Apple shaped ladies and carb intake

Options
I have a question for all the apple shaped ladies out there.

I feel that we are more prone to insulin resistance as we tend to store fat around the middle. So does a low carb diet help us more than anyone else?

What is your experience?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    we are all individuals and yet no one is a special snowflake.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    p'shaw! I AM a special snowflake!

*hair flip*
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    :huh:

:laugh:

That was my reaction when I read the title.

OP, your shape does't determine what you should eat.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    worst apple crab cake recipe ever.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've been told that I have an apple shape since I hold a lot of fat around my middle (mostly under belly button). I started out doing Atkins eating less than 80 carbs per day and most of them came from fruit. I lost 7lbs in one month. Then I started to eat bread, potatoes, carrots, and crackers and was still losing, so I figured it was ok to have carbs. Today, I eat a limit of 145 per day and even now I try to stay low even in maintenance mode. I think low carb can be good if you aren't very active, but if you exercise regularly, you do need carbs and you also need them for fiber, minerals and vitamins. I mostly just try to stay away from refined sugar, white breads, artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup. This has been helping lose the belly fat. I have lost 20lbs total in 8 months. I was 125 and now I'm 105 (I'm 5'0").

I still have fat around my middle, but I have lost almost 4 inches in that area in the past year and a half. I think eating natural, organic and no added sugar foods has helped me maintain and possible lose body fat %. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with body shape or type. I think everyone is different, but I figure if you put good stuff in you will get better results and live healthier.

Things I eat to help reduce belly fat:
    Almonds, no salt
    Almond Butter
    Cage Free Eggs (I eat them pretty much everyday)
    Avocado
    Agave Nectar (instead of sugar)
    Berries (Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries)
    Leafy Greens
    Carrots/celery/broccoli
    Organic Meat (chicken and turkey)
    72% Dark Chocolate (curb sugar cravings)
    Blue Chips or Popchips (salty cravings)
    Almond Milk
    WATER (it's all I ever drink)
    Sweet Potatoes
    Cinnamon
    Green Tea
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    More then shape, it's manageable lifestyle changes. I've lost weight doing low carb but in the end, it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm much happier counting calories, and watching my macros.
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options
    I've been told that I have an apple shape since I hold a lot of fat around my middle (mostly under belly button). I started out doing Atkins eating less than 80 carbs per day and most of them came from fruit. I lost 7lbs in one month. Then I started to eat bread, potatoes, carrots, and crackers and was still losing, so I figured it was ok to have carbs. Today, I eat a limit of 145 per day and even now I try to stay low even in maintenance mode. I think low carb can be good if you aren't very active, but if you exercise regularly, you do need carbs and you also need them for fiber, minerals and vitamins. I mostly just try to stay away from refined sugar, white breads, artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup. This has been helping lose the belly fat. I have lost 20lbs total in 8 months. I was 125 and now I'm 105 (I'm 5'0").

I still have fat around my middle, but I have lost almost 4 inches in that area in the past year and a half. I think eating natural, organic and no added sugar foods has helped me maintain and possible lose body fat %. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with body shape or type. I think everyone is different, but I figure if you put good stuff in you will get better results and live healthier.

Things I eat to help reduce belly fat:
    Almonds, no salt
    Almond Butter
    Cage Free Eggs (I eat them pretty much everyday)
    Avocado
    Agave Nectar (instead of sugar)
    Berries (Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries)
    Leafy Greens
    Carrots/celery/broccoli
    Organic Meat (chicken and turkey)
    72% Dark Chocolate (curb sugar cravings)
    Blue Chips or Popchips (salty cravings)
    Almond Milk
    WATER (it's all I ever drink)
    Sweet Potatoes
    Cinnamon
    Green Tea

Im 5'0 i weigh 117 pounds and i eat whtever the hell i want and still manage to lose weight. Its not complicated, calorie deficit and strength and cardio training i know people who eat ice cream everyday and look 100 times better then me..
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Op, if you're referring to the idea that apple shaped folks have a higher incidence of metabolic imbalance due to insulin and or blood sugar regulation dysfunction, yes, low carb can help.

