New to the Gym

Options
Hi Everyone! I am looking for some guidance on what I should be doing to boost my weight loss and toning. I am going to start going to the local gym in my small little town and I am embarressed to say this but I have ABSOLUTELY NO idea what to do or where to start. I cannot afford a personal trainer so I will be going at this alone which terrifies me. I have lost 46 pounds with just watching what I eat and walking but I feel its time to step it up! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SW 224
CW 177
GW 150

Height 5' 3"

Replies

• framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'd say try out some classes if that comes in with your gym membership. I enjoy Zumba, Fab Abs class and Complete Conditioning along with going to the actual gym. Personally I use the treadmill, cross trainer, bike and rowing machine at the gym. It's a case of trying out the machines and finding those that you enjoy the most. Also try out the weighted machines which show you how to use them on the side to minimize injury :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    First off. I'd stay stop saying you want to boost your weight loss and tone. Can't really tone.
    Maybe say you want to lower your body fat %.

Second, look up starting strength or New Rules of lifting for women.

Look for the squat rack or power cage, this is your friend.

I did a lot of youtube watching for the lifts. Your going to want to try out squats, dead lifts, bench press, pendly row.

And awesome on joining the gym! :drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    check out some workouts on youtube

also check out New Rules of Lifting for women (or men- it doesn't matter)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    First off. I'd stay stop saying you want to boost your weight loss and tone. Can't really tone.
    Maybe say you want to lower your body fat %.

Second, look up starting strength or New Rules of lifting for women.

Look for the squat rack or power cage, this is your friend.

I did a lot of youtube watching for the lifts. Your going to want to try out squats, dead lifts, bench press, pendly row.

And awesome on joining the gym! :drinker:

^ This. Read, study, focus on form, and do it right from the beginning.
  • catbubbles
    catbubbles Posts: 28
    Options
    Start with something you know (walking). Use the treadmill and watch what other people do. This is what I did to lose that fear of the unknown. I watched what others were doing and then ventured my way over to other things.

As for toning, you can do something similar. Go over to the weights and pick a machine that looks familiar or at least not intimidating and while you are using it, watch others. This will give you a great sense of what to do. Also, you google to find out about different moves and form. Form is very important.

Your gym will likely have classes that can help you with these things to. Maybe even a free training session. Just ask, they will do what they can to help keep you around.
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you're happy on a treadmill the Couch 2 5K running program might be a good idea. Even if, like me, you just do the first week it's still a useful way to get started (I'm not really a runner, but it keeps me on the treadmill, and working harder than I would without it!)

I would also suggest doing any classes they have on offer! I love the Les Mills classes (I do Body Combat and Body Attack) and I go to Spinning classes too (they are hard work, but worth it!) - I even tried yoga this week too, which was good fun, and excellent for toning/ working your core muscles!

At the end of the day whatever you do is better than sitting at home, so a fast walk on the treadmill or similar on stationary bike is good for you - and you can maybe set yourself a target to do a few extra minutes next time, or to walk a mile a minute faster.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Resistance training in whatever guise you can cope with. Fixed weight machines, basic dummbells, Free-weight barbell compound lifts.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Most gyms will offer an introductory session with a trainer to help get you started. If they don't, you might be able to hire the trainer for a single 1 on 1 session. A single session should be fairly inexpensive and will give you confidence when using the equipment.
  • jwool40
    jwool40 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for responding, maybe toning was not the right terminology. I want to develop my strength and muscle tone.....and according to all the research that I have been doing building muscle will boost weight loss because more calories are burned with the more muscle you have. (If I retained all of the stuff that there is to read on this subject) Thanks for the suggestions on the things to try...I will be looking into all of that.
  • jwool40
    jwool40 Posts: 26
    Options
    Also side note.....when I say gym in my small town, I mean small there is no classes offered and the equipment is the only options to use. I live in a town that has one traffic light and no stop signs to speak of, the gym is in the high school and is open to the public for a fee each month. I am going to attempt to use it to my advantage though. I really appreciate all of the feedback and help!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    wait.

they have no free weights...

and no squat rack?

you need to look into body weight only exercises. And then start ordering weights or buying them from Wal-mart or ****ssporting Goods or Amazon.

OMG MFP bleeped out ****S. LMFAO
  • catbubbles
    catbubbles Posts: 28
    Options
    Also side note.....when I say gym in my small town, I mean small there is no classes offered and the equipment is the only options to use. I live in a town that has one traffic light and no stop signs to speak of, the gym is in the high school and is open to the public for a fee each month. I am going to attempt to use it to my advantage though. I really appreciate all of the feedback and help!

Well that reduces your options. LOL!

Do you have a friend you can take with you? That helps if you can bounce tips and motivation off each other.

Are there any free weights? I will say it again, GOOGLE is your friend. You can find anything you need about how to use the machines and weights.