Not losing weight

Hello, I've been doing the 1200 calorie things for 6 or 7 weeks now and I haven't lost any weight. Not even a pound.. Im 5'2 and weight 120 pounds. I've recently in the last year put on 15 pounds and would really like to get back to my ideal weight of 100-105 pounds. I am a full time student and I also work full time, so most of the time I simply dont have time to excerise. Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Try opening your diary so people can see what you're eating. Go Home -> Settings -> Diary Settings and select public from Diary Sharing.

The usual suggestions for plateaus are make sure you're accurately measuring & logging everything, make sure you're eating enough (which I think you probably are if you're not doing much extra exercise) & try changing your exercise routine. If you don't have time to set aside specifically for exercise you can try just making small changes if you haven't already - walking a bit more, take the stairs, maybe do some exercises at home if you can. Just a few squats or sit ups a day might help.
  • Oneal77
    Oneal77 Posts: 12
    Question? Do you eat late at night? I understand that you are a full time student, and you also work, with no time to workout B if your eating late, this could be the problem. I really don't understand how you can be so active, and still be gaining weight, if not for the reason I explained. And if you're wondering why I advise not to eat late,.. its because during this time, you are most likely getting ready for bed, which means, less activities, and less calories burned. There is an article and a video on this subject at www.uncommonwebshop.com. Just click on the weight loss link. Good Luck!
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Are you logging every morsel you put in your mouth?
    Are you drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day?
    Open your diary to the public and maybe we can give you some pointers
  • danjerltd
    danjerltd Posts: 1
    Are you getting enough calories that your body hasn't gone into starvation mode? Are you getting enough protien?
  • heathermw101
    heathermw101 Posts: 4 Member
    Yes I am logging everything I eat, I drink over 8 glasses of water and I dont eat past 6 when I get home from work. I eat at 9 am 245pm and 6pm. I dont feel I have plateaued yet because I havent lost anything.. Im eating what I normally eat just a lot less.. There has been days obviously where i am more, but 95% of the days i eat 1200 calories...
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Question? Do you eat late at night? I understand that you are a full time student, and you also work, with no time to workout B if your eating late, this could be the problem. I really don't understand how you can be so active, and still be gaining weight, if not for the reason I explained. And if you're wondering why I advise not to eat late,.. its because during this time, you are most likely getting ready for bed, which means, less activities, and less calories burned. There is an article and a video on this subject at www.uncommonwebshop.com. Just click on the weight loss link. Good Luck!

That's a myth :) your metabolism doesn't slow down just because its night time :smile:

OP: 1200 is kind of low when your only looking to lose 15 or so pounds... find out what your base calorie burn is per day and give yourself about a 10% - 15% deficit at most and eat back any excercise cals, & make sure you measure and weigh everything religously. You may be eating to low, your body may fight you some because of this. Also the last 10-15 lbs I've heard are the hardest to lose because your body wants to stay the same when its already at a healthy weight :)
  • I have been on 1200 calories now for 2 weeks and have not lost anything either......I do log everything and walk at least 45 mins a day plus all the gardening and mowing envolved during the week plus cleaning house and work 8 hrs a day. Is there some secret? I do have a co-worker that has been very sucessful with this program and has lost 50 lbs since January. She has no suggestions for me but to keep at it.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member

no no no...eating IN THE MIDDLE of the night and turning over to go back to sleep won't even make a difference....
    OP, are you actually measuring everything you eat? Portion size is easily misjudged....
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    You're 120 lbs. Could be that you're at a healthy weight already. Being 100 or so lbs is not ideal. You're a woman now, with a developed body. Can't expect to look like you did at 15 or 16 anymore without your natural hips and curvatures!

What you should be focusing on is changing body composition if you are still unhappy with your body. I'm a full time student and I work. I also take care of my eclectic family of 4. I still find time to fit in exercise. If you can't dedicate 30 or more minutes, try 10 or 15 minutes at a time. YouTube, 10 Minute Trainer, Nike Training App...all good resources for quick exercise. Incorporate both cardio and strength/resistance/body weight exercise. You can lose weight without exercise with a caloric deficit, but these are just suggestions! :)

1200 calories may not be right for you. Try this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Not eating past a certain time is a bonafide MYTH. You can eat WHENEVER and still lose weight, gain muscle, etc. Ridiculous and debonked concept. 6 PM is way too early to stop eating...like, how are you not starving by 9 or 10? Err, if you get hungry after that. Basically saying if you're hungry, EAT.

Invest in a digital food scale. This way, you can most accurately measure the amount of food entering your body.

Keep trying. Hang in there. Good luck.

Eta: Get a measuring tape! Measure yourself frequently to check for inches loss. The scale isn't friendly at times. This'll prove your body is really changing!
  • heathermw101
    heathermw101 Posts: 4 Member
    120lbs may seem healthy to the outside world that doesnt know my body shape. im 24 and up until last year I have always weighted between 100 and 105, so I am confident I have weight to lose. I can see it in my body too. I am a very small framed girl..
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    It's not the body shape you should be worried about. It's body fat. When looking at various charts, 120 for your height is a normal, average range.

However, as I said, if you are still unhappy with your body fat percentage, there are steps you can take to reduce it.

Heavy lifting, eating according to your activity level, and weighing your food accurately are the tips you're mostly going to get. Losing weight when you're so close to your goal (the last 10-15 for a lot of folks anyway) is tough. Aim for .5-1 lb losses, but don't get so hung up on what the scale says. The scale lies. Especially when changing body composition.

If you make some changes and feel better, love the way you look in your clothes and regain your confidence, who cares about some arbitrary number on the scale? :smile:
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Gain some muscle.. if you arent lifting then your become a weak skinny fat version of yourself and your body need few calories to run. each pound of muscle eats 20-30 calories a day and fat only 5 calorie a day. Put 10 pound of muscle on and you will not only look better, you will feel better, be able to eat more calories each day and in turn loose weight without being so low on your daily caloric goal..

The majority of women fail to grasp the importance of muscle and muscale maintenance during their dieting and most women believe that you need to do cardio to loose weight.. not being sexist but just stating the truth. Learn the importance of lifting and you will be leaner/healthier than you ever have been.. trust