Anyone swimming for exercise right now?

Options
I'm 85 pounds into my goal of 156 to lose and started swimming a couple of months ago to help firm up and lose inches. I love it! Up to 72 laps 4 times a week. I'd love to hear what other swimmers are doing and how you've built your fitness routines. Thanks for sharing!

Replies

• Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I swim some laps, but mostly water aerobics...............it's fantastic and has given me those nice little arm muscles:):bigsmile:
  • mistysue3320
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!!! I do water aerobics at the local fitness club, 3 - 5 times a week in the evening. Doing it with a PAL helps. With 2 or 3 different instructors each night it keeps the class from getting to boring. 2-3 nights a week with the same instructor and then T & TH are with a different instructor. Great way to keep all area of the body toned as well as no sore muscles the next day. Keep up the good work!!!!! :smile:
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics with the Speedo hyro-resistence equipment. Be careful as to what MFP says for calories burned as I work out really hard to music and burn about 1/2 of what they say (per my HRM). I recommend a heart-rate monitor - I have the Polar F6 and it is waterproof. Love it though - and it seems to be working! Congrats on your great weight loss!
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    I'm currently training for a 10K, so on my cross training days I have been swimming. I'm not the great swimmer I used to be, that's for sure! Haha, I'm doing about 30 laps twice a week. And I vary the workout, breast-stroke, back-stroke, free-style, etc.
  • arwent351
    arwent351 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! If you are looking to make your swim workouts more interesting checkout www.myswimplan.com. It's free. You plug in your personal info (including some time trials) and it creates workout specifically designed for you. You can dictate which strokes and which equipment you use for swim workouts. It's a great way to amp up your swimming endurance and get more out of your swims.
  • addicted2sugar
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing the myswimplan.com! What an awesome site. I have 3 herniated discs and so I can't do regular forms of aerobic activity. I try and swim what I can for 30-45 minutes 5 days a week. I just started it and now I am looking forward to implementing the myswimplan to help strengthen my body.:happy:
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I love love swimming! Me and my mom go to the gym everyday and work out hard, and then on Saturday morning we swim in the gym pool as a reward for the hard work all week. But we're changing it up this week and going swimming tomorrow morning instead. :happy:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I have been swimming, I do laps, and water aerobic exercises , I also jog around the pool until it created a strong whirlpool and then I go the other way. It creates alot of resistance and is hard to go the other way.
  • tiffyanna2010
    Options
    wow that my swim plan sounds great! im deffo ganna check it out! but was wondering if swimming does help you lose weight? i feel vry self contous at the moment about my body and want to tone up fast, im usual quite thin but recently have put on a few pounds. (very depressing when nothing u own fits) so to sum, my question is....is swimming effective?!

thank x
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I am going to check out myswimplan as well............sounds mighty interesting. I do my water aerobics three times per week, so that would be good to do inbetween;) Thanks for the info and happy swimming!:bigsmile:
  • AndriaLL
    Options
    Thanks for the www.swimplan.com info! Swimming isn't very effective for me for weight loss, but I have met many people who do loose a lot of weight once they start swimming. (It seems to just make me really hungry.) I still do it, though, as I do triathlons and would rather not drown before I can ride my bike :happy: It seems that different people have different activities that help them lose weight, so you should definitely try it and see...

PS I agree with the heart monitor suggestion. My calorie burn from swimming never matches MFP.
  • AndriaLL
    Options
    Is this actually www.swimplan.com? I couldn't find www.myswimplan.com. Thanks.
  • jenlawton
    Options
    I work for a large swimwear company. Swimming is one of the best exercises you can do, it works all your muscles. There is a watch we sell that is specifically designed to be worn in the water. It counts your laps, distance, time, calories burned and more. If anyone is interested in learning more you can go to Speedousa.com and check them out. You could also send me a message and I can send you the details directly.

Good luck!:smile:
  • iowabelle
    Options
    I have a question.

I used to be able to swim (crawl and backstroke, not so good at side stroke), but I've never learned any other strokes. I would like to learn some other strokes and build up my stamina. But the Y (my main option for a fitness facility) doesn't offer instruction besides "beginner." What would you suggest?

I had to pass a swimming test in college as one of the graduation requirements but really haven't swim very much since (26 years).
  • jenlawton
    Options
    We do sell CD's that teach you different techniques. Also, see if you can find a swim coach in the area, I would guess you might be able to ask at the Y if there is anyone who does private lessons. We have a swim coach that works for us, and he does teach the swim team at the Y as well, so if you have any local swim teams, you may be able to get a few private lessons from the coach. Swimming is a great, no impact sport.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Is this actually www.swimplan.com? I couldn't find www.myswimplan.com. Thanks.
    http://www.swimplan.com/ :flowerforyou:
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Swimming is the only exercise I am allowed to do due to my hypermobility. I started again 3 months after major back surgery as hadn't been able to swim for years due to bad back. My first session consisted of 2 lengths of a 25 metre pool & I thought I would have a heart attack! Now I swim at least 6 hours per week & I love it. I can only swim breaststroke, back & front as have lost rotational shoulder movements & ankle problems prevent the kick movement required for freestyle so unfortunately swim com is no use to me. I alternate lengths on my front then on my back then I sometimes make up my own program of exercises in deep water as am not allowed to do any contact exercise . It is about 18 months since I started swimming , my weight loss here is very slow but over the last 2 months the inches have started to fall off & yesterday I was wearing my UK size 12 summer jeans for the first time in ages!! Not bad for someone still 3 stone overweight!!!! In total I have lost 2" off bust, 2" off hips & 6" off my waist so am pleased with those results but just wish those scales would move down!!!
  • arwent351
    arwent351 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry. It is actually www.swimplan.com. I've found swimming to be very helpful with losing weight. It's one of the most effective cardio exercises you can do.