Toes going numb on elliptical

Options
This may be stupid, but everytime I do my elliptical workout (45 min), my toes go numb within the first 10 min or so. I have to keep flexing my feet to make it go away. It does go away once I am off of the elliptical. I thought it was my shoes, or maybe that they were on too tight, but I have tried with 2 different pairs, and tried to loosen them. I do notice that I put the most pressure on the ball of my foot-should I be more on my heel? Thanks for any help!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar issue when I would run on the TM as well as the Elliptical. Solution: loosen your shoelaces! It might seem like the silliest little thing, but we happen to have a nerve in our feet right under where our laces usually get tied, and often too tightly.

EDIT: Just noticed (after I posted) that you already said you loosened them. Sorry 'bout that. Loosening mine fixed it for me.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well! I thought i was the only one. I don't have a solution to offer you. I've tried changing shoes and concentrating more weight on the outside part of my feet, but I still get numbness in my toes on the elliptical trainer.
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The only stupid question is the one left unasked! Sounds to me like you are putting too much pressure on a nerve somewhere. Try redistributing your weight so that it's more evened out on your whole foot. Hope this helps!
  • osram34
    Options
    im no expert yet i think i has to do something with your blood flow, that happens to me tooo some times so im hoping its not that bad...

Are you taking any pre workout drinks by the way??? seems like when i started taking preworkout stimulants which im not recomending in anyway specialy without your doctors permision it went away. :S wiered...
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Try loosing up the laces on your shoes. This will allow better blood flow.
  • DanniJNoles
    Options
    That happened to me when I went out dancing in high heels and it took over 4 months to get that feeling back to my toes. You might be pinching a nerve. I'd ask a doctor.
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    This is not stupid, in fact, this appartently happens to many people. Over the past few months I've seen a couple of posts about it. And, yes, it happens to me too. I tried every pair of shoes in my closet... including my fuzzy slippers.... and still, numb toes. I finally tried a pair of open-toed flat sandals and had better results. I love my elliptical, so I won't give it up.... numb toes or not!
  • Zita_Jenn
    Zita_Jenn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Other people mentioned about this as well. Here is the Topic.... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/98955-toes-go-numb?hl=toes+going+numb+on+elliptical#posts-1367879

I never had that problem. I go in my slippers that are like socks. Don't really know how to describe it . Hope the page helps. :smile:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I've heard this complaint often! I read an orticle in one of the fitness mags, and it said it was from improper form when using the machine. Must be looking straight ahead, with back straight and not leaning on the equipment. Shoulders back, abs tight, chest up, blah, blah. To me it's hard enough to the exercise for that long nevermind remembering how to keep each muscle in my body aligned! Shoes should also fit well and not too tight in width. Kath:flowerforyou:
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    A solution that worked for me, was to go backwards for 2 minutes for every 10 i went forward. Hope that helps.
  • Keisha79
    Options
    I have this issue too.. I read this in an article.. hopefully it helps everyone.

The major benefit of elliptical training is that you can exercise with minimal impact on your knees and joints. For your entire workout, you won't actually have to lift your feet off a surface and put them back down again. But that's where some people have problems with elliptical workouts. Keeping constant pressure on your feet for longer periods of time will cause them to go numb.

Because you don't have to move your feet or your toes while exercising on an elliptical machine, you can start to feel numbness as early as 10 minutes into your workout due to lack of actual foot movement. This can be a large nuisance for some, for others it's never a problem, and for most it can be dealt with easily.

Some people will experience numbness on an elliptical and others will not--even on the same exact machine. It all depends on the design of the elliptical and if it was meant for you. Sometimes the stride length doesn't fit you correctly, and others you could benefit from articulating foot pedals.

The numbness may not set in until after you've been working out for a long time, or it may set in early but usually you'll be able to identify the onset of the numbness before it feels completely numb. When you start to feel the warning, tingling signals or even way before you even notice that the numbness may be approaching, you can try to move your feet a little bit to prevent or alleviate the numbness.

Prevent elliptical foot numbness

* try wiggling your toes
    * reposition your feet on the foot plates
    * shift your weight onto the balls of your feet or your heels, or rock back and forth between both
    * try not to keep too much of your weight on the balls of your feet
    * loosen your shoe laces or getting better shoes with arch support
    * change directions by going backward on an elliptical
    * use an elliptical with pivoting (articulating) foot pedals

If you notice that numbness is a problem when you use an elliptical machine, try focusing on your feet a little bit more before the numbness even begins to start. Focusing on keeping your feet from falling asleep before it happens, may prevent the numbness from setting in at all. You may be able to prevent the tingling or numbness from even starting if you try to keep equal amounts of pressure on between the front and heel of your foot, while mixing up some minimal movements during your exercise.

If the numbness is something that sets in late in your workout and trying to avoid it or alleviate it doesn't work, try splitting your workout up into shorter time periods, or getting off to take an occasional lap from room to room.

I've noticed that over time, my experience with my feet tingling and feeling numb during elliptical exercise has been concentrated in one foot. But over time, I have been able to almost eliminate the feelings of numbness from my workouts and apply great focus to ensuring that my elliptical posture and foot position is correct. Over time, you too should be able to see a reduction in the problem and if it progressively gets worse you may have another medical problem, such as a foot neuroma.
  • sarahmckinley
    sarahmckinley Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mine used to do that...and it started happening sooner and sooner in my workout and would creep up more and more of my foot...I would have to reposition my feet, and then I would lose my footing and display my gracefulness for the entire gym. I finally gave it up when it started happening within the first ten minutes. Have you tried spinning? Or walking on an incline? They're both super good calorie burners that I use now because I just couldn't handle the tingly numbness anymore!
  • happykat007
    happykat007 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! Keisha-that is a wonderful article, and very helpful. I will not give up my elliptical workout-even if my toes keep going numb, I love it too much, lol. Something about watching tv during my workout, especially an interesting show, that keeps me going! I will try to focus more on my posture, as Hmo4 said. Again, thanks!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    my feet tingle on any cardio machine i do...treadmill, elliptical, cross trainer...not sure about the bike...i just "deal" with it...eventually it goes away but it always comes back....let me know if you come up with a solution that works long term...
  • Dammitviv
    Options
    I've had that problem with the eliptical also, for me simply focusing on my stride and raising my foot just barely on each step seemed to solve the problem. When I was getting tired I didn't pick my feet up off the peddles (treads or whatever they are actually called) and thats when they would go numb.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    SAME PROBLEM HERE, AND I FOUND THAT WEARING THE FLAT SHOES WORK REALLY WELL, AND IT IT SAID THAT FLAT SHOWS ARE BETTER FOR WORKING OUT IN, AND HONESTLY i HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM SINCE SWITCHING, WHEN i WEAR MY OTHER SHOES WITH AN ARCH i GO NUMB, AND TO THINK I ALMOST HAD A XRAY TO SEE IF IT WAS HEALTH RELATED.

HOPE THIS HELPS....
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time, only on my left foot. Every time I feel the tingles I shake my foot out and it seems to help a little. I hop off every 5-10 minutes and walk around the room and that helps too.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Oranda
    Oranda Posts: 121
    Options
    Used to happen to me until I bought expensive runners with cushioning meant for high impact. I also find that if my legs are feeling too tight or my knees start to bug me that using the eliptical backwards for a couple of minutes helps.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here so far. I've had the same problem from time to time. I'm not sure when but that problem went away for me. I think it was because of how much pressure I was putting on my feet during exercise. I do 45 minute sessions while watching an episode of a show like you. I think losing some weight may have made a difference for me, but I also tend to almost lift my foot during the stride. It's still impact free and allows some circulation I think.