Pregnant and Trying to Meet Caloric Goal

Options
Hi everyone, I've posted before mentioning that I am pregnant. I am 30 weeks now. I started this log to make it easier for my midwife to break down my 3 day food log, and ended up realizing that I needed to make some diet changes.

First I noticed that I would be 50+ grams of over my sugar (50 grams already). This sugar came from fruit. a couple grams here and there came from veggies, a salad dressing, milk, and a slice of bread on rare occasion (because we make our own bread).

Anyway, I don't mind going over sugar by 10 grams in a day now if it is coming from fruit, but I am having an extremely hard time getting more than 1700 calories. Some days I get 2000. There is not much I can do. I am gaining weight like I should, but less than 2000 calories is not so good.
Should I be worried?

Replies

• staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    Sorry I can't offer you any advice because I have the same concern-- I'm 16 weeks right now. My doctor wants me to eat 2300, but I'm barely making 2000 most days. Still gaining weight, though. I also go over on carbs because I am eating a TON of fruit! Looking for suggestions as well.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    If the sugar is from fruit and vegetables and dairy, I wouldn't worry too much, although that sounds like a lot of fruit! :smile: What you want to look out for is added sugars. Or, if your gestational diabetes test comes back that you need to lower sugars, definitely watch that.

I agree that you don't want to be under 2000 calories most days. Maybe you can add some healthy fats in - great for the little one's developing nervous system! Avocado, nuts, 2% milk and yogurt, etc. Also make sure that your sugars aren't replacing needed proteins. Meat is always good. Nuts, beans, dairy, fish, etc. When I was pregnant this last time and struggling to eat enough, I was an on-the-go student, so I always made sure to pack food with that would help me stay on track. It's easier to eat several small meals when you're pregnant over one big one (there were a few times I splurged and bought sweet potato chips or something because I was so far under calories, but that's not a good idea on a daily basis).

In general, if you're gaining weight well and not at risk for gd, it sounds like you're okay. Keep talking to your OB through this. You're doing great!
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am worried for you. Be safe, ask you health care provider if you are fine eating at 1700 cals.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    The number of calories you need while you are pregnant depends on:

your height
    your body mass index (BMI)
    how active you are
    how effectively you burn off calories

However, you may need to adjust your calorie intake if you are expecting twins or more, or if before you were pregnant:

your BMI was 19 or under (underweight)
    your BMI was 25 or over (overweight)
    your BMI was 30 or over (obese)
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why I am even reading this thread... I have no input or advise whatsoever.
    I do hope you have a beautiful healthy child though!
    I think i'm gonna go back to looking for protein pancake recipes.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I have no idea why I am even reading this thread... I have no input or advise whatsoever.

lol
  • courtneybray773
    Options
    If the sugar is from fruit and vegetables and dairy, I wouldn't worry too much, although that sounds like a lot of fruit! :smile: What you want to look out for is added sugars. Or, if your gestational diabetes test comes back that you need to lower sugars, definitely watch that.

I agree that you don't want to be under 2000 calories most days. Maybe you can add some healthy fats in - great for the little one's developing nervous system! Avocado, nuts, 2% milk and yogurt, etc. Also make sure that your sugars aren't replacing needed proteins. Meat is always good. Nuts, beans, dairy, fish, etc. When I was pregnant this last time and struggling to eat enough, I was an on-the-go student, so I always made sure to pack food with that would help me stay on track. It's easier to eat several small meals when you're pregnant over one big one (there were a few times I splurged and bought sweet potato chips or something because I was so far under calories, but that's not a good idea on a daily basis).

In general, if you're gaining weight well and not at risk for gd, it sounds like you're okay. Keep talking to your OB through this. You're doing great!

Eating lots of nuts and seeds, and some avocado. Not at risk for gd though thank god. I just eat a lot of fruit all the time. :P but I have cut back on that for more than just sugar, but so I don't cost us so much in groceries lol.
  • courtneybray773
    Options

haha thank you for reading this thread and posting a useless comment though! It was funny :) protein pancakes, I can suggest the Elite Nutrition Protein Pancakes from Insanity though! :P Thank you :)