A Sodium intake question :/

Options
Hey all,
I've been looking back through my food diary this morn. Now while I've been keeping an eye on my calorie count,I just today noticed that I'm almost always way below my Daily sodium allowance ?
Is this a good or a bad thing ? ? ? Any help greatly appreciated.

X

Replies

• coniconstance
    coniconstance Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    A good recommendation for sodium is 100mg per 100 calories you are taking in. If you are on a 1500 calorie diet 1500mg of sodium. I think myfitnesspal has it set much higher than that. It is OK to go lower than that, but you do need some sodium. What is your level?
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Are you from the UK/Ireland? If so check your labels again - MFP records sodium in mg but our packets give it in gs. So where a slice of bread says it has 0.1g of sodium, it has 100mg of sodium in it. Also much of the database has inaccurate sodium levels - I checked your diary and, for example, "John West - Tuna With A French Dressing (Tuna With A Twist), 85 g" actually has 400mg of sodium per 100g, but in the database the sodium content is not entered. To be safe I always doublecheck the database with the nutritional info I have on the food in my hand, and change anything that has been recorded incorrectly - and often it is the sodium. Many put the sodium in as gs, and not as mgs so it look like you are eating too little, but you could end up eating too much!
  • mellers1313
    mellers1313 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Are you from the UK/Ireland? If so check your labels again - MFP records sodium in mg but our packets give it in gs. So where a slice of bread says it has 0.1g of sodium, it has 100mg of sodium in it. Also much of the database has inaccurate sodium levels - I checked your diary and, for example, "John West - Tuna With A French Dressing (Tuna With A Twist), 85 g" actually has 400mg of sodium per 100g, but in the database the sodium content is not entered. To be safe I always doublecheck the database with the nutritional info I have on the food in my hand, and change anything that has been recorded incorrectly - and often it is the sodium. Many put the sodium in as gs, and not as mgs so it look like you are eating too little, but you could end up eating too much!

:noway: FEEEECCCCK. I had no idea. Thanks so much for the inf. Am guessing am waaaaaaaaaaay over then !!!! Yikes
    Cheers again
    x
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

:noway: FEEEECCCCK. I had no idea. Thanks so much for the inf. Am guessing am waaaaaaaaaaay over then !!!! Yikes
    Cheers again
    x

Don't worry :) That happened to me when I first started, and only realised a couple of weeks in I was actually eating a lot of sodium! Easiest thing to do is not to add salt to anything, and stay as far away from processed foods as possible.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't even track it and I never add any salt to anything I cook. I just never liked anything too salty..
    All I get is already in the ingredients. Too much sodium seems to be more of a problem in US anyway.

I'm usually around 1000-1500 mg.
  • mellers1313
    mellers1313 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks Y'all for the replies. I'm still shocked and horrifiew.... EEEEK

For the record I don't add (much) salt to what I cook myself, so I'll deffo be keeping an eye on whatever else I'm consuming.

XX
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    btw
    By what I read about sodium the 2500 limit, that the site set for me, sounds pretty high.. Like absolute maximum limit or something..
    I read somewhere that about 1500 mg is a healthy limit for an adult..
    Anyone else heard about this?