Good protein shake for women!?!?

Options
Hi there! I'm going to start incorporating weight training into my work out routine. Any suggestions for a good protein shake for myself to use? I need more calories in my body and figured this would be a good way to add them into my diet.

Thanks in advance!
-Nicki

Replies

• iamallison
    iamallison Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use MyoFusion Probiotic Series - Milk Chocolate and Strawberries and Cream are my favorite.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Any protein powder that men use would also be suitable for a woman to use. The only recommendation I would have is to try a couple flavors and select what you like. A lot of people like Trutein or Optimum Nutrition, but there are several out there to choose from.

I wouldn't spend extra for anything marketed solely to women. Protein is protein and is metabolized just the same.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    whatever works for men will work for women. protein is protein and does not discriminate based on gender.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I am loving the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Line.
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I always fall back on old faithful, optimum nutrition's gold standard double chocolate.
  • traczekn
    traczekn Posts: 14
    Options
    Okay, thanks everyone!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Any protein powder that men use would also be suitable for a woman to use. The only recommendation I would have is to try a couple flavors and select what you like. A lot of people like Trutein or Optimum Nutrition, but there are several out there to choose from.

I wouldn't spend extra for anything marketed solely to women. Protein is protein and is metabolized just the same.

This.

I use Criosport. The vanilla flavor. It's delicious and pretty cheap at Costco.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Protein powder doesn't discriminate
    You should get a protein that has Whey protein Isolate as the first and main protein source. If it says "whey protein concentrate" first then it's trash. Most of what people wll recommend on here is trash concentrates loaded with fillers and low quality protein, as most judge their protein based in taste.
    Good brands who carry isolate whey are Optimum Nutrition, Dynamitize, and Isopure
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    two scoops of Optimum Nutrition gold standard whey (double rich chocolate) mixed with 8oz of lactose free milk gives me 56g of protein for only 350 calories. it tastes EXACTLY like chocolate milk made with Nestle's Qwik to me.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Orgain Organic Meal Replacement. Taste great. Good calorie and sugar amounts. Pretty much fruits and vegetables which I like. I buy it online in 12 packs. Love this ****.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural or Arbonne Essentials Protein shake. Both Choc and Vanilla are good in both brands.
  • KySny82
    KySny82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Jay Robb's...all natural & comes in a variety of flavors, including Pina Colada. It's also low fat, low carb, & low sugar. It seems to mix well with everything too, whereas some other brands I've tried, have gotten clumpy & rubbery.
  • traczekn
    traczekn Posts: 14
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I am loving the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Line.

yep!
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    look up reviews on bodybuilding.com, they know their protein shakes!

I finally decided to try whey gourmet. It was recommended as a good "beginner" protein shake. You have to be careful about the type of protein, calories, sugar, fillers, etc. Whey Gourmet seemed like it was decent quality and had rave reviews for taste. I bought a tub of peanut butter chocolate (tastes like a reese flavoured drink, soooo yummy) and a sample pack of their other flavours. Others I am considering trying are Allmax Isoflex and Dynamatize.
  • tamikawoodson
    tamikawoodson Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I like and use Syntrax Nectar Whey Protein Isolate, they carry all kinds of flavors and mix really well. I mix with water and sometimes unsweetened almond milk-depending on the flavor.
  • kariwilkerson
    kariwilkerson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MRM fruit n whey!! low in sugar and calories (only 89 cals a scoop! plus gives you natural antixoidants! and did i mention its yummy?
  • MelissaBoquet
    MelissaBoquet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was using Jilian Michaels whey protein powder in chocolate and it was super yummy. Unfortunately I believe they have discontinued that particular brand. There are a few other chocolate whey protein powders that are yummy though. Just check out the calories. The one from Jilian Michaels was 100 cals a scoop. The shake I used to make was super yummy. You add a scoop of the protein powder, 1/2 cup skim milk, ice, packet of splenda, and a tablespoon of sugar free instant chocolate pudding mix. I have a magic bullet and would blend it all together to make 1 serving. Play with the different flavors and make a vanilla one or add fruit as well.
  • kilverstone
    kilverstone Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've used both Jillian Michaels Whey Protein Powder in Vanilla and Chocolate and EAS, which I like.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    whatever works for men will work for women. protein is protein and does not discriminate based on gender.

^^

this