New Runner

Options
Hello everyone!

I have been on this site before. This is the first time in awhile if felt this good. I've been running everyday but not realizing that 1.5 k isn't much of a run at all. I'm 140 pounds, 5"5 an dim looking to tone up and maybe drop some weight. ,u weddings in two months and I wanna feel my best.

Any advice?

Thanks
Sara

Replies

• runningwhilemommy
    runningwhilemommy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I used the couch to 5k plan. it gradually builds you up to running 30 minutes. I also ride my bike, do spin class, yoga and weights.
  • Chevy_Girl88
    Chevy_Girl88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started two months ago and I never really ran further than 1.6k except for Saturday I ran a marathon tat was 5 k and it was easy
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k (C25K) is a great program to build up your running endurance. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you don't feel ready to advance, but don't be afraid to try either. I just finished the program a week ago and it was one of my proudest moments!
  • runningwhilemommy
    Options
    Couch to 5k (C25K) is a great program to build up your running endurance. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you don't feel ready to advance, but don't be afraid to try either. I just finished the program a week ago and it was one of my proudest moments!

Congrats!
  • runningwhilemommy
    Options
    I started two months ago and I never really ran further than 1.6k except for Saturday I ran a marathon tat was 5 k and it was easy

If you thought the 5k was easy than I would start training for a 10k and then go from there.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Any advice?

If you're just looking to run as part of an overall fitness plan, 15-30 minutes of running 2-3 times per week is fine. throw in some weights for strength and some HIIT and you've got a good plan for overall fitness.

If you're looking to run seriously and race, that's an entirely different approach.
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I can confirm that as well - couch to 5k is great for getting started. :) Happy running!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't run every day. You need time to recover. Gradually increase your distance by alternating walking and running. Food luck :smile:
  • Chevy_Girl88
    Options
    Ran 5 k today:) woohoo!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not using "marathon" to describe your 5K.
  • Chevy_Girl88
    Options
    Why is that?
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon

A marathon is 42k.....5k is just a race :)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Because a marathon is 42.195 km. unless you dropped dead after the 5k, it really is no comparison.
  • Chevy_Girl88
    Options
    Lol got it! I'm sure most of you understood what i meant but thanks for letting me know! :)
  • Chevy_Girl88
    Options
    Since this forum title does say "new runner"....
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to tone up, running may not be the best approach. Consider heavy lifting.
  • Chevy_Girl88
    Options
    Yeah just got some weights so starting weights now too:) thanks!
  • mbrtron
    mbrtron Posts: 45
    Options
    I understood that you didn't run a marathon after you clarified that you ran a 5k but until I read that, I was really confused at how someone could run a marathon with no training...
  • Chevy_Girl88
    Options
    Any other tips for a new runner?:) thanks!!!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to tone up, running may not be the best approach. Consider heavy lifting.

Yeah, you are not going to tone up running. You can get rid of some extra fat if you need to get rid of some but that is it.

If you want to continue your running plans, there is the C25K which is great and a continuation program for 10k. Hal Higdon also has several plans for more advanced distances (half marathon, full marathon, triathlons, etc.).