Snacking

Options
I work night shift (7pm-7am). Usually try to eat my dinner around 9:00, but then have the urge to snack throughout the night. Sometimes, just because I'm bored. Help!! What are some suggestions to keep from snacking. Also, I work with girls who want to eat all night, which makes it even more tough. :frown:

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Open your diary - it's hard to make suggestions without knowing what you're eating.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I also work nights, and I usually just leave allowance in my daily calories to give me leave to snack. I usually have some fruit, a protein bar and some tea over the course of night. On days when I get hungrier, I eat more and either do a slightly longer workout to compensate or eat less in the morning after work. There's nothing wrong with snacking so long as you can make it fit your macros.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    canned tuna, boiled eggs, cheese sticks, banana, broccoli, popcorn, chips and salsa, oranges
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I snack on veggies with hummus, fruit, nuts, and if I want something sweet and kind of junk-foodie I grab some Moravian cookies. Sometimes just drinking something, like hot tea, ends my wanting to snack.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    *shrug....I eat a small meal, then lots of low-cal snacks. I gave up the fight to resist snacking and learned to work with it...that way I'm not miserable all the time.
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about eating more on one day than another. I just ate a candy bar, which is something I would not normally choose if I were not working on my healthy lifestyle. I ate it, it is done, but I still have other options just for today to make healthier snack choices, or to get through a hungry moment until it is the best time for me to eat. Also, if I am over my scheduled calorie intake, I still have the option to exercise. I have been beating myself up for eating the candy bar. I have thoughts in my head saying I am going to fail. I am not going to fail. I only have to get through this day. I don't have to worry about tomorrow or yesterday. I only focus on what is best for me today. Tomorrow is going to take care of itself. I won't fail today even if it does not turn out perfectly. I won't fail because it matters to me. As long as it matters, I am successful and I am stable.
  • danie1030
    danie1030 Posts: 8
    Options
    one thing to do would be is to train your brain to say "no". you know your goal and what you want.
    if you haven't eaten a lot that day, then snack. but it depends on what you snack on. always always veggies!!
    you got this girl. and hey if you eat a piece of chocolate one day, the end of the word wont happen. you got this.
  • CrunchyFry
    Options
    It helps if you freeze foods, especially on an outdoor freezer. You eat it slower, and get full faster, or if you defrost it, you may talk yourself out of eating it. And outdoor freezers work well because if it is might, you're not going to want to walk out and get something.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I dont work a night shift, but I am a habitual snacker. Especially after lunch - the afternoons are the worst for me. I started making fruit smoothies and that has really helped with the snacking. I plan it in to my calories for the day - a glass of water blended with vanilla protein powder, and then I add fruit - lately a cup of strawberries and a cup of mango slices. It will last 3-4 hours for me. And it keeps me full so when I get home from work I am not starving and searching for the first thing I see to eat. :)
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I work nights and as you said, I am also surrounded by people who love to eat! Every night there is food out and whoever brings it encourages everyone to have some. What works for me is to bring healthy snacks within my calorie range, so that I can eat every two hours if I choose to.

I also try to bring something salty, something sweet and greek yogurt that I put in the freezer. I am then covered no matter what temptations cross my path!! ;- )