jawbone Up

Options
I was considering getting the jawbone up to track my calories. Anyone have any experience with it?

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same...
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love mine.
    It tracks my steps, calories, sleep. I can also set it to vibrate at whatever interval I want to remind me to get up and move (mineis set to 45 min). It also tracks my workouts and has a smart alarm for naps.
    It syncs seamlessly with MFP, so my meals are tracked within in, but also, MFP/UP counts my "calorie adjustment" and factors that into my "excersize " for the day.
    I find it to be VERY accurate, my AMR is about 2200 based on all the calculators and I find that on an average day, my UP says Ive burned between 2100 and 2500 calories.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It is really helpful and an innovative tool. It is very accurate and syncs with myfitnesspal. The battery lasts for 9-10 days so that makes it very convenient.

A couple of weeks ago, it died on me. Battery malfunctioned. I've had the band since April. It happened on July 3rd... so it took them a while to get back to me due to the holiday weekend. But they sent me a new one and it got here on the 17th. Exactly two weeks after it died...

Besides that, I love it. My only advice is to check out the fitbit and see which one best suits you. I wouldn't suggest getting the Nike Fuelband since it's the most expensive but doesn't track your sleep.

If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer them.
  • Riley2521
    Riley2521 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I actually use the Fitbit Flex, and I find it much more convenient. I like how it syncs to my iPhone without having to plug it in. Same rules though, works with MFP.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have the UP and love it for tracking my steps, sleep, etc. But I still have problems with how it syncs with MFP. If I track an exercise at 250 calories on MFP, it shows a negative adjustment of 250 calories from my UP band.
  • BadFatPants
    Options
    I bought the UP and returned it. It wasn't as geared to weight loss as I feel the Fitbit is. Bonus points go for the "movement reminders", the constant visual reminder that you're trying to not be fat anymore, and the fact that it's not giant and screams "HI, I'M A FITNESS BAND" like the Fitbit Flex.

I bought the Fitbit One, in exchange for the Jawbone. I just didn't like the user tools, it never synched correctly the first time plugging it in, and it didn't balance calories like the Fitbit. I felt like it was more of a lifestyle tool, than a weight loss tool..
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES. Does anyone know if it tracks miles ran? thanks.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    We bought the Up for my 17-year son. He lost it (wore it wave running and a wipeout ripped it off his arm and it sunk). I've ordered him a Fitbit Flex ... the entire time he had the UP I wished it was a Fitbit anyway (as we are a Fitbit family).

My son isn't here to ask about your miles question - but I think any pedometer that calculates steps does transfer that into miles, but it is subjective based on your estimated stride length, etc. To get an accurate miles (outside anyway) you would want something with GPS (like a Garmin).
  • jmcowan42
    Options
    Yes it does track miles walked/ran. The stopwatch feature lets you collect information about a specific workout. So for a run, it will tell you distance traveled in miles, the time, the pace, steps and calories burned. If you're a runner, or run occasionally, I would recommend you to try it out. If you don't run at all it might just be a waste of money since it can't calculate bike rides, lifting, etc.
  • mdn15
    Options
    i actually run, lift, HIIT, and kick box. The jawbone won't track the lifting at all?
  • okolo
    okolo Posts: 24
    Options
    suggestion: track activity and calories only w/ the UP and track only food w/ MFP
    That's the method I've been using and no probs so far.
  • jmcowan42
    Options
    i actually run, lift, HIIT, and kick box. The jawbone won't track the lifting at all?

It can only track step based movements... But you can input almost any exercise just like you would on myfitnesspal... You can input the time and intensity of the workout and it will add the calories burned to your day. There's a lot of exercises like lifting, biking, swimming, and crosstraining that you can add.

There's several videos on youtube showing you what all you can do with the app.
  • mdn15
    Options
    thanks for the tips.
  • firefightingwoman2455
    Options
    I love mine. I let it calculate my workout calories etc and track food with MFP and love it. It (and lifting weights) helped me break my plateau (made me move more because I wanted to see what it said).
  • zarabeth
    zarabeth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have one, and my daughter has a fitflex. I like mine, she adores hers. It seems the fit community is more involved, and it syncs better with MFP.

The UP sleep is better, it has an alarm that I love but it is extremely annoying that it only seems to count actual steps and nothing else. I painted a room and laid a new floor and it counted nothing during that time. It buzzed me like I was on the couch.

I have been eyeing the amiigo that is due out soon. That one counts heart rate, lifting and a whole lotta other cool things.