Quitting Smoking Cold Turkey

Options

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking.... Why even start in the first place?

This is so helpful. I'm sure the OP, who is doing something good to improve his life, never thought of that.

I just quit again. I quit cold turkey about six years ago but fell off the wagon for a while after going through some crap in my life. I like cold turkey but this time I have kept an ecig around for the times when my cravings are really bad. I haven't used it very much.

I wish you the very best!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else read this and think mmmmm smoked turkey? I should go get some lunch I guess.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I quit as well, 1 month ago. Never felt better :)

Good luck to you!!
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! Download the Cessation Nation App on your phone.... it is what kept me going during times I wanted to sneak and smoke. I am at 203 days today, I've saved $300 and not smoked 1,012 cigarettes. You will be soooo happy that you quit... I truly am.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking.... Why even start in the first place?

Kind of a mute point don't ya think? Everybody does dumb ****...I'm sure you're not the exception.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I too am a quitter :)

I did quit using a recipe that I heard on the Oprah show. Crazy as it seems, it did work for me ( you continue to smoke while doing this)

1. 6-8 oz glass of juice (preferrably cranberry or orange juice)
    2. 1 tsp of creme of tartar (you can purchase in the spice isle -at the grocery store)

Just before bed, empty your bladder. Stir up the ingredients and gulp down as fast as you can. DO NOT go to the restroom again until this has been in your system overnight. If you get up in the "wee" hours (excuse my pun), thats ok, but try to keep in your system. The first time you will actually smell the nicotine flushing from your system, in your morning urine. I know gross but you can only imagine... I was about 1 1/2 packs a day when I quit. You do this method for 7-10 days, still smoking your normal. You will notice that you will begin to only smoke half of a ciggy or have less of a desire to smoke as much as the nicotine is flushing from your body. As the ten day mark approached, I didn't even want one. When I picked up a smoke (as my usual habit with coffee), the taste of the cig was nasty. It made it easier and it only cost me about $4.00 :) You can do it but the recipe only works if your desire to quit as well

GIVE IT A TRY -- going on 6 1/2 years or more
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Did any of You quitters gain weight? I am trying to quit. I am down to about 5 a day.
  • MetalBabyGirl
    MetalBabyGirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 3 days ago, cold turkey. After the first two days, it gets a little easier. Try chewing gum and keeping your hands busy!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 6 years ago -- after 25+ years of smoking (sometimes up to 2-3 packs a day)

I had a wake up call -- at 45, overweight, diabetic -- the doctors told me my heart was 73 years old.
    I quit that day and never looked back. Now I'm down 120lbs, no longer diabetic, no more insulin, no more cigs and feel 30 again.

It's very hard at first -- but if you had a wake-up call and you're committed you can do it.
    "what do I do with my hands" was the hardest part.... I liked to smoke at the computer and while driving...

Think of all the money you'll be saving.... Take that $5 a pack and put it in a jar -- :)

You can do it... and you'll be so much happier for it!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I had a 32 year pack a day habit. I quit January 2012.
    Change any routine you have, and invest in cinnamon sticks, gum and chewing sticks (usually available at health food stores).
    I wish you well.
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked before but can understand wanting to quit something unhealthy... I think that's why we are on MFP. Good luck to you!
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a wise decision. I had been smoking for almost 50 years. From the time I was 30, I have tried just about every method to quit. My best results have been with quitting cold turkey. In 2011 I quit for 9 months, then my ex-husband who I had been taking care of 24/7 for nearly 8 years died. I started smoking again and thought I could just quit after the one pack. NOT! It took me 7 months to quit again after beating myself up.. every... single... day... and now it's been nearly 6 months since quitting.

If you get an urge: Make a list of like.. 10 minute things you can do. Play a computer game, walk around the block, go try on your skinny clothes... anything. The urges will pass and I promise you; the longer you are quit, the shorter, and farther between, the urges get. Just make sure you have your list printed out and keep it with you so you can look at it immediately when you get the urge. Anyway, it's worked for me.

Best of luck
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey is the only way to do it! WILL POWER!!!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Don't you people realize social security is going to be insolvent if you don't go back to those cigarettes? People are living too long already!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Congrats and best of luck. You can do it! I quit cold turkey 4 years ago. I was training for a half marathon and realized there was no way I could do it as a smoker and that it was foolish to work out and then go home and smoke. Also, for me smoking and drinking went hand in hand so I found myself drinking more to smoke more. I had to quit drinking for the first month or two of not smoking. But I did it and I am so glad I did! I won't lie, there are days when I miss it but then I think about all the consequences of smoking (the cost, not being able to breath, stinking like cigarettes) and the temptation goes away. Luckily I am still able to indulge the occasional glass of wine .... or will be able to again once my baby is born :)
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I too am a quitter :)

I did quit using a recipe that I heard on the Oprah show. Crazy as it seems, it did work for me ( you continue to smoke while doing this)

1. 6-8 oz glass of juice (preferrably cranberry or orange juice)
    2. 1 tsp of creme of tartar (you can purchase in the spice isle -at the grocery store)

Just before bed, empty your bladder. Stir up the ingredients and gulp down as fast as you can. DO NOT go to the restroom again until this has been in your system overnight. If you get up in the "wee" hours (excuse my pun), thats ok, but try to keep in your system. The first time you will actually smell the nicotine flushing from your system, in your morning urine. I know gross but you can only imagine... I was about 1 1/2 packs a day when I quit. You do this method for 7-10 days, still smoking your normal. You will notice that you will begin to only smoke half of a ciggy or have less of a desire to smoke as much as the nicotine is flushing from your body. As the ten day mark approached, I didn't even want one. When I picked up a smoke (as my usual habit with coffee), the taste of the cig was nasty. It made it easier and it only cost me about $4.00 :) You can do it but the recipe only works if your desire to quit as well

GIVE IT A TRY -- going on 6 1/2 years or more

I am going to try this.... Thank you!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    That's probably the best thing you will ever do for yourself. I wish my father had, as it was I had to watch him die.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I did it last month... here is how I did it... after I threw away my cigs... I quit talking about it, I DIDNT go on "I Quit" sites, I didnt read a book on it, I didn't remind myself of cigs in any manner! When I felt like I needed a cig, I breathed (if that's a word) through it... I would say the word "CALM" really low and really slow till I had no breath left to blow out... then I did it again till the urge for a cig passed, it takes about 3 to 5 minutes! Good luck to you!!!!
  • mariapg25
    mariapg25 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    May 17th 2012 was my first smoke free day and I too did it cold turkey. I woke up that morning thinking if I keep smoking, my son will eventually not have a mommy anymore. That was enough for me to stop after 15 years. Wishing you luck.
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i quit cold turkey thirteen years ago, coming off a nearly two pack a day habit. i had bronchitis, and was outside in the freezing cold trying to smoke but could only take tiny little drags off my cig without coughing. i looked down at the cig in my hand and had the blinding realization that if i didn't quit, that was how i was going to die. in a bed, drowning in my own lungs, and my whole family sitting around watching it happen. i threw away a nearly full carton of cigs and became a non-smoker. i wasn't 'trying' to quit...i just became a person that didn't smoke anymore. the first few days were bad, but it really wasn't any worse than being really, really sick. and, like being sick, i knew it was something that was going to go away and eventually i'd feel fine. for the first few years i couldn't be around anyone that was smoking, but it doesn't bother me at all now.