Quitting Smoking Cold Turkey

Options
CookNLift
CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
I tried using an electronic cigarette to help quit smoking and I don't feel like it's a good idea, as I feel I may get addicted to using that instead of a cigarette. I had to work at the restaurant this weekend in the 98 degree kitchen and wound up smoking a couple of cigarettes after two weeks of being good.

Tossing the rest of the pack I bought in the trash and going cold turkey. Wish me luck, and let me know any good pointers for keeping the cravings away.

cimg7547.jpg

Goodbye NAS

Replies

• clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I plan on quitting tomorrow cold turkey!

Good luck, and feel free to add me for motivation/quitting buddy!
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    195 days :smokin: free and :love: it! Used the book Quit Smoking the Easy Way by Allen Carr:heart: it! One of the best things you can do for your body!:drinker:
  • Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There is a great book that will help. 'The Easy Way to Quit Smoking' by Allan Carr. He doesn't talk about the normal health and financial reasons to quit smoking. He makes you think about quitting in a different way. It's worth reading it. Good luck!
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've done it, it wasn't easy. Keep reminding yourself why you're quitting in the first place, and try to stay away from triggers if you can. Also, do whatever you can to keep yourself busy when you're bored.

Good luck :-) :flowerforyou:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!
    both my husband and I did it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Good luck...

I did go the e-cig route and slowly dumped the nicotine in my e-juice...took about 6 months to get myself down to zero nicotine...once I was at zero, I didn't even really desire the e-cig anymore. It can be beneficial if you do it with the intent that you're going to continuously cut down on the nicotine. But some people just have better success going cold.

Good luck to you...it's so worth it to not smoke anymore. My life is 180* different than it was a mere 9 months ago.
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey over a year ago. It was my fifth or so attempt but I think I really got it this time. Sometimes you have to quit lots of times before you make it. Stick to it! Make yourself little reminder notes about why you're doing it, chew some gum, take a walk, drink some water, say kind things to yourself. All these little things help.

I found myself VERY moody for several weeks. I was short with people, mean, not fun to be around. I started apologizing to people at the beginning of the conversation, especially at work. When I told them I was quitting smoking they were pretty suppostive, even if I was a ***** to them :-)
  • ShelliePAwesome
    ShelliePAwesome Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey Oct 1 2012...i used Listerine breath spray to blast my taste buds. So far, so good.

Good luck...you can do it!
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey about 18 years ago. It sucked the big one for about 3 weeks and then tapered off to nothing. Congrats on the great choice to quit.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. I left an open half pack on the kitchen counter and didn't touch them again except to throw them out months later. And my hubby was still smoking ( in the house ) at that time.

I realized my enture life revolved around cigarettes. I planned my work day around when I would take the next break. I couldn't sit down and visit friends for an hour without heading outside for a cigarette. I couldn't wait until the end of ANYthing so I could go smoke. The last straw was when I left my 10 year old son decorating the Christmas tree on his own while I went in the other room to smoke. I stopped halfway through that cigarette and have never smoked since.

That was almost 14 years ago now...it CAN be done! :bigsmile:
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I quit 30 March 2013. I was probably smoking 2 packs a day or close to it! I joined MFP 21 Jan 2013. I have continued to lose weight (over 30 lbs) by sticking with MFP after quitting smoking. I went cold turkey., but I prepared for it and followed this website. http://www.neversmokeagain.com/index.html I had one hard day and that was the first day. I was traveling, and every convenience store was calling me to come in and buy cigarettes. I followed the website, I prepared and quit. I also had my daughter witness my last cigarette (of course she thought I was full of crap, but it definitely helped knowing that she knew I was quitting). I also avoided my biggest trigger (alcohol) for the first month. Good luck! Make up your mind, and just do it!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I used Allen Carr's book. The money I have saved I put into giving my kids an allowance. They have chores to do before they get it and...holy cow...they actually do their stuff. I'm amazed. The benefits of being a happy non-smoker are great.
  • Sheri869
    Sheri869 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have quit and started again many times....though my husband smoked so it made my success much harder to stick to!

I made a deal with him to quit if he wanted to go on a fishing trip we really couldn't afford....he did it! Made the journey MUCH easier for both of us to do it together!!!

We both quit actual cigarettes cold turkey - but we did use the e-cig for about 3 weeks. The taste and volume of nicotene is so much different but still gives the "motion" and feel of smoking if you need it. Because it is so different it didn't take us long to stop that as well. The one plus side was in times of extremely stressful situations it came in handy. To reach for that instead of buying a whole pack...an then, most likely smoking it! With it - the bonus was just hitting it a couple times and being DONE!

After 1 month no reg cig and 3 more months without the use of anything - I've endured some seriously stressful situations...and while the craving still comes in those times - I've managed to not touch it again! If I could make it through this last month of some hardcore stress....I know I'll never touch it again!!

For my husband it was much easier quitting using the e-cig than he'd thought. He is surrounded by friends that smoke (I am not) but with that tool...it doesn't even phase him anymore and I think he quit using the e-cig even before I did. We both quit the real thing cold turkey on the same day.

It was a great tool for us and worked for us! It made the transition MUCH easier and giving it up as well after the original hard quit transition was a cinch. Though I have an aquaintance who puffs on that e-cig CONSTANTLY...so I would assume it doesn't work for everyone...

Stay Away from the triggers as much as possible...but that is not always possible and surround yourself with support! Thats the best advice I can give. Once I had the support of my husband (and the little tool) after 20 years....it was really not so tough!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Great decision to quit! I quit 5 yrs ago after smoking for 30 yrs--yes I started really young. I watched my mother and grandmother both lose their lives to emphysema and copd. I didn't want to go like that and I want my two older kids that way to go that way, either. I had my mind set that I was quitting--and it is hard, but doable. I wore a nicotine patch for 13 days (the 14th is still in my top drawer) and I was done. Having grown up around smoke, I couldn't smell it, I finally did two weeks after I quit--yuck! I had to re-learn how to do things. I had never driven a car w/o smoking ( except driver's ed, lol) What do you do after you eat, fold the laundry, or after washing dishes--that was the hard part. I'm not a gum chewer, but I was in the car while I drove. After dinner, chores, or when I wanted to light up, I'd drink a hot cup of orange spice tea. When it got really bad, I prayed thru it, and I got thru it. Today I'm not gum or tea addicted (lol) .

I hope this shows you it can be done. Find what works for you and know there is help all around you! Best wishes and Good luck!
  • jbalsavage
    jbalsavage Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. If you fall off the wagon, get the Allen Carr book that others on this thread have recommended and try again. My husband quit cold turkey about six months ago using the book, and I know a bunch of other people who used it successfully too. If my husband could do it, you can. He smoked for over 25 years and tried everything (Chantix, the patch, the gum, some herbal pills he got off the internet, etc., etc.) but nothing worked for more than a day or two until he read the book.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    NM
  • SaltWaterTaffy78
    SaltWaterTaffy78 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Best of luck!

I quit cold turkey 10 years ago and never regretted it! Still going strong!

You can do it! :happy:
  • alexeye11
    alexeye11 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I quit about a year ago and never turned back! Now I can't even stand the smell of cigarettes! lol. I used electronic cig for a couple weeks, then just decided to go without any kind of cigarettes. Haven't smoked in a long time and don't miss it in the least. Good luck to you! :)
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I never picked up smoking.