Losing Weight, but BF% Increases

Options
So, I weight myself weekly, and monthly I try to measure my body fat percentage at my gym. I try to give myself time in between so I can ignore daily fluctuations, but can observe that there is a loss over a period of time. However, in the past month I have lost just over 6 pounds going from 162 to 156, but my body fat percentage went from 32.7% to 33.2%. As my weight starts to approach a normal BMI, I was hoping my BF% would do the same. I know that the handheld devices can fluctuate a little, but I figured over a period of time it would even out and I would see a decrease. I strength train 2 times a week (body weight or low weight), but it will probably increase once I go back to campus with a better gym and buy NROLFW. Anyone know what could cause this. I know you can lose lean body mass, but this is about 67% loss of LBM. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Bad body fat measuring tool, most likely.
  • eautrey124
    eautrey124 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bad body fat measuring tool, most likely.

I really hope so, but I am trying to work really hard to not go from slightly overweight to skinny fat, but as a poor college student, I can't afford to get my bf% measured accurately.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Well, your logging seems very sporadic, but if what you're noting down is accurate, you're underfeeding and not meeting your protein macro.
  • Synbeth
    Synbeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Water intake has a lot to do with how these electronic body fat measurements are taken. Assuming you're more active now you're also likely drinking more water. The result? These tools are waaay less accurate. Just keep that in mind and rely on your eyes more than the tool.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bioimpadence machines can be off as much as 6% from what I seen. But as synbeth stated, hydration level plays a huge factor. I suggest looking in a mirror or pictures to see results. Even add in a tape measure.
  • eautrey124
    eautrey124 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't realize they could be so inaccurate. I had underestimated what my protein needed to be set at for a while and then once I got it right and started to try to eat that, I got sick a few days later and that has been the cause of the underfeeding. However, I expected to see it stay about the same, but not an increase. Hopefully it is just the machine and it will improve. I do try to measure myself as well, but I also don't want to be smaller with very little LBM.