Scale Recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm not a scale expert, but I got mine 13 years ago at Bed Bath & Beyond and it has worked fine the whole time and still works great. The one I got is called, "Thinner" because it's a slim scale (or at least that was why I always thought they named it that, maybe they just named it that because people are trying to be thinner). Digital is good.

I just checked the prices, they look sort of expensive. $50. Maybe that's normal priced.

this one? 11868216546313p.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    OMG I thought I was kidding about a scale that sings to you?! 15687217790560p.jpg"This scale is a body analyzer and music player all in one!"
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm not a scale expert, but I got mine 13 years ago at Bed Bath & Beyond and it has worked fine the whole time and still works great. The one I got is called, "Thinner" because it's a slim scale (or at least that was why I always thought they named it that, maybe they just named it that because people are trying to be thinner). Digital is good.

I just checked the prices, they look sort of expensive. $50. Maybe that's normal priced.

Yeah, mine is an older model, and looks a little different. That one looks nice! Sometimes my neighbors borrow my scale to weigh their luggage when they are going on a plane. People knock at my door and say, "I heard you are the one that has a scale."
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Yeah, mine is an older model, and looks a little different. That one looks nice! Sometimes my neighbors borrow my scale to weigh their luggage when they are going on a plane. People knock at my door and say, "I heard you are the one that has a scale."

LOL, that reminds me the day someone knocked on my door, I was like no, sorry and then proceeded to listen to their life story of why they were moving, where to, and who was staying. I got the distinct feeling this person was trying to make friends with me on their last day in town. So when I closed the door, I was all "Does it look like I have a scale?" Husband giggled and said "Nah, I think it was just from their window they see you all the time getting into and out of the cars with your bags and shoes and clothes and jackets and they were like sitting around looking at the luggage weight requirements wondering and then suddenly---I know who! That girl down the way, she's like Barbie...that b!tch has everything!"
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    ^ well the one's i was trying at target that sucked for like 20 times 20 different reading with a range of like 5 lbs on either side were the dial ones.

so this is what I was thinking too binary. and it seems like everyone above who likes their scale it's digital and I wish I could get that hella awesome jof one that links to MFP, but two things. ONE i'm gonna buy it soon so I'm not gonna wait to have the affords for that one and.... TWO I wanna reserve the right NOT to tell MFP what the scale says sometimes in case I don't like the answer. LOL.

Then look at a model like I linked - very consistent, very basic and afforable, well made and easy to use, under $30 right now on amazon.

Well the online said it was at Walmart so I braved walmart and even went braless just to try to fit in.

They didn't have your precise model which I really wanted for the no tap feature, but I found another model with other features that seemed decent. Like body fat, bmi, and even water % measuring. Realizing these have all been told to me are somewhat innacurate on scales to measure I bought it anyway reasoning that it would at least compare to itself and tell me improvement as measured against itself. Lo and behold when I got it home it does have the no tap weighing feature as well which is awesome. So the only thing missing that I really wanted from yours was the light up feature but as the only spot I had for it was directly in front of a light switch anyways that seems to be a non issue. I have already programmed it for my height and weight and age and my husbands as it also has presets to save all that info for up to 4 users. OF COURSE my first time measuring all the info are slightly off my last measured one's but that's to be expected and from now on I will be able to measure gains on this same device. Anytime I'm feeling too weird about my weight I can just jump on and get an instant readout in a split second. Love that. Anytime I wanna reframe that result with water info or whatnot I can just get off push a button and get some rationale as to a higher number instead of logging on here and starting a terrified thread asking if water is responsible for a fluctuation.

This reminds me, to the guy who was saying that accountability would be furthered by the scale telling MFP my weights it's precisely because I'm a woman who's weight is subject to once-a-month wild fluctuations due to water and etc. that I'd prefer my scale didn't report to MFP ALL THE TIME. Some days I just don't wanna know. And don't want anyone else to either.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. And yeah if anything goes wrong with this scale I'm going with Binary's handle one. Either way I have plans to get the Jof one when I am very close to goal weight to keep myself in check with the kind of accountability you all referred to. I feel at that point I will know if I can be trusted with a scale not to weigh 3 times a day or too many times a week and can skip the really innacurate days of the month. This is a test. Of my will power. Regarding the scale.

