Vegetable ideas?

Options
halama626
halama626 Posts: 16
I like to eat vegetables but it gets pretty boring when you eat them raw everyday. Does anyone have any ideas of what you can do with them with low calories? Like cucumbers, carrots, ect. I like to eat them as snacks at work so I would like to be able to make something that I could eat a few days out of the week.

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Eat them with some hummus
    Roast them
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Zucchini or sweet potato baked chips
  • sweating_sweet_tea
    sweating_sweet_tea Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have baby carrots and celery w/ "ranch" the ranch seasoning pack mixed w/ cottage cheese, and can eat fresh cucumbers and tomatoes w/ just a lil salt all day long.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Roast
    Sautée with evoo & garlic
    Stir fry - experiment with making different sauces
    If you like Indian flavors, I eat raw veggies with a squeeze of lemon, black salt, cracked pepper, & cumin. Cucumbers, radishes and tomatoes are good like this
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Marinaded veggies such as, onions, peppers, eggplant, zuchinni, mushrooms. After about an hour skewer them and grilled till done. Yummy
  • elainemorris1982
    elainemorris1982 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I make bbq skewers with - peppers, mushrooms and tamoatoes
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Steam them and sprinkle with some nooch :) That's how I eat a couple cups' worth of veggies every day!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    -Blend spinach or kale in smoothies
    -Make guacamole with kale in it to dip raw veggies in
    -Hummus and salsa also make great dippers
    -Almond butter with carrots or celery
    -Roast up a few trays of veggies on the weekend - such as brussel sprouts, diced squash, sweet potatoes - mix and match to your preference
    -Veggie soup as a snack or side dish
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am in for the smoothie idea. You mix in some spinach and kale with a banana and some coconut water, all your are tasting is banana and you get all those leafy green benefits.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I love roasted veggies.

Preheat overn to 400 degrees.

Wash green asparagus and cut of the dry part of the bottoms.

Line them up in a baking dish that will hold all of them without overlapping. Toss with enough olive oil to coat, salt and pepper.

Slice lemons thin and lay them on top of the asparagus.

Cook for 10 minutes or until tender.

NOM NOM.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    Low fat cream cheese with a bit of water to make it thinner is a good dip.

I like to take a pretty large helping of steamed veggies (asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, onion and mixes peppers usually) with a little vegetable broth, herbs and spices and soy sauce and a serving of rice to eat it with to work for lunch. Heat up the rice and veggies and pour the veggies and broth over the rice. It ends up being around 350 calories the way I package it, so I've more than enough calorie allowance for snacking if I feel hungry later, which is rare.
  • halama626
    halama626 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great ideas!
  • aprilcarlson
    Options
    bump
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Turn them into a dip.

Baba ganoush is roasted aubergine blended with garlic and tahini, but I've found this idea works really well with courgette as well (that's eggplant and zucchini....)

I've seen a carrot-as-humous recipe, grated cucmber with Greek or natural yoghurt is very refreshing in the heat, and peas or broad beans can be used to make a frigolemole.

And of course there's guacamole.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    - Grilled with a little evoo and some seasoned salt
    - Steamed
    - Saute'd with a little evoo and garlic
    - Saute'd with Land O Lakes Saute Express
    - Fresh tomatoes just sliced with a little salt.
    - Corn on the cob is great in the microwave - quick and easy. Leave it in the shuck, microwave for about 3 1/2 to 4 mins per ear. Cut off the top and bottom and just squeeze it out the bottom, and it comes out with very little silk. I use the spray I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter, and a little salt.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    take all of those veggies

add a grill / grill pan.

Fresh garlic, lemon zest, salt, pepper.

you're welcome.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 288
    Options
    If you got a grill throw them on that, after marinade them or some olive oil and seasoning. You can also throw some fruits on the grill too, peaches are in season now and they are spectacular grilled, pineapple does great on a grill too. Grill is usually outside and does not heat up the house in the summer too.

You might want to try and grill over a wood fire too, to me it adds a little extra something to the food.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    make a minestrone ( seasonal vegetable soup )
    vegetable quiche
    vegetable tart

braise some greens like escarole or saute even toss in some chili peppers

with hardier ones you can mash them and eat them as such like parsnips and carrots or even cauliflower/broccoli

make a bread out of them sweet or savory

cut them very thin and bake them very low temp dry them out and they are veg chips
  • TCrawford70
    TCrawford70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!:smile: Bump