Skinny fat HELP!

Options
I am a 5"6, 37 year old woman who's current weight shifts between 134 and 138. I run, eat clean mostly and do a few P90X dvds four times on average a week. I am finding it really hard to tone my body. Everything jiggles. Does anyone here have that problem? Looking good with clothes on is one thing, but my goal is to have that sexy definition in a bikini. I'm really looking for some fitness pal advice with this goal in mind.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Lifting..

Many here will tell you that at the onset of your fitness programs, a program with a mixture of cardio and strength/lifting is the way to go. Cardio can help by giving you higher caloric deficits while lifting helps preserve the muscle mass you already have so that "skinny fat" doesn't happen.
  • xbar16
    xbar16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, Lifting.

Read New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lift like a man to look like a Goddess.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Yup lift
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Ya gotta start lifting heavy (for you) weights.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    "eating clean" can mean so many things. If you want to lose the fat, you need to eat at a deficit. And definitely lift to retain muscle.
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'd say that all of the above are correct but I'd add that you might want to consider changing the ratios of your macros. Maybe less carbs/fat and more protein?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Lifting. :drinker:
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Im with everyone else who says lifting.

If you're a beginner New Rules of Lifting for Women is great or Starting Strength. Afterward you could progress to soemthing like Strong Lifts.

You could also definitely check out some of the free 8-16 week programs featured on Bodybuilding.com. I myself am doing LiveFit.
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Heavy *kitten* weights, lady. Trust me.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am nearly the same. 5'4 and just lost a few pounds so I am about 135 now. Can't lift heavy as I don't have a gym membership or weights at home. Would love to be more toned!
  • umieto
    umieto Posts: 46
    Options
    Liiiiiift. I weigh 14lbs MORE than I did before I started, and wear four sizes smaller clothes. And my *kitten* is divine. Literally the best decision I ever made.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If you are doing P90X videos, in addition to running, I hope they are the weight workouts. Also, make sure you are lifting HEAVY. Aim for the 8-10 rep range, using a weight that is challenging enough for you, so that you can do at least 8 reps with that weight, but no more than 10. My guess is that you are doing 10-12 reps with weight that are much too light. If you don't have heavy weights, invest in a set of Powerblocks - they are a godsend. :happy:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I am nearly the same. 5'4 and just lost a few pounds so I am about 135 now. Can't lift heavy as I don't have a gym membership or weights at home. Would love to be more toned!

I've seen some of the weight lifters recommend to those who don't have weights to do "convict conditioning". It's some sort of body weight strength training program. I'm sure you can Google it.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

I've seen some of the weight lifters recommend to those who don't have weights to do "convict conditioning". It's some sort of body weight strength training program. I'm sure you can Google it.

You can also get resistance bands at Wal-Mart for fairly cheap, I believe. If you go heavy enough with those, that can be a start.
  • Results4achange
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I have been using resistance bands but I do think its time to incorporate weights...I'm just so intimidated by them...lol, My husband has those power blocks and I guess I'll give those a try. I did order that T25..so I'm really hoping that will help as well.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    There's another called "You Are Your Own Gym".