Eating at a county fair.. freaking out a little

This week is my county's fair and I'm going tonight. I walked 7 miles this morning and burned about 700 calories in preparation for tonight, and I've even pre-planned what I'm going to get tonight at the fair (a deep fried snickers and a corn dog) but for some reason I'm just freaking out. Historically, I eat whatever I want at the fair with no regards to calories but since beginning this journey in January, obviously I've become a lot more cognizant of my intake.

Even though I've earned extra calories today and have planned out what my indulgences will be, I'm still freaking out. I'm afraid I'll get there and make horrible choices. It's like I don't trust myself to eat anything I can't scan into the barcode reader. This can't be normal.

Any insights or thoughts from anyone?

Replies

• rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    If you generally eat healthy most of the time, then an occasion indulgence for a special occasion shouldn't be that bad. No need to eat a dozen different unhealthy items, but a couple tasty treats should be OK. Might be you want to eat a few pieces of fruit or something else healthy before going so you aren't that hungry when you get there.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Yes. It's the county fair. You're going to eat like crap and laugh at people. That's what it's there for. Relax, stuff your face full of unhealthy stuff, have fun and go exercise tomorrow.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 338 Member
    Fairs are tough. Walking extra and working the indulgences into your goals is the right thing to do. Way to go!! I''m sure corndog and deep fried Snickers are in the database, by the way. You can't scan them, but you can get an idea.

Don't freak!! It's the exceptions that happen every day that get us off track. Not the ones that only happen every once in a while. It would take you eating 3500 calories over what you burned for you to gain a pound of fat. And you're not going to do that, because you rock!!

If you feel tempted to get more food, but you don't REEEAAALLLY want it, get out of the food area. Go visit the cows or win a giant stuffed animal. Don't stress and HAVE FUN!!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    It is JUST ONE DAY. You've already planned for it, you've already walked today - you'll likely walk a lot at the fair. Enjoy your night.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Thanks for the responses, guys! I probably will grab a quick bite of some protein before I head out.

The snickers and corn dog are in the database, that's partially why I chose them. haha that, and my love of chocolate and fried foods is too much to resist when the fair comes 'round.

I just can't wait til I get to the point where I feel comfortable going out of my normal routine and knowing for sure I'm still making decent decisions. #thestruggle
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I don't worry about it, and I have the County AND State Fair to deal with hear.

I night here, night there of indulgence won't throw you that far off.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Fried butter is low carb! I'd avoid the fried kool-aid, though, just on principle, because it looks so nasty. Bleh!

One day won't hurt you. Just be careful that it does not trigger a binge. For example, I could handle that corn dog, but once I got into the sugary stuff I'd be like a crackhead on a mission. Know yourself, and know your limits.

As other folks have suggested, eat first. You could even pack some healthy snacks like trail mix or cheese sticks to munch through the day, to help curb the impulsive stuff. If you plan your treats ahead of time and account for them, you will feel better about yourself.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Ride to the fair and eat how you want. Parking will be easier, I promise :)
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    don't stress about it and just enjoy yourself. one day will not make that much difference, it any at all.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    It's fair food. That stuff usually leaves my body pretty quickly anyway, so I usually just count the Pepto.
  • eat good 90% of the time. i eat as clean as i can during the week, and if i do good, then i eat a "cheat meal" tonight is your cheat meal. so enjoy it. it's okay, take it day by day. you're doing great.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Wouldn't worry about the calories as much as feeling like crap. If you want to eat those items, go for it.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    It's one night. enjoy yourself.
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    You've budgeted for it, so just enjoy it! It sounds like you eat good a majority of the time so don't worry about it. I went to the fair last week, and had a corn dog, cheese curds, and a gyro...I knew it was going to happen so I made sure my eating was a little stricter the days before and after, and they tasted soooo good! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Any insights or thoughts from anyone?

It's one day of many in the grand scheme that is the rest of your life. If someone eats some broccoli and goes for a run on the first Monday of every month but does **** else the rest of the time, does that make them magically fit and healthy? Of course not...and the reverse applies. I went to the ball game this past weekend and had too much beer, nachos, and a hotdog. I guarantee you that it didn't undo anything or have any bearing on my health and fitness accomplishments over these last 9 months.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Try not to focus on the calorie count. You might surprise yourself and not even want those things. Sometimes I think I want those things til they are right in front of me and then the thought of how they'll make me feel (physically) afterwards is just not worth it.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Well i'm back and kinda proud of myself. I did have a fried snickers (SOOOO GOOD) but instead of the corndog I went with a brisket sandwich. way more protein. That's all I ate. I had 16 ounces of water and a couple of diet dews and I was fine. I also had a major headache from the rides so I wasn't really hungry when it came down to it.

I actually didn't eat back any of my exercise calories at all. I closed out my day with an embarrassingly low net, but I just wasn't hungry and didn't want to force myself to eat anything.

Fair day 1: success.. Thanks to all who offered words of support and smacked some common sense into my head. :)
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Woo hoo!! Congratulations!!! Great planning and execution!