What The Hell?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Weird. Getting Samsung smartphone ads- never visited the website, and certainly haven't eaten any, as far as I recall. Apparently, I would also like cosmetic dental treatment in Thailand. And a 16-25yr old railcard- in my dreams.
    If haven't visited any places that use remarketing, you'll just get ads that are either 1.) Relevant to the page you're on (like a milk ad for a thread that talks about almond milk)

or

2.) a direct placement ad (e.g. for the Samsung ad, the people who run the advertising decided they wanted to advertise directly on MFP, and they bid for that position).

Everybody competes for that spot on your page, and while there are a ton of factors for who actually wins, these are the ways (in addition to remarketing) in which an advertisement on MFP can appear on your page.
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    In the past three months I have had McD about, uh once. But the ads are showing up still. I think sometimes it pays NOT to journal with the name brand food.
    I think McD's bids pretty insanely on Google AdWords, so they may be winning that spot (all ads on MFP are auction-based) purely based on bid volume and the fact that you probably didn't have anything more relevant in your internet cookie cache.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    In the past three months I have had McD about, uh once. But the ads are showing up still. I think sometimes it pays NOT to journal with the name brand food.

Yeah, now you mention it, I have ads aimed at me that happen to be from places I bought food.

I'm a bit of a technophobe, I never thought to think "cookies" could be responsible for the ads.

I only learnt what "cookies" were about a year ago. I've been using the internet for about 10 years.
  • suzbaru
    suzbaru Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    AdBlock stops all ads. Yes, it also takes away the marketing revenue of whatever company is running that website. Just some food for thought, if you are also sick of ads on Facebook.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I never knew this site had ads until I saw threads like this. There are ad blocker add-ons available that'll make sure you never see another ad, or at least very few. Adblock Plus on Firefox does a great job.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    All my ads are for Balenciaga, and Saks, and La Perla...
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    If someone writes on my profile the mention of some
    brand food ... bam! It hits me in ads, every time.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options

Yeah, now you mention it, I have ads aimed at me that happen to be from places I bought food.

I'm a bit of a technophobe, I never thought to think "cookies" could be responsible for the ads.

I only learnt what "cookies" were about a year ago. I've been using the internet for about 10 years.

Well at least you know now :)
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I like cookies. Why don't I have ads for cookies?
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    You must prove to the Google your love for cookies, young grasshopper. Visit cookie websites. Search for cookie-related terms. Live the cookie.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have Chrome and added Adblock.... I don't see ads anymore for almost all sites :)
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You must prove to the Google your love for cookies, young grasshopper. Visit cookie websites. Search for cookie-related terms. Live the cookie.

hey, i searched cookies but i'm getting ads for trucks. what gives, google?
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options

I used to get ads for gluten free cookie dough, but now it's just dog and cat food. I don't have a pet. : ) Stoooopid google.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I commonly get ads for "The Vermont Country Store". lol Beats food ads.
  • rebuena
    rebuena Posts: 9
    Options
    I use AdBlock on chrome and don't see any ads :) been using that app for a few months and they blocked for me over 130 000 ads so far :) Best thing no ads on youtube :)