How do you eat sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• laurenward1990
    laurenward1990 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love making sweet potato wedges. Bit of olive oil rubbed in, and then I tend to coat them in a little bit of Cajun or jerk seasoning. Yummy,

Me too! I love sweet potatoes!
  • JayVarys
    JayVarys Posts: 37
    Options
    I chop them up and put them in soups with other veggies. They taste awesome with veggie broth

I've chopped them up and baked them in my oven, also mashed and ate them. Never thought to chop them up and add them to my soups. Gotta try that.
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for baked potato with tuna, cottage cheese, cherry tomatoes and a bit of chilli - bet this would be delicious with a baked sweet potato instead
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i like it best topped with black beans..mixed with chipolte and cayenne with some corn, onion, and bell pepper...but i eat them all different ways!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I usually chew

I said it
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I make tuna and chilli fish cakes with them and serve with a salad. Their really nice. :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Put em in ur mouth, chew, swallow
  • allylbrown
    allylbrown Posts: 71
    Options
    Microwaved with a little agave and cinamon
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    baked with a bit of salt and pepper and heaped with chilli ! Ommm nom nommm
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    With a fork :wink: But seriously I have had them many way's baked with in the oven then opened and fluffed with some butter (sometimes topped with cheese and tuna), chopped up in soups (sweet potato, carrots and fennel is yummy) or stews, roasted with other veggies and some garlic, sliced very thin and crisped up with a little salt or sprinkled with some cinnamon. Such a versatile vegetable really can easily be made sweet or savory.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I don't. They aren't as tasty as they sound!
    I'd say mashed would be best.
  • phillinnz
    phillinnz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Boil them till almost done, then grill with pieces of chicken breat on skewers. Yum.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering this myself last night because I had leftover sweet potatoes!

I'm trying them baked with some cajun spice on top with a ham and chorizo side salad. Hope it's good!
  • shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I live in Cambodia and they use sweet potatoes in curries. really tasty. You can probably find a recipe if you Google "Khmer Style Curry".
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Sliced with skin on (scrub first). Drizzle with a tad of EVOO, sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Roast until they are cooked through and carmelized a bit. Delicious!

Well, sounds awesome except for the salt. That makes the sweet potato sweat, which keeps it from getting crispy.

Put the salt on at the end!
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Just remembered another recipe. This freezes well, just portion out the rice and lentil mix. It has an interesting flavor, really good.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lentil-sweet-potato-curry

@pcastagner The skin crisps due to the olive oil and the meat cooks up tender. I like to roast them so they look really browned, almost burnt. But you are correct, salt will draw out moisture.
  • sunnybear39
    sunnybear39 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just microwave and scoop them out and eat them plain. They are creamy enough not to need butter, and skip the sugar...you don't need it. They are perfectly sweet all alone.

I agree! best way to eat them in my opinion :)
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I bake them with olive oil, rosemary, sea salt, pepper and chopped white onions....very tasty. No need for sugar as they are already sweet enough on their own.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Just remembered another recipe. This freezes well, just portion out the rice and lentil mix. It has an interesting flavor, really good.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lentil-sweet-potato-curry

@pcastagner The skin crisps due to the olive oil and the meat cooks up tender. I like to roast them so they look really browned, almost burnt. But you are correct, salt will draw out moisture.

maillard reaction will be greatly reduced if you salt before baking!

Oil yes, salt no!

Also, don't use wet potatoes! they gots to be dry!