Tracking Gain Fitness App Workouts

Options
I just started using the Gain Fitness app yesterday, which started a 5 week plan comprised of 4 workouts/week. The workouts are basically all strength training/weight lifting. At the end of the provided workout, the app gives you a "total calories burned."

I don't know if I should just enter that information, or if I should take the time to enter in each individual strength exercise... Entering them individually would be time consuming, but I don't necessarily trust the app's calculations (not that MFP is entirely accurate all the time).

I'm wondering if anyone else uses this app, and how do you track it?

Replies

• lizabelle1217
    lizabelle1217 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I stopped using the app months ago, but when I used it, I just logged the total number of minutes as "strength training" under cardio on MFP and used the site's calculations. I'm not sure if it's more accurate but I believe the numbers were lower.
  • lizabelle1217
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!

The numbers on MFP are definitely lower than the GAIN app. However, so is the calorie burn I get based on my heart rate monitor. Now, I don't know WHICH number to go with...
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go with the lowest number just to be on the safe side. However, heart rate monitors aren't really accurate for strength training. The monitor relates your heart rate to oxygen consumption, which affects calorie burn. Strength training doesn't require as much oxygen even with an elevated heart rate, so the calorie burns on an HRM could be higher than the actual. A little more info here: http://www.acefitness.org/fitnessqanda/fitnessqanda_display.aspx?itemid=345
  • lizabelle1217
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely agree with going with the lowest number. I always felt the same about when I was doing Weight Watchers - if in doubt go with the highest points/lowest calories burned. Hopefully, it will all balance out.