM137088142P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
  • glasielady
    glasielady Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor, a SportLine. A heart rate monitor is the best way to keep track of calories burned.
  • esiriano
    Options
    I use a Polar Heart Rate monitor (Model F6). It's very comfortable and very accurate.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Yup you gotta have a HRM. I have the polar FT4 and I love it!
  • lilscuder
    lilscuder Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank-You Everyone for your imput , I really appreciate it !
  • sunandstars2
    sunandstars2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yup you gotta have a HRM. I have the polar FT4 and I love it!

i am considering this model... any complaints about how it's worn? do you wear it with a chest strap or around your arm or wrist?