What The Hell?!

Options
Lol, OK, so I am scrolling through MFP, and I notice advertisements popping up from "Just Eat" and "Hungry House" saying "Don't bother cooking, order something from Just Eat" followed by pictures cheese burgers, pizzas and fries!

Not entirely sure why I wrote this in Motivation and Support. It's not affecting me, or making me want to mess my healthy eating up, I just think them kind of advertisements seem a bit out of place on a site like this!

Replies

• ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Thing is, these adverts are based on you, they are not random, though I'm kinda worried as to why I get 'Fashionchick' ads.................... someone has been peeking into my leisure pursuits :laugh:
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I logged a slice of pizza from Domino's into my day, and an ad for Domino's was just up.. now it's an ad for a GMC truck, and I was searching truck classifieds earlier.

It's usually based on your search history, and what it assumes you would like.
  • betsyr13
    betsyr13 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I keep getting Target ads that indicate they think I'm pregnant.

I'm not. Just FYI.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    ditto
  • kittiesandfarts
    kittiesandfarts Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm getting ads for a steak house! Love me my steak.
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I booked a hotel online for vacation next week, and now its showing the same place I am going to and the same week I am going! It's crazy, almost like I am being stalked! Lol!
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've got something for Sonic Ear Cleansing. I use a Q-Tip every morning!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Adblocker plus for the win
  • newstar44
    newstar44 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of credit report ads...I'm guessing I'm in need of some change in my life!!!
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Haha. Right now, I have an ad for a 2013 Cadillac (I'm a graduate student with student debt...not exactly their target audience), and also for Victoria's Secret, whose lingerie doesn't actually fit my body... haven't purchased anything from them in almost a decade. Usually, I get Craftsy ads or Lululemon ads, which creep me out a little. NOT a fan of ads that seem like they stalk you!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    There's a browser add on called Ghostery that you can install. Kills all the ads and plugins that track what you buy and where you go. Someone else on this site told me about it. I love it. :smile:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It's based on cookies. When you visit a website, it places a "cookie" on your computer, which remembers you. The companies you visited the websites of have something called "Remarketing" set up with Google AdWords. This feature uses cookies to show you ads for websites you have visited as long as they have the feature set up.
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Google Chrome with AdBlocker can fix this for you.
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's based on cookies. When you visit a website, it places a "cookie" on your computer, which remembers you. The companies you visited the websites of have something called "Remarketing" set up with Google AdWords. This feature uses cookies to show you ads for websites you have visited as long as they have the feature set up.
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Weird. Getting Samsung smartphone ads- never visited the website, and certainly haven't eaten any, as far as I recall. Apparently, I would also like cosmetic dental treatment in Thailand. And a 16-25yr old railcard- in my dreams.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I receive ads that I have websearched for. So I assumed that any ads that people see is because of things they have searched for.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Ahh, that makes sense then. Cookies. I forget I'm unable to search the net without being spied on!

I've not used Just Eat for months! They must be concerned about me! Lol.

Ghostery - I'll check that out. Could do without ads popping up!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Weird. Getting Samsung smartphone ads- never visited the website, and certainly haven't eaten any, as far as I recall. Apparently, I would also like cosmetic dental treatment in Thailand. And a 16-25yr old railcard- in my dreams.

You've never eaten a Samsung mobile before? You don't know what you're missing!
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    I logged a slice of pizza from Domino's into my day, and an ad for Domino's was just up.. now it's an ad for a GMC truck, and I was searching truck classifieds earlier.

It's usually based on your search history, and what it assumes you would like.
    I think it's called 'remarketing'. Based on your previous searches and where you have visited- google then is paid to have those companies advertise where ever you go. Clear your cache.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    In the past three months I have had McD about, uh once. But the ads are showing up still. I think sometimes it pays NOT to journal with the name brand food.