HELP WITH BURNING FAT WITHOUT THE BULK

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Prancercise, clearly the answer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew

No way! Thor does Prancercise and he's bulky as all get out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtuxaEcaYuQ

Holy....You win the internet.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    exercise doesn't 'burn' fat. that's a myth. Fat is either stored or consumed regardless of your caloric output based on the insulin in circulation in your blood. insulin is stimulated by carbohydrates. that's why all diets that are designed to lose fat, focus on carbohydrate restriction. reduce carbs, reduce insulin, reduce the 'storage' of fat and encourage its consumption by the body so called 'ketosis'. Muscles will burn glycogen, fat or proteins depending on what's available. If insulin is circulating to excess, the fats are being 'stored' that's the chemistry of it and they are not available. having excess fat is caused by shutting down the natural system that makes fat available as an energy source for the body.

the exercise will build muscle either way. so if you're consuming excess carbs and exercising heavily you build both fat and muscle and get bulky but not 'cut'.

read Good Calories Bad Calories to get the science down and consider http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ as a vehicle for designing your diet around your body composition goals.
    Umm... No.

Not "all diets that are designed to lose fat" focus on carbohydrate restriction. In fact, the "eat how MFP recommends you eat" diet, which has contributed to the loss of millions of pounds of fat, does not focus on carbohydrate restriction.

Also, it is completely incorrect to say that "exercise will build muscle either way." Unless you are a newbie who has never exercised much, are eating a caloric surplus (note that I did not say carbohydrate surplus), and/or unless you are lifting heavy things, it's just not that easy to build muscle.

OP, go ahead and read the book this guy recommended because then you can ignore it knowing you made an educated decision. In the meantime, just move your body and eat at a moderate deficit. Oh, and be patient.

ETA- When I had fifty pounds left to lose, I was a bit afraid of getting bulky, too. I also thought I bulked up more easily than most women and I certainly am naturally stronger than most so it wasn't just my imagination. That being said, keeping as much of the muscle as possible while shedding the fat meant that I was healthier and LOOKED smaller than the scale indicated, even if (like you) my calves were too big for those cute knee high boots until way later than I thought they should have been.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    exercise doesn't 'burn' fat. that's a myth. Fat is either stored or consumed regardless of your caloric output based on the insulin in circulation in your blood. insulin is stimulated by carbohydrates. that's why all diets that are designed to lose fat, focus on carbohydrate restriction. reduce carbs, reduce insulin, reduce the 'storage' of fat and encourage its consumption by the body so called 'ketosis'. Muscles will burn glycogen, fat or proteins depending on what's available. If insulin is circulating to excess, the fats are being 'stored' that's the chemistry of it and they are not available. having excess fat is caused by shutting down the natural system that makes fat available as an energy source for the body.

the exercise will build muscle either way. so if you're consuming excess carbs and exercising heavily you build both fat and muscle and get bulky but not 'cut'.

read Good Calories Bad Calories to get the science down and consider http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ as a vehicle for designing your diet around your body composition goals.
    Fat energy is mostly burned at REST. Eating at a calorie deficit uses excess storage. One doesn't have to reduce carbs to get lean.
    Carbs aren't evil and being ketogenic doesn't help with muscle building due to lack of mTOR.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

all diets?

pure nonsense, you can lose fat eating nothing but carbs as long as you maintain a caloric deficit. (and you'll find "Good Calories, Bad Calories" in the fiction section of your local bookstore)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    in for pictures of bulky!
  • jakesgirl05
    Options
    I probably won't ever post pics of myself on MFP. Especially after the rude responses I've encountered. Why would I subject myself to more judgement and ridicule from people that so not know anything about me except for a "username" and a question. U would never put pics of myself up anywhere public because I'm not okay with sharing that. I don't have tob
  • jakesgirl05
    Options
    Prove anything. Ridiculous. I asked a question. An honest simple question. Period. I do not want big muscular thighs. I am not here to judge any body for their choice in what they ultimately want to look like. If I were 100% fine with my aesthetic I wouldn't be here asking for suggestions. Key word, suggestions, not judgement, not what do you think of my question. Honestly. Good grief!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the reason people want 'proof' is because one persons idea of 'bulky' is not the same as another persons... so by using pictures, or even measurments of your thighs before you did exercise, and then again when they got 'bulky' from bodyweight squats would enable people to help you more.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Op stay away from hgh and roids
  • Need2lose456
    Need2lose456 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    the only thing different about bulking and cutting is the way you eat. I train the exact same when im losing or when im gaining, it's all about diet. Most likey in your case, your probably just getting a pump where blood flows into your muscle which 100% will go away.

^This
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    We were only suggesting pictures so we could HELP you, no need to get a stick up your *kitten* about it.

If you would LIKE an honest unbiased opinion on wether or not you look "bulky" you are welcome to send me them via pm and I will try to help as best I can.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just as an example of why a picture makes a difference. I've always thought I had heavy thighs and fat knees. When I look down at them I see bulky. Other people tell me I have twiggy legs and I actually have the thigh gap coveted by teen girls. Most of us see ourselves much differently than what we really are. Getting an unbiased opinion can sometimes be a mental help.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

no.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It is IMPOSSIBLE for you to actually gain muscle bulk while in a calorie deficit. If you are adding size you are eating at a surplus. Regardless of what you think, unless you have hormone problems, you do not "bulk up" easily. No woman does. Many think they do but if they actually took measurements instead of going by appearance they would see they aren't. The point is, until you actually reach your goal your appearance will be a bit lopsided in some ways because the different parts of the body do not lose fat at the same rate. That is a fact you just have to accept.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Prove anything. Ridiculous. I asked a question. An honest simple question. Period. I do not want big muscular thighs. I am not here to judge any body for their choice in what they ultimately want to look like. If I were 100% fine with my aesthetic I wouldn't be here asking for suggestions. Key word, suggestions, not judgement, not what do you think of my question. Honestly. Good grief!

You will not get bigger, more muscular thighs unless you are eating at a surplus and lifting progressively heavy weights.
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    I predict this thread will go well.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I probably won't ever post pics of myself on MFP. Especially after the rude responses I've encountered. Why would I subject myself to more judgement and ridicule from people that so not know anything about me except for a "username" and a question. U would never put pics of myself up anywhere public because I'm not okay with sharing that. I don't have tob

Why not? I :heart: women with huge muscles. Lets see! I mean come on, from all those lunges and squats from your DVDs you have to be close to competing in the Miss Universe contest right?
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    the only thing different about bulking and cutting is the way you eat. I train the exact same when im losing or when im gaining, it's all about diet. Most likey in your case, your probably just getting a pump where blood flows into your muscle which 100% will go away.

I agree with this. Might be a good time to examine how much you are eating. The results I get whether it be bulky or lean depends on the amount of food I eat --even when I stick to one exercise regimin (P90X)