This is what I got mBpOVpG04osQrXDTrm1L-Wg.jpg
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Health-o-Meter-BFM145-63-Professional-Body-Fat-Scale-/151075784597

I like how while it's thinking the little zeroes bounce around while I'm waiting, it reminds me of electronic slots or something. Like a fun game.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yay! Glad you got a scale!
  • lswatson111304
    lswatson111304 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Glad you found one, I had a similar one once that read your bf% and such...my toddler peed on it and fried it. LOL So yeah, just watch out for toddlers. HAHAHA I have the healthometer now and I really like it, it is pretty accurate, measures the same as my Dr. office, and I can get on it a bunch of times and not fluctuate! It also stores for 2 people I think, but I don't use that feature! My kids have also put it through a lot and still goes good for years! Woo!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Glad you found one, I had a similar one once that read your bf% and such...my toddler peed on it and fried it. LOL So yeah, just watch out for toddlers. HAHAHA I have the healthometer now and I really like it, it is pretty accurate, measures the same as my Dr. office, and I can get on it a bunch of times and not fluctuate! It also stores for 2 people I think, but I don't use that feature! My kids have also put it through a lot and still goes good for years! Woo!

oh my goodness thanks for the warning! my kiddo's currently just jumping on it and saying stuff like "you gotta be kidding me!" and "oh wow no way" and stuff.

meantime I'm resisting the urge to get on again today. this is really a test
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Now, I want your scale.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    ^LOL ...scale envy.

Just stopped in to say that since getting that scale yesterday I have gotten on it approximately 20 times. Not looking good for self restraint, guys.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Okay, Yes this is going to be the single most neurotic thread in the history of MFP.

I have decided to allow myself to get on and off the scale as many times as necessary even though I'm wearing the tight thigh gap creating short shorts that prove I have not gained weight. I am going to buffer this by only logging my cals and other info once a week on Monday Mornings. I'm choosing Monday Mornings because alliteration and The Bangles. That should offset the nutsbonkers that is going on in my bathroom currently.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    okay probably around 23 times. It's almost bedtime. wish me luck i don't do another ten at the last minute like I just killed a bunch of cals at the last minute. The crickets in this thread is making me treat it as a newsfeed or something. IDK.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I wish you lived in my town because the pharmacy by my house sells these awesomely accurate, simple digital scales with their logo for three bucks.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    4 more times today.... *smh*

I love bad numbers, that's my f'king problem
    and yeah I like to weigh, I got a f'king problem
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any bad reviews for the Taylor brand. I got their food scale and love it! I was going to get a scale from Taylor but didn't have any within reach to me. Good brand!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I haven't seen any bad reviews for the Taylor brand. I got their food scale and love it! I was going to get a scale from Taylor but didn't have any within reach to me. Good brand!

Do they make a people scale? Cause that's what this thread was about.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Two more times yesterday and only Once this morning so far.

I put a chair over it so that might be helping the temptation.
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have an Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital. I got it for its excellent reputation for consistency and for the manufacturer's support. I like that I can get on it, get my weight, get off and back on, and get exactly the same. Some digital scales, for whatever reason, can't manage that. I once got on, off, picked up a 5 pound weight, and back on. It was exactly 5 pounds higher, to the tenth of a pound. Very nice. Even my old analog Taylor couldn't do that. Eatsmart has done a great job of building up a strong reputation.

Note: I don't work for them, sell their stuff, anything like that. I just own one.
  • Kalepa
    Kalepa Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a balance beam scale and use it to weigh daily, when I am on a low-calorie diet and am losing weight. One reason I like it is because when I get on it, I never move the indicator higher. I know that if I am on a low-enough calorie diet, the weight will have to come off -- unless the laws of physics are suspended in my neck of the woods.

So the indicator can either stay at the same level it was the day before or go lower -- but never higher, because that would be de-motivating.

I am once again on a low-calorie diet and was delighted to get on my balance beam scale this morning without trepidation -- actually lost some weigh (and I graphed that).

Has anyone tried this approach to daily weighing?

Yours,

Caleb