Quit drinking, sugar OVERLOAD! OMG!

I made the decision to quit drinking about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't an every day drinker. In fact, towards the end, I drank about once a week, sometimes two. However, I was a binge drinker. And then I would want to eat junk food and then feel out of it for a day or so, so I figured my one night of drinking lasted 3 days. So I quit. I'm doing well. I was ready so it hasn't been really hard. However . . .

I want to eat anything carb or sugar laden like it's going out of style. I had some friends who have been sober for a long time say it's completely normal, so I knew to expect it. But holy Batman is it derailing my weight loss efforts.

One friend says to not worry about my diet right now because my body is just trying to replace the sugar I'm missing out on with no alcohol.

Another says to just fill myself up with healthy food and the cravings will go away.

Last year, I gave up alcohol for Lent and lost 12 lbs. However, at that time, I was drinking a lot more (4-5xs a week) so the weight loss made sense. But now, drinking less than I did before, I didn't expect the cravings for sugar and carbs to be so extreme.

Has anyone else done this? How long did it take for the sugar cravings to go away?

Thank you!

Replies

• mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Part of the process is retraining your body to do without the chemical kick from all the sugar/simple carbs in the alcohol. It's great that you decided to make that change. Try to be methodical about how you are going to go about helping your body adjust to the regular flood of sugar. Maybe it would help to have fruit at the end of every meal? I typically end my day with a fruit smoothie made with greek yogurt and cottage cheese, to slow the processing of the sugars in the fruit.
  • Thanks. I am proud of myself for quitting. It was time. A few years ago, I was an athlete. I ran, I lifted, I pushed my body. And I hurt myself. I found other ways to get fitness in. Then life happened and I found my drinking increasing. I'm turning 37 in 2 days and a few weeks ago I just looked at myself and said "You can live 37 like you did 36: wishing for better but doing nothing about it. Then you can approach 38 as miserable as you were at 36 AND 37 or you can make the changes you know you need to make"

I was sitting on a patio at a bar. I was bored, frustrated and just sick of it. So I put down my unfinished beer and drove home (I had only had 1 1/2 beers, no drunk driving :) ) And here I am.

I am also thinking i also need to increase my protein and good fats to get full because I know as soon as i eat something sugar or carb loaded, I'm still starving.

Overall, I know how to eat healthy. But this time, the intense cravings have taken me by surprise.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Many of my family members have drinking "issues", so a few years ago I read a book titled "Potatoes Not Prozac" and it explained it all in more scientific terms. I recommend that you read this book, and congratulations on your decision to stop drinking.
  • Ribbon35
    Ribbon35 Posts: 12
    good for you! A few yrs back, I too made a 'life decision'. You can do this. Know that in a few days, weeks, months, this will get easier and you will see a brand new you!
  • Thank you, wannabpiper. I will look that book up.
  • Thank you Ribbon. That's what I am looking forward to.