Abdominoplasty

Options
Moz2ie
Moz2ie Posts: 17 Member
Hi All,

I have just recently restarted calorie counting with MFP and have an enormous amount of weight to lose. I am currently 159.7kg and was 173kg at my heaviest. I have tried all the usual - shakes, programs etc etc and have found for me good old calorie counting seems to work best.

One thing I am really afraid of is my disappointment as the kgs come off and my body still looking hideous due to the stretched skin on my stomach. Has anyone had abdominoplasty and if so would you possibly post your before and after photo's? I would also love to hear about how the procedure went, costs - I'll need to start saving now! (also I'm in Australia for any Aussies that can help me price it). Positive and negative stories welcome as I want to be realistic with my expectations.

Thank you!

Replies

• AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

There seem to be a fair number of people here who have lost very substantial amounts of weight. I wonder if you might get more responses if you post it to one of the groups for people who have (or have had) more than 100 lbs to lose, such as:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/685-100-lbs-to-lose

It's possible, too, that some of them might have found that they didn't necessarily need surgery to remove excess skin--I'm not sure!

Good luck with your question, and with your health!
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi...you started very close to my intitial body weight (173.1 kilos)...I am currently 90.2 kilos...I definitely do have excess skin altho not as bad as you would expect considering how much I have lost. I still want to lose at least another 14 kilos and yes I am from australia :) Feel free to add me. This is a journal of a australian girl who had a lower body lift which she details costs and also what she was able to claim on medicare and private health http://prettyif.blogspot.com.au/p/body.html. Depending where you are located you may be able to get the surgery on the public health system. I will be looking into that next year. Also my understanding is get down to a very small body fat % and then see how your skin is.
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm useless, not being Australian or having quite as much to lose. But! I read a couple of great blogs by women who've had tummy tucks and they include lots of detailed before and afters and cost: http://puffin-to-lose-the-muffin.tumblr.com/ and http://treadmillionaire.tumblr.com/.
  • Moz2ie
    Options
    Thanks Ladies, you have put some good links up and I will follow your advise. WOW Kaz you are truly inspirational. Well done on your success!
  • jgood21
    jgood21 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would just lose the weight and not worry about what your end result will look like...because it hasn't happened yet. I am very surprised at how my skin has reacted to the weight loss..it is so much better than I thought it would be. Worrying about surgery and all that stuff will just be discouraging. Get healthy first, and think about that when you are done.
  • amanstewa3
    amanstewa3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy-tuck about 5 years ago. It was the best thing I ever done for myself. I was overweight when I had the procedure done but it has made exercise so much easier, along with a breast reduction I had a year after the tummy-tuck. The only drawback I see for myself is that I am in the process of losing weight (30 to 40 pounds) and will probably have to have my tummy touched up a little because I imagine I will probably have some loose skin again. But I'll deal with that when I get there.

As far as cost, I am in the USA and I paid $6500 which included anesthesia. I do suggest that you check out several plastic surgeons and don't be afraid to ask questions. Find a doctor with at least 5 years experience in plastic surgery and make sure they are in good health. (I say that because my surgeon was an older man with health problems (I didn't know at the time). He was supposed to revise my breast reduction at no charge but had a heart attack and nearly died before doing so thus retiring.)

The best plastic surgery website I have found is www.makemeheal.com. It has a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I thought I would need a tummy tuck by the time I finish losing all my weight, however, just recently, I have been seeing drastic results in my tummy area. I have lost 85 pounds, and have another 5-15 left to lose. In just the last 2 months, my tummy skin has started to shribble up and shrink! I actually had a pancake type flap that hung down. I gave birth to 5 children, which were 5 separate pregnancies, plus was extremely over weight. My tummy was bad! Who knows, maybe you will be surprised at what your skin does as you lose the weight! I have some tummy pics on my weight loss facebook, which the link is on my MFP profile. Anyways, good luck to you, you can definitely lose the weight!
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I thought I would need a tummy tuck by the time I finish losing all my weight, however, just recently, I have been seeing drastic results in my tummy area. I have lost 85 pounds, and have another 5-15 left to lose. In just the last 2 months, my tummy skin has started to shribble up and shrink! I actually had a pancake type flap that hung down. I gave birth to 5 children, which were 5 separate pregnancies, plus was extremely over weight. My tummy was bad! Who knows, maybe you will be surprised at what your skin does as you lose the weight! I have some tummy pics on my weight loss facebook, which the link is on my MFP profile. Anyways, good luck to you, you can definitely lose the weight!
    This gives me hope! I have the muffin top after having had 4 kids, and was afraid that even with losing enough weight it might not go away...
  • keg619
    keg619 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ridi222
    ridi222 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter in June 2012. Before I was pregnant, I'm 5'7 with a small/medium build and weighed 135 lbs and my last weigh in before my c-section I was 238!

I am 158 lbs now, down 80 lbs and I have plateaued. My daughter is 13 months now and I'm ready to kick my weight loss into high gear. I am staying under 30 net carbs until my birthday Halloween.

I have a little loose skin and a pouch from the c-section. I will absolutely be having a tummy tuck and a breast reduction when I reach my goal weight. I know I can maintain that weight with ease.

Having immersed myself in the world of plastic surgery, beauty treatments, etc. I've seen and studied the before and after photos of thousands of patients who had "mommy makeovers" and abdominoplasty.

You should be within 10-15 lbs of your goal weight before the procedure. Having liposuction will greatly boost your outcome.

MAKE SURE you carefully review your surgeon's before/after photos. Look for the incision placement and beware of "dog ears" which are flaps at the sides of the hips.

Loose skin, rolls, stretch marks etc.. do not go away. They may look slightly different depending on hydration levels and topical treatments but they will not go away completely.

Also, there are women who looked so fab after a tummy tuck that they became pregnant.. again! And guess what.. most of the time the tummy stays just fine. You might just need a tune up after. =]

Good luck!
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would just lose the weight and not worry about what your end result will look like...because it hasn't happened yet. I am very surprised at how my skin has reacted to the weight loss..it is so much better than I thought it would be. Worrying about surgery and all that stuff will just be discouraging. Get healthy first, and think about that when you are done.

I agree. You will have enough on your mind working towards your goal. The only thing I would add is I think it's a good idea for you to start a savings fund now. If you need/want the surgery you have the $$. If you don't, go on a vacation or buy yourself something nice :)
  • leedebter
    leedebter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck about 2 1/2 years ago. It cost about 6500 in the US. Choosing the surgeon is the most important thing. I couldn't be happier with mine. I had lost 130 pounds and had quite a bit of skin. Not everyone needs it. I have seen people who lose that much and exercise hard and their skin does shrink. It's not an easy surgery but worth every second of recovery and every cent to me. Makemeheal.com is a great website. A lot of pics and details from people going through it.
  • Moz2ie
    Options
    I think starting a savings fund now is a great idea. I'm doing really well using MFP and hope that by the end of it and maybe a bit of surgery later I'll look like the person I feel on the inside. I am sticking to 1200 - 1300 calories a day and am seeing steady weight loss. I plateaued for a week but then it shifted again - & I didn't give up!! Thanks everyone for your stories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!