How do you eat sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Try baked/microwaved with pineapple salsa on top! Amazing! I eat the skin where some of the nutrients also live :)
  • chefstew79
    chefstew79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I partially cook by boiling them with the skins on. Next I remove the skins and cut them into slices like scalloped potatoes. I layer those slices in a lasagna pan with brown sugar, sea salt, and curry. Top em with a crumble made from crushed pecans and brown sugar. Bake at 375 for about 40minutes.

I also like sweet potato fries: slice em into thin (leave skins on), soak them in salt water brine, dry, then oven roast at 425 until done. Alternatively, you can deep fry them
  • alamarana2885
    alamarana2885 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I typically have mine for breakfast!! Sweet potato hash! Sooo yummy and a nice change from plain old bacon (or sausage) and eggs.

http://www.ziplist.com/souschef?url=http://paleomg.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-hash/
  • jfurrrr
    jfurrrr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love loaded sweet potatoes. I often will top a sweet potato with black beans, roasted corn, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes and light sour cream for a filling lunch.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I LYK MA SWEET PERTATERZ WIT JUX MAYO
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

BUT DOO U WAY DEM PERTATERZ B4 U PEAL DEM OR AFDER?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

I DUN PEAL DEM I JUX STIK DA HOLE THANG IN DA FRYER LOLOL
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

I DUN PEAL DEM I JUX STIK DA HOLE THANG IN DA FRYER LOLOL

MMMMM, DAT SOWNZ GUD
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    1. Stab 3 potatoes with fork or knife.

2. Set in microwave.

large, round ones: 8 minutes. Flip. 8 minutes. Do not overcook. Heat until soft when pressed.

3. Peel (careful, hot!)

4. Mash

5. Add 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Add about 2 packets of sweetener of choice per potato, to taste.

Calories: 95 per 1/2 cup

With 2 tablespoons lite frozen cool whip: 115 calories.

Bring it to work in a plastic container and heat 10 - 15 seconds until just warm.

There you go, pumpkin pie with fewer calories.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I just had a sweet potato for dinner - cooked it in the microwave and topped it with my homemade guacamole - just 241 calories for a 5 oz potato and 1/2 cup guac :)

Made my tummy happy :bigsmile:
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Either bake them or microwave them till they're soft and scoop them out with a spoon. Some people likes it with butter, but I eat it plain cuz they're sweet enough for me.
  • connietalla
    Options
    try quartering regular potatoe and spray with vegetable spray and season with barbeque spice and bake at 350 til done depending if u like them crunchy or not its like a real treat
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I split them in half, bake, then eat with a wee bit of butter and cinnamon :)
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing and you don't need the already wrapped microwave ones either...buy regular, poke a fork in it for vent, and pop it in the microwave. I then scoop out the inside. That's how I eat mine along with some light butter and cinnamon sugar :)
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My dad's recipe:

Make some mashed sweet potatos, mix in some Kraft Philedelphia Whipped Cream Cheese in onion or chives flavour.

It's pretty damn good.
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Love 'em roasted, too! Just a tad of salt, pepper and a little cooking spray. Bake until tender. If you put on baking sheet, the outsides will crisp up. And they are very good FOR YOU to boot!
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    Oven baked :) I'm having it with some chicken, mushrooms and peppers chopped up and a bit of sauce with it :)
  • LeboMatho
    LeboMatho Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reference:wink:
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump!