Advice please. Coming off the camebridge diet

Options
Hi everyone

For the last 5 weeks I have been doing the camebridge weight plan, soul sorce plus (basically food replacement to the value of approx 640 kcals per day, all your nutrients etc, etc.) It was the hardest thing I have ever done but I have lost 19lbs in weight over those 5 weeks. I have decided to move away from Camebridge (long story, cost, consultant, support etc) and work on my lifestyle. I still have 10lbs to lose to get to my first goal BMI but I have approx 8 weeks to do this.

I am posting because I am panicing about gaining all that weight back by just claorie counting. So my weight doesnt spiral I am starting off on 800 cals even though my mfp says 1250 to lose approx 2lbs a week. My diet is varied and I am taking a multi vitamin to make sure I am getting my daily allowance. Has anyone had a similar experience or can provide some advice??

Replies

• Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You should never eat less then 1200 calories. That is the very LEAST you should eat, you really should get more then that though. I think you need to do a little research and figure out your TDEE, and read up on nutrition some. Good luck to you!

Here is a website to help you figure out how many calories you should eat. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    first off, congrats on the 19 lb!

Secondly, what's the hurry with the deadline?

Thirdly, how tall/ heavy/active are you now? Unless you're 5'0 and extremely sedentary I would say 800 kcal is too little for you - not that you won't lose the weight because of the dreaded "starvation mode myth" but you risk seriously damaging your organism and cause long-term problems even if you take vitamins to make up the nutrients.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say, everyone I've ever known that has done the cambridge diet has gained all the weight back they've lost, plus some. My advice would be to never have done it in the first place, but hey, it's too late for that.

800 calories is still far too low, and 2lb a week loss is far too aggressive for someone with only 10lb to lose.

Set your MFP to lose 1/2 lb a week, put your activity level as sedentary, then log and eat back your exercise calories. You will gain weight in the beginning, there's no doubt about it, (although a lot will be water weight), but that's the problem with coming off of a VLC diet. But if you can swallow that initial gain and keep at it, the rest of the weight will come off in due course, and in a healthy way.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but what is more important, being 10lb lighter or not damaging your body any more?

Also, scrap the deadline. This needs to be a lifetime change, not a quick fix.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. 800 calories a day is not sustainable. You are going to gain some of the weight back, and a good part of it will be water and glycogen. This is normal and healthy. This is why so many people advise against replacement diets like this. Coming off can be rough, and it is disheartening to see weight come back when you starved yourself to get there. Try reading the below post as a starting point. Doing it the right way will be better in the long term, even if it takes a little longer, since it won't come back when you go back to eating like a person again.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • sarav58
    sarav58 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

Thanks for all your advice on this! Lauren - thanks for the advice and I thought this might be the case, oh well will take your advice.

The deadline for the 10lbs is in relation to an IVF appointment I have in 8 weeks where I have to be BMI 29, so by know means should that BMI be my stopping point as I realise it is still over weight but its a long way from the 36 plus it was a year ago!

I have to admit I was totally brainwashed by the whole camebridge thing and ketosis that I am a little scared to eat now!

I will grin and bare the initial gains and keep going, again thanks for all your advice!

x
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Increase your calories and increase the exercise. You will be surprised how much you can eat without gaining. (aka TDEE)
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Fad diets make my angry :(
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd slowly increase calories until you're eating a proper amount. I understand that you don't want to suddenly go from 600 or whatever up to 1200 and over.

So maybe the first week have 1000, then 1200 the following week, and so on. Make sure you exercise too. Eat lots of protein and veggies. Slowly reintroduce carbs.

I wish you hadn't done the Cambridge diet, but I can understand why you want your BMI down. I've been lucky enough to get pregnant, but I know some ladies who've had problems and are in the same position as you are regarding weight.

Good luck!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    people are right that 800 is way too low, but it's ok to be concerned about putting the weight back on by suddenly going back to a more appropriate calorie goal. You may think about upping gradually: if you have been at 800, go for 1000 for a week or two, then up to 1200 for a week or two, and gradually like that until you get to whatever you decide will be your goal. (another couple of weeks under 1200 isn't going to kill you). Many people do find they gain when they first up their calories, but it does eventually level out. By doing it gradually it gives your body a little time to get used to the additional calories.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Fad diets make my angry :(

Fad diets make me angry and hungry
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    what's important to realise, is that a proportion of the weight that you lost was water weight, and you will gain back the water weight when you start eating normally again. It's important to realise that this is not fat, so gaining this weight back again will not make you fatter. When you eat less than you burn off (even on a much more sustainable diet with a small calorie deficit) some of what you burn off will be glycogen, and glycogen is stored as water. This is your body's short term energy store. Fat is your body's long term energy store. To lose weight the healthy way, you want your body to burn fat. Some burning of glycogen is inevitable, and when you switch to eating at maintenance, your body will start storing glycogen again, along with water, so you see a weight gain. Your body won't start storing fat again, unless you are eating more than you burn off. So don't freak out about water weight gains (and similarly don't fall for crash diet plans again, because a lot of what you lose on them is water weight). Having more glycogen is good for you, because it's your body's short term energy store, and you'll feel more energetic when your glycogen stores are high. People who run marathons sometimes run out of glycogen before they finish the marathon, this is "hitting the wall" and suddenly they can't run half as well as they could. Trying to exercise with no glycogen in your system is like trying to wade through treacle. So you want glycogen in your system.

To avoid fat gains (you probably did lose fat on this crash diet), you need to make sure you don't eat more calories than you burn off. If you calculate your calories with a calculator (e.g. katch mcArdle formula) that will give you your BMR (how many calories your body need to run itself) and you can use an appropriate activity factor to calcuate your TDEE (all the calories your body uses, including activity and exercise... BMR + activity/exercise calories = TDEE) - you need to eat less than your TDEE, but for health and sustainability reasons, you should eat more than your BMR. As you've been on a very low calorie diet, your metabolism may have slowed a little (this is a survival response to eating too few calories) but if you eat more and exercise, you can speed it up again (but like I said, expect water weight gains, and don't freak out about them, because they're not fat) - the usual advice is to increase your calories by maybe 100-200 a week until you're eating at a number that's below your TDEE, but not too far below. You should ultimately aim for slow and steady fat loss, because then you can be sure that it's all fat that you're losing and not healthy tissue (if you eat too little for too long your body will burn muscle for energy) - also this is more sustainable in the long term, and there's much less risk of gaining it all back again. When you increase your calories, like I said, expect water weight gains, but this will only be for the short term, once your body's glycogen stores are full, you will start to lose actual weight again, and even if you see a water weight gain on the scale, if you're eating less than you burn off, you may have lost fat, just it won't show on the scale if you also gained water.

Regarding BMI and success at IVF... this depends on the actual amount of fat your body is carrying. water weight gains or losses won't affect this. You need to actually reduce the amount of fat, and the above advice, i.e. eating between your BMR and TDEE will help with that. Aim to lose 1-2lb a week, any faster than that and it's unlikely to be just fat you're losing, as the body can only burn so much fat in a week. Slow and steady fat loss, through sustainable changes, is what's going to make you lose fat and keep it off for good.
  • sarav58
    sarav58 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all sooooo much for the amazing support!

xxx