Does anyone else seem to hit a wall?

Options
Hey, there!

Every now and then on my weight loss journey I'll seem to get to a certain weight and seem to stay there forever. My clothes will seem bigger and I'll even feel smaller, but when I go to the scale I'm surprised to see I haven't lost even a pound. I'll lose about 5-10 pounds and then stop for no apparent reason. I can't figure out why or how this happens. It is so frustrating!!! Does anyone else do this or know how to work past it? I don't exceed my calorie limit and exercise 5-6 days a week.

Replies

• JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was losing steadily between .5-2 lbs. per week when I started here, then when I made my 50 lbs. lost goal, I plateau'ed for 6 weeks, with no more loss. I decided to work out harder and increase my daily calories. Sure enough, I started losing again.
  • ProudMotherof4ProudWife2007
    Options
    Have you done measurements ? You're probably losing inches though
  • mdoyle28
    mdoyle28 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am doing this and the closer I get to my goal weight the more this happens. It is very discouraging! Are you close to your goal or healthy weight or maybe already at a healthy weight...I know I am technically at a healthy weight and have been told that is why it is happening even though my goal is still 8 lbs away. Inches become more important to watch as well the more weight you lose.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Not linear.
    As long as your moving average is moving in the direction you wish to go, you are good to go.
    If you want to lose pounds and over time you are dong so, enjoy.
    NSV's are also pretty good, your reference to inches and clothing.
  • jenniferwoodweeg
    jenniferwoodweeg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me! I started at 148. Lost 9 pounds then, nada. Why? Because it takes less calories to keep me at 139 per day then, 148. So, either I can decrease my 1200(not gonna happen) or throw in some more exercise.
  • jennifert40
    jennifert40 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I'm about halfway to my goal. I've lost a little over 20 pounds and have about 15-20 more to go. I try not to weigh every single day- if I do I end up obsessing over it. I weigh every 3-4 days. I'm going to start light weight training as I usually just do cardio, so maybe that will help some, too. It's just frustrating sometimes. Thanks for listening!
  • redbev306
    redbev306 Posts: 62
    Options
    I definitely see this happen a lot. Sometimes it's water weight from PMS.... but I am guessing it's another culprit for you if it's more longer term. Muscle! With your workouts you're probably still burning fat, but gaining muscle definition....which is a good thing. Track your measurements too so when you hit those roadblocks you can see that you are in fact getting smaller, despite what the scale says. I usually measure myself when I first begin... & "save" measuring myself again for when I hit one of those plateaus where the scale isn't cooperating. It reminds me of my progress & that I don't want to "relapse". Best of luck on your journey!
  • Melisa2lose
    Options
    I was stuck on 180 for the longest time. Had to change up my meal plans and cut out the carbs. Then the weight started coming off more.