How do you eat sweet potatoes?

Options
Sooo I'm looking for a way to turn a sweet potato into lunch. I don't want high cal (DUH) but I'd like to be full until dinner.

Any recipes/ideas would help! Especially if you were kind enough to put the calorie count :)

Replies

• Margaux102819
    Options
    I chop them up and put them in soups with other veggies. They taste awesome with veggie broth
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Here is a good recipe site with low calorie/low fat sweet potato ideas. http://www.yummly.com/recipes/low-fat-low-calorie-sweet-potatoes
    :smile:
    I usually cook them in microwave then sprinkle splenda brown sugar mix and cinnamon on top.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Bake them and then scoop out of the skin, mash them a little with butter.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Sliced with skin on (scrub first). Drizzle with a tad of EVOO, sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Roast until they are cooked through and carmelized a bit. Delicious!
  • Robide
    Robide Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love making sweet potato wedges. Bit of olive oil rubbed in, and then I tend to coat them in a little bit of Cajun or jerk seasoning. Yummy,
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I bake or steam them.
  • BabyLovesToRun
    BabyLovesToRun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like my fried in the skillet, just like you would regular fried taters. BUT don't drown them in oil. I usually use just enough butter so that they don't stick. Maybe 1/2 a TBSP. Little salt and pepper. Done!
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just bake mine with some butter! we love sweet potatoes!!
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like to steam them and then mash them -- no need to add anything except a bit of salt to taste (although my sister loves adding cinnamon to hers!) I've been meaning to try making a shepherd's pie with sweet potato mash topping...

Also love roasting them and adding to salad :smile:
  • driley9330
    driley9330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I cut them into french fries and bake them. Salt and peppered only. :)
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I like to bake them and put a little butter on it. Or sweet potato fries!
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I just microwave and scoop them out and eat them plain. They are creamy enough not to need butter, and skip the sugar...you don't need it. They are perfectly sweet all alone.
  • jhalton
    jhalton Posts: 85
    Options
    My wife slices them about 1/4 inch thick with thinly sliced sweet onions. She then drizzles a bit of olive oil and seasons with salt, pepper, garlic, etc and bakes them in the oven until they are brown on the edges. I like them a bit burned :-). DELICIOUS!!!
  • p1ppers
    p1ppers Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I thought I didn't like sweet potatoes until I really tried them a couple of years ago, now I love them. Like most, I like them microwaved with brown sugar on top, I like them cut into wedges and sprayed with olive oil and broiled until crunchy, I like them boiled and mashed like white potatoes, I like them sliced thick and roasted in an electric skillet with a little butter, too. But we just discovered if you slice them or chunk them up with a white potato and then put some onions, peppers (bell or jalepeno) and a slice of bacon sliced into pieces into a foil wrap and then throw that on the grill with whatever else you are cooking, they are awesome. Go on the internet and type in sweet potato recipes, and you'll get ton's of other ideas but all of these mentioned so far are GREEEEEAAATTTT! :smile:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Baked (or nuked), with a fork & my mouth.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat one (or half, depending on the size) for breakfast with my eggs. Usually cooked in the microwave. I put a little butter and cinnamon on it. Calorie count will depend on the size of the potato, unless your recipe calls for a specific amount in grams/oz.
  • pinktiger8
    pinktiger8 Posts: 130
    Options
    I slice them, add a little water so they soften better, and microwave them for about 2 min. No seasoning or condiments, they taste perfect the way they are.
  • salleymo
    salleymo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just wash it, pop it in the microwave and grate some fresh cinnamon over it. One day, I wanted a sweet treat and added a few marshmallows, all was under 200 calories (with medium sweet potato).
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Oven baked and then cut it open to put crunchy peanut butter! when peanut butter starts melting tastes so good