New to MFP -- overwhelmed

Options
Hello!

I was wondering how everyone manages to get so specific with their food intakes?

I was going to input the breakfast I ate for today which consisted of oatmeal with some cinnamon & a banana, but then I type in banana and there's all these options for banana and a lot of them are very specific with sizing:indifferent: and I'm just a little overwhelmed.

I'm wondering if you guys actually get that specific (and if so, how?) or just pick something that gets the job done?

Thank you!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! :flowerforyou:

I do get specific, because I've learned that just a little variance here and a little variance there can mean the difference between losing weight and not losing weight. So I measure, weigh and use labels to know exactly what I'm putting into my mouth. Even after years of doing this, I can easily munch away my deficit and end up with a zero sum day.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Well...actually..yes I do. I have a food scale and keep my measuring cups/spoons on my counter. When I enter my foods I look for "raw" (for fruits and vegetables) or at how many people confirmed it as accurate.
  • ashleyketner
    Options
    I have a scale where you input the food code. Then when you weigh it you know exactly the calories and nutritional values. It may seem extreme, but how else can you know how many calories are in food, especially fruits, veggies and meats, when they come in all sizes. It has worked for me, I'm down 50 since October... If you don't want to be that specific then just use this tool as a guide.
  • Quix82
    Quix82 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I want to be specific.. I use the ol' food scale I got years ago and add "USDA" to my unlabeled food searches.
  • Jesus_saves
    Options
    I usually use measure cups to measure my food, or I just get the closest I can to a measurement and log it in. I have found it difficult to find specific foods or quantities, so I just substitute the closest. This morning I had White's Irish oatmeal, and couldn't find it on here, so I used McCann's instead with the same measurements. Or, if you can't find it on here, and you have the box, you can add the food yourself to your foods. It gets easier the more you use the site :)
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    After you log for a while the things you eat the most are on your most used list, or what you recently had on your most recent list. So, its just a click of the button.

Don't want worry, it gets easier.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I do try weigh everything on a digital food scale. Liquid measuring cups and a set of measuring spoons. There are certain entries in the database that don't have the * next to it and I try to use those whenever I can as they are not user submitted and have several different options to entry, such as oz., grams, small, medium, etc. I also make use of the app on my smartphone and use the barcode scanner function quite often.
  • salt160
    salt160 Posts: 44
    Options
    Things like nuts, fruit and meat are fairly simple to follow if you use the search. Lots of choices, but i usually go for the "generic". This link can help if you don't trust it; < http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/ > Also measure weight/volume. Another very helpful tool is your smart phone. Get the Myfitnesspal app. It has a bar code reader on it and all the info is automatically put into your diary.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If I can't weigh/measure it, I use my best guess. If you grab a banana, and you're like...this thing is HUGE...that's an extra large banana. If you grab one and you think...aww...this little banana is so cute...that's extra small. ;)
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It gets easier as you build up your personal lists of frequent and recent foods. I'd suggest you look for specific brands and check nutrition data on packages to find a match in the database. For fresh vegetables, fruits and meats, look for raw ingredients, which offer the most choices in measurements. E.g. Bananas, raw. If you are on the website the entries without asterisks have the most options. As others have said. I use a food scale and measuring cups and spoons.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Welcome! After you are here for a while you'll have all the 'staples' in your recent and frequent food list. Yes "banana" and "apple" caused me stress at the beginning, but I just picked one entry and stuck to it. Or when they say one cup of something when you are used to weighing it, such as a baked potato. What helped me with some of those things was to enter it into the "My Foods" area, so it's always available. Yes I always weigh and measure every thing, because I don't trust myself with food. It works, it really does. Good luck!
  • mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I always type in what I ate and choose from the options based on how close it is to what I ate. Then, you choose a portion from the drop down menu, and you can choose how much of that portion you actually ate. I normally estimate a little as it is hard to measure everything, but as long as your guess isn't that far off it works out.

i.e. for a banana

I first type in "banana" in the "add food" section of my diary. Several options appear, and I browse through them. I see one of the options is "Fresh Fruit - Banana". Since that fits the description of my banana, I select it. Under "How Much?", it automatically has [1.0] servings of [1 whole] (banana). Say I only ate half of a banana. I would first click the drop down menu (which currently says [1 whole]) and see if "1/2 banana" is an option. It is not. So, I highlight "[1.0]" and replace it with [0.5], as that is half. Finally, you press the green add button.

You simply just have to choose from the best options, and input your portion. If you want, you can also add foods, meals and recipes (Listed as "My Foods", "My Meals" and "Recipes" under the "Food" tab on the top of the website. You can do this if none of your options are specific enough for you.

I hope I helped! Good luck!
  • 1coolrn2
    1coolrn2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh everything. I have found if I don't I can mess up real bad real fast. This works for me.
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Welcome,

AT first it was very overwhelming but it gets easier, I keep repeating many foods and meals saved as favorites.

Also you can scan the bar codes if ya have a smart phone, thought that was really convenient.
  • new_joe
    new_joe Posts: 5
    Options
    WOW! Thank you for such immediate replies, and I can see you guys are all very dedicated, but I guess that's what it takes to lose the weight... I'm so intimidated by the whole weighing thing, but something's gotta change.:ohwell:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,857 Member
    Options
    Put in "raw" when you enter fruit an veggies, and you'll find the basic data entered by the MFP staff. Also, you can tell because these entries have several choices of how to measure, especially (my favorite measurement - 100 grams).
  • Miss_Maree
    Miss_Maree Posts: 33
    Options
    Well it helps to be specific if you are like most the American population that doesn't recognize healthy portion sizes anymore. But like others have said, after you do it a few times, you get the hang of just eyeballing how much 3 oz of meat is, a cup of cereal, a "small" apple, etc, etc.

Also, there is nothing wrong with estimating. Nothing will ever be exact!! (but I find it fun to try and be close!)
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    it gets easier the more you do it. I struggled at first as well. I use a scale and measuring cups. I also have a scanner on my phone so if there is a bar code available I scan it. I sometimes still can't find things so if generic is in the name that is what I use to get as close as possible. good luck and we are all here for you
  • Miss_Maree
    Miss_Maree Posts: 33
    Options
    Oh, also the more time you spend measuring and thinking about and logging your food, the more likely you are to remember and fully realize what you have eaten already = you are less likely to just down something quickly and forget about it an hour later. It kind of lingers in your subconcious more.

Same goes for spending time cooking or preparing your food before you eat it. Somehow your mind appreciates it more and you just don't get hungry as quickly.

... that's in my case at least.
  • mrsleonard12
    mrsleonard12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    don't get overwhelmed!!! it is a little hard at first but it gets easier. i haven't quite got the specifics either but i start with the basics like raw, boiled, brands, etc.. feel free to add me!!!