Low carb, high fat, moderate protein specifically. I can tell it works for me as I have the glucometernumbers to prove it.

Standard disclaimer applies, your mileage may vary depending on the underlying cause of the nature of the disregulation, however, it'a good place to start.

As in whether hyperglycaemia is secondary or primary dysfunction.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Op, if you're referring to the idea that apple shaped folks have a higher incidence of metabolic imbalance due to insulin and or blood sugar regulation dysfunction, yes, low carb can help.

Low carb, high fat, moderate protein specifically. I can tell it works for me as I have the glucometernumbers to prove it.

Standard disclaimer applies, your mileage may vary depending on the underlying cause of the nature of the disregulation, however, it'a good place to start.

As in whether hyperglycaemia is secondary or primary dysfunction.

Thank you, yes that was what I am getting at. I also feel that Low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet will help.
  • whierd
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor to have your blood sugar tested? Why play a guessing game?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The only rule I'm aware of, is if you are apple shaped, you need to have an increased intake of pears to balance everything out. Vice versa if you are pear shaped. Other than this one rule, I'm not sure there is anything else. I'm planning on writing an article.
  • shutterbug56
    Options
    Personally, I think people who carry most of their extra weight around their midsections (truncal obesity) are that way because of metabolic syndrome, a complex disorder stemming from high refined carb intake. I would suggest reading Dr. Agatston's South Beach Diet book. He gives about the best explanation of metabolic syndrome that I've ever seen. Also, Dr. Mehmet Oz's "Your Body on a Diet" is a great book that explains - in layman's terms - what happens to the entire body when the majority of extra fat is centered around the belly. I've lost 120 pounds in 9 months following the South Beach Diet. Cured my mild diabetes and got me off blood pressure and cholesterol meds. I can't say enough good about it, but it's probably not cut out for everyone. It's a very personal choice.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you know you have a metabolic disorder, and you're struggling to lose, then going lower carb may help. Otherwise, not necessarily. I was apple shaped, and tend to store fat around my mid-section. I eat a lot of carbs, and always have, and didn't have any problems losing at a reasonable rate. Don't assume you have to go low carb just because of your shape.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor to have your blood sugar tested? Why play a guessing game?

If you suspect blood sugar disregulation, no doctor is necessary.

Glucometers are sold in every pharmacy here in the US, over the counter. No Rx is needed and they come with a starter set of 10 glucose testing strips.

The issue is being subclinical and seemingly asymptomatic with the exception of excess weight, while the condition is reported to have a high incidence of reversal or pushing off the inevitable, as opposed to being overtly and frankly diabetic in which case, reversing the condition isn't usually possible, rather, tight control or management for life.

Bloodsugar101.com is a great place to start, click on the link 'the pattern in which diabetes develops' for a better abstract.
  • johnna1212
    johnna1212 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm apple shaped and I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Low carb diets are the only thing that help me keep both in check. I have seen my doctor and we have compared my blood test results from when I am sticking to a low carb diet and when I am not. Low carb for me yields much better results. I would have anybody who questions whether it is right for them to consult their doctor. Your health shouldn't be a guessing game.
  • ukchic25
    ukchic25 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Johnna, I too am apple shaped. :-( How many carbs do you eat per day (an estimate is fine) when living a low carb lifestyle?
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    Wait for it...wait for it...
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'm "apple" shaped. I have a big belly.

I'm not giving up my carbs. Can't make me.
    I'm eating at a deficit, I've started lifting, and I make sure I have decent protein numbers. My "waist" - belly button level - has dropped 3/4 of an inch in 3 weeks!

Yay for carbs and lifting!!
  • whierd
    Options
    Johnna, I too am apple shaped. :-( How many carbs do you eat per day (an estimate is fine) when living a low carb lifestyle?

Have you tried increasing your pear intake to even out your shape?