just a lean meat and vegies for dinner

Options
55tolose
55tolose Posts: 510 Member
I really really hate cooking elaborate meals and for me simply putting together a lasagna or combining ingredients in any way is a good way to get something left out or something burnt! I have a hard time making mashed potatoes with gravy and a meat and a vegie all at once lol

soo is it okay to just cook up a piece of lean meat like a cut of chicken or fish and serve with boiled vegies every day? no soups or recipes to deal with just a simple meat with a side of vegies?

Replies

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    One of my go-to meals is to pan fry lean steaks (sear them well on each side for a minute or two) and then dump in a bunch of my favorite vegetables and saute until I am ready to eat. This makes for a great vegetable broth that moistens the steak and if you are really daring you can cook some rice to go with the vegie and broth. (Mushrooms, onions, spinage, tomatoes, celery and carrots is my usual mix of vegetables.) Nothing wrong with lean meat and vegetables or fruit for dinner.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. Makes for a quick and easy dinner after work. I get plenty of carbs in with breakfast and lunch, usually.

I steam fresh veggies in the microwave, marinated usually in an oil/vinegar/herb combination. Only takes a couple of minutes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's what we do most nights to be honest. The fanciest thing we have is tacos, lol. The rest is just some meat or fish baked, grilled or cooked in the pan with nothing and frozen veggies, with sometimes some couscous or whole wheat egg noodles or something to go with it.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I can't be bothered to cook veggies. I throw together a salad of baby greens and grape tomatoes and if I have more energy chop some cucumbers or green peppers.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be? So long as you're meeting your nutrition goals and fueling your body, you'll be fine. You don't have to cook elaborate meals or anything. I never do, it's pretty much protein and veggies and/or fruit here. My husband eats very few carbs, so casseroles are usually out, so it's just easier to have all the ingredients separate and he eats extra meat, the kids and I get the veggies/fruit, and I might toss a starch on the side for us as well.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    soo is it okay to just cook up a piece of lean meat like a cut of chicken or fish and serve with boiled vegies every day? no soups or recipes to deal with just a simple meat with a side of vegies?

Yes
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I am in college. This happens to me many many times :)
  • 55tolose
    Options
    Thank you guys for making me feel sane!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    Of course you could, but why not use more cooking methods to add variety and flavor. I just had a AAA T-bone on the barbie tonight with 2 salads a green salad and a caprese salad with buffalo mozzarella.....that took 20 minutes.
  • 55tolose
    Options
    because I don't need variety : ) .... variety makes me not want to cook at all which I don't. I usually just don't eat during the day because its more convenient not to
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    because I don't need variety : ) .... variety makes me not want to cook at all which I don't. I usually just don't eat during the day because its more convenient not to
    Cool. I'm a chef, so I sometimes forget that there are people that look at food that way.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Yeah, that sounds totally normal. Boiled veggies are the easier thing ever! I would add a small portion of a grains though, a little bit of multigrain pasta, rice, quinoa or couscous, so easy to make. Mix in with veggies (1:1 ratio, or even more veggies if possible). No heavy sauces!!! Use a bit of EVOO and/or herbs for flavour.
  • NMJiggles
    NMJiggles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lean meat is good, boiled veggies, allright. I personally prefer to cut up a piece of lean meat and throw it on top of a green salad If I do eat veggies, it's usually raw with seasoning or lemon. I stay away from potatoes because they make me hungry soon after eating them! (rice too). Sometimes I heat up one of those low calorie tv dinners and I'm done! Seven little boxes will feed you dinner for the whole week! Easy!
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    Just to make you feel more sane, I tend to cook several days' worth of chicken over the weekend so I can just nuke it with veggies in the evening or throw it in a container to bring for lunch. Elaborate equals tonight's turkey burger on toasted bread. Since I like to think of myself as at least someone normal, I'm betting you are too! :happy:
  • 55tolose
    Options
    yeah for me eating is kind of a bother lol

for me the reason that I avoid or that I'm starting to avoid pasta and potatoes is that I think it messes with my PCOS I have recently heard that one a high percentage of women with PCOS have insulin resistance qualities about them and carbs only exacerbate the problem I decided not to eat pasta for an entire week And I was surprised to find that for the first time in months I wasn't bloatedso I think I'm going to go the boring way and eat almost exactly the same thing everyday doing something so simple might actually work for me instead of following stupid recipes all the time
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    sure it is. or just cut up raw veg.

I actually prefer roasted veg over boiled or steamed - it's just as easy and tastes oh so much better.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That's one of my go-to meals :) I have a microwave steamer and a grill pan and that = dinner a few nights a week.

I do use herb sprinkles etc to make it more interesting.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    I make quinoa mixed with a cup of frozen vegetables and mix a can of tuna in with it. Easy and I love it