HELP w/ Juicer/Blender Purchase

Options
Basically I want to know if I should bite the bullet and buy a Vitamix or is there something cheaper and effective out there I could buy to do the following:

make health drinks, that's all.

not aiming for gadgets w/ fancy add on features, just juicing or emulsifying green leafs, and fruits, and if i can help it, i don't even need to blend it with ice, not a big fan of ice in my drinks.

help, hope this makes sense, thanks.

oh and let me know if there's something someone swears buy, tired of searching.

Replies

• JTutz
    JTutz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know people swear by them and I'm sure they're the best, but I wasn't ready to start selling plasma & participating in paid drug trials in order to afford a Vitamix. I was hesitant to buy a Nutribullet 'coz it seemed a little gimmicky, but I thought I'd give it a try. I got it at a local brick&mortar with a good return policy so I could easily return it if it sucked. So far I've been pleasantly surprised. I've used it at least once every day for several months & it works great. Does exactly what it says it will do. Maybe a Vitamix someday, but for now I'm perfectly happy with my Nutribullet.
  • PBlilacs
    PBlilacs Posts: 23
    Options
    Def interested in hearing everyone's opinion. I really really really want a Vitamix but have not purchased because of the cost. I just took my new Ninja Pulse out of the box today and tried to make Almond Butter and blew the motor up. Smoke coming out of it and everything! On the other hand, I called the company and they are sending me a new one ASAP. I think it will be great for smoothies but they told me they do not make a model suited for making any nut butters.
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the bullet, but I have a Vitamix and I love it and use it every day. You can purchase refurbished ones from the Vitamix website and they're just as good as the new ones IMO.
    I use my Vitamix every morning to make this:
    1 EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control French Vanilla Protein drink box (100 calories)
    1 cup flavored or plain cold coffee (2 cal)
    a bunch of ice
    2 packets of Truvia
    1 cap of Miralax - because - well, a high protein diet can be challenging for your elimination needs :)
    blend

I end up with a drink that tastes just like a mocha frappuccino from Starbucks's but at only 102 calories - and it makes a ton. The Vitamix handles the ice with ease.
    I sometimes add in frozen strawberries or bananas.
    My old blender could never have handled the frozen fruits and it was a Cuisinart. The ice ended up in big chunks that I couldn't suck through my straw.
    My Vitamix is, to me, one of the keys to staying on plan.
    My motto is - "Buy cheap, get cheap" - but you have to do what is feasible for your budget.
  • livinfluffy
    livinfluffy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I bought a refurbished vitamix also and it has paid for itself. With all my food allergies I can make my own soups and smoothies and banana ice cream and it is a lot cheaper than the specialty foods I was buying. If you are just blending up protein powder and soft fruits it might not be worth the cost for you, but if you think you may want to eventually add greens or frozen fruits I would go with a vitamix.
  • ChrisMundie
    ChrisMundie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MDHH06/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_10?qid=1374547348&sr=8-10

I make 4 juices a day in it (2 for me 2 for my wife) and it has been great. And it was only $100
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I have a Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juicer - $50 online and on Casa.com they give you a discount for your first purchase plus free shipping so its actually closer to $40 on that site.

It is the best investment I've made in a long time.

I also picked up a $10 blender from Home Depot for smoothies.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Love my NutriBullet!
  • benblue1
    benblue1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Seriously, vitamix is the best. I have one, use it every day and it IS DEFINITELY worth the price. The warranty on that thing is awesome too.
    Anyway, usually best prices are on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393193&linkCode=shr&tag=iblu3-20&h=i:aps,k:vitamix,p_72:2661618011&keywords=vitamix&qid=1374773757&rnid=2661617011
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have a NutriBullet and I use it nearly every day. It's great for smoothies, home made protein shakes, etc. It'll even pulverize nuts (for example, I added an ounce of almonds to my breakfast shake the other day for teh good fatz.)

For around $99 you can't beat it.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Vitamix. We make peanut butter in ours, that's how tough the thing is.

If ever I commit a horrible crime and need to dispose of the physical evidence, Vitamix will be my go-to blender of choice.

In the event that I get an IRS audit, I'll simply tell them that I have a Vitamix, and they'll understand why the receipts have all been shredded.

Sometimes I'm worried that the vortex of smoothie that my Vitamix creates will suck me in and destroy me; you may laugh but we used to have a dog :sad:
  • brettdupree
    brettdupree Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a Blendtec.

If you want to drink fruit smoothies, then it is totally worth it.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    We bought a Baby Bullet to puree our babies' food --- they are well out of that stage. I actually use that to make my protein shakes in the morning - takes up a lot less counter space than my traditional blender.
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's worth the money. It really is. Get a Vitamix or a Blendtec (just as powerful). Those two are the only ones that can really do the job right. Ninja, Nutribullet, etc... don't even come close (look for comparison videos on youtube and you'll see they don't match up).

Keep your eye on Craigslist or Ebay, you may be able to find a decent deal. I've seen a few now and then from restaurants that are going out of business for example.
  • rswalls
    rswalls Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bought a Sharper Image Juicer from the Goodwill - looked like it had never been used. Got home and googled it, found that it retails for $120...I paid $18. It works great and is really easy to take apart and clean.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I loooooove my vitamix, but if that's all you plan to do with it (basic juices/smoothies) I think a nutribullet would be good! A coworker has one, uses it everyday and loves it!
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just bought a blender last week.
    I wanted something to chop up fibrous and leafy veggies so I could "drink" my greens. So something that could handle that kind of task was important.

I wanted a "step up" beyond Walmart/Target kind of typical blade blender

Comparisons were between the "Nutribullet, Ninja, Blendtec, and Vitamix"

After considering price, durability, countertop space, and ease of cleaning,

the best blender fit for my needs was the Blendtec. I picked it up at costco.

So far, I am extremely pleased with it.

Hope that helps.
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I just use a blender.... and remember to add things in a certain order.

Juice first, and protein powder and/or spinach and blend blend blend.. Then I add my fresh/frozen fruits.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I needed something that did more than just juice so I got a Ninja, I think it was the Ninja Mega Kitchen system.
    I am pretty sure this is the one. it was on sale at Kohls and I had a 30% coupon plus a bunch of Khols cash burning a whole in my pocket. So far it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Mega-Kitchen-System-Model/dp/B00A3D5IZ6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374775078&sr=8-3&keywords=ninja
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Vitamix. We make peanut butter in ours, that's how tough the thing is.

If ever I commit a horrible crime and need to dispose of the physical evidence, Vitamix will be my go-to blender of choice.

In the event that I get an IRS audit, I'll simply tell them that I have a Vitamix, and they'll understand why the receipts have all been shredded.

Sometimes I'm worried that the vortex of smoothie that my Vitamix creates will suck me in and destroy me; you may laugh but we used to have a dog :sad:

I wish we could hang out. I like you.
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    I think it depends if you are wanting a really good blender OR a really good juicer. They are two completely different things. If you are going with blender then I would say Vitamix or Nutrabullet. If you are going for a juicer then I recommend the Omega VRT 330 HD or 350. They are slow masticating juicers that won't degrade enzymes. Hope that helped.