Calf/Shin pain

Options
I ran 4 1/2 miles outside on Sunday and did a little over a mile on the treadmill yesterday with an incline of 2.0. Today my shins/calfs are sore. Was going to do at least 3 miles today b/c tomorrow and Thursday have no time fo rthe gym. The pain is not horrrible, but don't want to make it worse. You think I should skip the run today and try and fit in tomorrow (which is not ideal) or just give it a few days rest. Next run day would be Friday and I hate to skip that many days.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The shin pain is shin splints. Ice them down. If it's not unbearable you can probably run again. Be sure to stretch them out. The best way to do this is sit down, point your toe and "write" the alphabet with your foot.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Having the same problem when I run. I stretch, but my ankles and shins are weak so I'm trying to to make them stronger with toe lifts.

In the meantime I'm all about the advil and bananas!
  • CenturionVIVII
    Options
    Concur with the first poster. Definitely sounds like shin splints. Incline on treadmill can exacerbate them. Recommend a few days of elliptical or bike instead of running for the next couple of days. Shinsplints can get worse if you don't give them a chance to heal up. Just my .02.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Might be time to get fitted for new shoes.

And strengthen that lower leg musculature.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    How often do you run?

I try never to run on back-to-back days, no matter how badly I really want to. It just tortures my body and I'm more prone to injury. I usually bike between run days.

I'm no expert, but I would say to take a rest day or two.

And I agree, stretching is SOOO important, before and after.
  • melissarae27
    Options
    Stretch very well before and after a run. Wear good shoes. Be careful not to over stride giving more of an impact, and try and land not on your heel but the middle of your foot while running.

After a run I use a foam roller on my shins, stretch stretch stretch, take an advil and ice my shins for 15 mins with my feet up.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I do zero stretching. The most I do for a warmup is to walk or run when I'm going to run.

Are you watching your foot strike? If your landing on your heel, its going to jar your whole body. Also as was said above. Make sure you have proper running shoes.

With shin splints, I can hobble though the first mile and usually the pain goes away. If it doesn't I stop.. then just want a mile back.
  • thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yeah definately shin splints. I had the same problem and just gritted my teeth until a few months back then went and purchased new shoes and voila, pain is gone! Also just try some bodyweight calf raises to tighten em up :)
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do stretch before and after a run and thankfully never had an issue. I'm sure it was from the 2.0 incline on the treadmill yesterday after also doing a circuit workout and a 4 1.2 mile run the day before. I'll probably give it a go today at the gym and see how things feel. If too uncomfortable, will just stop. Trying to build up to a 10k in October.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    you probably should rest today. i get shin splints whenever i jog or run. if i do it 2 days in a row it is even worse. I take ibuprofin or tylenol if it is really bad. Stretching and gentle massaging can help ease the pain as well.